PDA

View Full Version : Keep Building or just buy an OBR

Randee
03-03-2012, 9:22 AM
Hey everyone,

Background:
So I promised myself that when I graduated I would get myself something nice.

Issue at hand:
Well that time is coming for me to graduate and I started a bit early on my gift to myself, the issue I'm having is whether to continue building my 308AR or just saying screw it and pay for the OBR & wait the 4 months.

At the current moment, I have my complete lower built with mags - but I'm still waiting on the upper which I wanted to build from the ground up. The reason I have not built the upper yet is because of the fact that I am waiting on the rail I want - which poses another issue. I still do not know which DPMS upper will properly fit & line up with the knights URX rail.

So should I stick it out and built my upper and finish this rifle or just ditch the lower and drop the money on the OBR?

What would you do, I'm torn on both ends and could really use some help on what to do.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed people!
Thanks again
-randy

colossians323
03-03-2012, 9:25 AM
Just build the upper

HK Dave
03-03-2012, 9:26 AM
The OBR is a finished work of art. Get it. :)

You can finish your build little by little and be shooting the OBR meanwhile. Of course you need to spend quite a bit on glass. ;)

Randee
03-03-2012, 9:46 AM
If I end up getting the OBR im selling the lower to assist in funding it

dousan
03-03-2012, 9:57 AM
Obr. And enjoy. Any issues larue will fix it
Build yours on the side thru people selling stuff in the fs forums. Build on the budget over time!

pacifico23
03-03-2012, 10:00 AM
You will regret not getting the OBR, just be patient.

Dhena81
03-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd wait I'm on a waiting list for the PredOBR or whatever in the mean time I'm saving for some S&B.

cutty01
03-03-2012, 2:16 PM
You waited this long, what's 4 more months for one of the best platforms there.

G60
03-03-2012, 2:30 PM
Buy the OBR.

Ubermcoupe
03-03-2012, 3:55 PM
Im in the OBR Camp. Thing’s pretty sweet! :D

-G9b-9ddZc4

cwin
03-03-2012, 7:27 PM
+1 on buying an OBR

The Virus
03-04-2012, 7:11 AM
JP LRP-07

TreeHugger
03-04-2012, 7:50 AM
I was in the same situation. I have a brand new Fulton lower, was debating on building it myself, but obviously I cannot build a Larue OBR. I also have the DPMS SASS upper with Fulton lower, it'll do the job, but a Pinto can also go from point A to point B. Then, I was considering the DPMS LR308 AP4, but for one, DPMS currently has a 6 month wait, longer than Larue, but then McDonald also has more customers than your local high end restaurant, plus I'll be back to pretty much the same situation with the SASS that I already have. I was considering the DPMS, mainly due to the price difference.

So, I finally decided to go the OBR route and I figured the longer I wait, it'll be an extra four months out and the zombies are coming soon. So, I placed the order for the OBR 16" 7.62 just yesterday, with a trigger change from the standard Geisele SSA to the Geisele High Speed DMR, and the A2 flash suppressor to the Smith Enterprise Vortex. Now, I'm not stressed out anymore from looking at all the different options and can get back to work for the next 4 months :)

Waldo
03-04-2012, 10:37 AM
For years, my shooting buddies and I have tried to buy conservative or build our own in the hopes and expectation that the rifle will shoot the way we want them to. Came to the realization that in the end, we end up spending more money on a project and still not have what we wanted, versus doing the research, paying the price up front and get what we were expecting all along.

I ended up with an 18" 7.62 OBR and it has been everything I expected. I'm know there are others out there (GAP, JP, Les Baer ) that are just as good, but I have experience only with the Larue. The shooting buddies have been watching how mine has been doing, had chances to shoot it, and both ended up ordering their own a few weeks ago.

That old saying..pay once, cry once.

WETP
03-04-2012, 6:33 PM
Because is your first AR and you already built the lower I would probably buy a Larue Tactical Stealth Upper for around $1,200.00. And get yourself a good optic (I own and like the Micro T-1 with a LT mount and the Eotech 553).
And remember if your get in the sport one AR won't be enough then buy a PredatOBR.
Good luck!

Randee
03-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Because is your first AR and you already built the lower I would probably buy a Larue Tactical Stealth Upper for around $1,200.00. And get yourself a good optic (I own and like the Micro T-1 with a LT mount and the Eotech 553).
And remember if your get in the sport one AR won't be enough then buy a PredatOBR.
Good luck!

This is my first 308AR, not my first AR...

Also, the stealth uppers are only in 5.56 not 308/7.62

Randee
03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
So... anyone want to buy a complete 308 lower? :devil2:

FCOD
05-12-2012, 9:12 AM
For what it's worth, I was kind of in the same boat. I had built 2 or 3 ARs, but they never really quite did it for me. I was working on my latest one trying to dial it in just to where I wanted it and I was about $1500 into it when I handled my first OBR 5.56. At that point I knew what I had to do. I sold the build I had been working on and purchased a brand new OBR 5.56 from a friend who has an array of Larue rifles. I have to say that other than the UDE APEG grip (not shown in pic) I put on it, there's nothing I really want to change to it other than get optics on it.

I don't have any regrets buying the OBR and it's definitely a rifle worth waiting a few months for.

Also, my friend had thrown an MB556K on it and this thing has ZERO barrel rise or recoil!

Here's some pr0n for you!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/whitestang05/2454b988.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/whitestang05/033f1630.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/whitestang05/e4bbeb86.jpg

IPSICK
05-12-2012, 3:49 PM
JP LRP-07

^Winner!

TreeHugger
05-12-2012, 4:35 PM
OBR

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/ifubad/Misc/Larue556OBR.jpg