PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to buy m16 lower parts kit online?

BlackonBlack
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I found a number of websites where people are selling m16 lower parts kits with auto sears. Just says NFA Rules Apply. that's all the components except the bolt carrier to make a f/a m16

Of course I do not have or will ever have a receiver to accept the m16 parts, would it be legal to buy an m16 lower parts kit? I figured it's no different than buying ak47 kits online. Most of those come with full auto components.

MXRider
03-03-2012, 10:54 AM
In CA? No, you can not buy an auto sear.

Outside CA? Yes, it's legal to purchase auto sears in most states if they are registered and you have the appropriate tax stamp. Last RDIAS I saw went for well over $10k though.

As far as the M16 lower parts goes, I don't have an answer for you there.

dachan
03-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Ask the kids burned alive in Waco. BTW, the "M16 parts" will fit in any standard AR receiver.

West9319
03-03-2012, 12:19 PM
BTW, the "M16 parts" will fit in any standard AR receiver.

Cept for the auto sear. AR 15 receivers don't have that 3rd pin hole.

BlackonBlack
03-03-2012, 12:31 PM
You cannot make a standard ar15 select fire with the addition of an m16 lower parts kit.

MXRider
03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
You cannot make a standard ar15 select fire with the addition of an m16 lower parts kit.

Correct, however I would not want to be in possession of an unregistered auto sear.

proclone1
03-03-2012, 2:41 PM

My SpikesTac lower has the red pictogram for full auto, I'm pretty sure I'm GTG ;)

freonr22
03-03-2012, 6:03 PM
Sigs have the sear block also

dachan
03-03-2012, 6:04 PM

Okay, to clarify, the "M16 parts" will fit in any standard AR receiver after a simple modification. The most notable exception are Colt receivers with the sear block. Also to clarify, personal control of a auto sear and a semi-auto AR is constructive possession and may earn you a visit by the ATF.

Quiet
03-03-2012, 10:37 PM
In additon, under CA laws [PC 16880(b)], mere possession of a select-fire (full-auto/burst) M16/M4 lower parts kit equates to possession of a MG.
Even if the possessor does not possess/own a firearm that the parts can be used in.

Just possessing an auto-sear, with no firearm that can use it, will result in a MG charge under CA laws. [PC 32625]

Penal Code 16880
(a) As used in this part, "machinegun" means any weapon that shoots, is designed to shoot, or can readily be restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
(b) The term "machinegun" also includes the frame or receiver of any weapon described in subdivision (a), any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
(c) The term "machinegun" also includes any weapon deemed by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as readily convertible to a machinegun under Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code.

Colt-45
03-04-2012, 12:18 AM

Please elaborate.

m24armorer
03-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Way too much FUD here. Original M16 internal parts are legal. 99% of aftermarket receivers are not machined wide enough or deep enough in the rear trigger well to take the sear. However, installing a M16 hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector will land you in the can. These are original MG parts and not conversion parts. A drop in auto sear IS a conversion part. Just having the 16 parts in your weapon will land you in club FED. The carrier does not matter, the weapon will slam fire even with out the sear.

m24armorer
03-04-2012, 12:53 AM
In additon, under CA laws [PC 16880(b)], mere possession of a select-fire (full-auto/burst) M16/M4 lower parts kit equates to possession of a MG.
Even if the possessor does not possess/own a firearm that the parts can be used in.

Just possessing an auto-sear, with no firearm that can use it, will result in a MG charge under CA laws. [PC 32625]

Penal Code 16880
(a) As used in this part, "machinegun" means any weapon that shoots, is designed to shoot, or can readily be restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
(b) The term "machinegun" also includes the frame or receiver of any weapon described in subdivision (a), any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of partsd, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combin designed and intendeation of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
(c) The term "machinegun" also includes any weapon deemed by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as readily convertible to a machinegun under Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code.

M16 parts NO, DIAS Yes.

Pay attention...designed and intended