PDA

View Full Version : ABC's 20/20 Wants to Interview GGs Who've Used Firearms in Self-Defense

Paladin
04-07-2007, 11:49 AM

April 6, 2007 Have you ever defended yourself from a crime in your home, in your business, or in public by using a gun? Perhaps you warded off a potential attacker by simply showing a gun?

40 states now allow their citizens to obtain conceal-carry permits for handguns. Some people say that's dangerous, while others say it allows them to protect themselves.

If you have a story of self-defense involving the aid of a gun and would like to tell it to 20/20, please fill out the form below. A "20/20" producer may contact you.

Paladin
04-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Forgot to mention: make sure this offer by ABC is posted on your favorite national gun forums too.

anothergunnut
04-07-2007, 1:39 PM
Other questions to be asked by the producer to see if you are fit to represent gun owners: Do you wear camo pants with confederate battle flag tshirts? Can you be goaded into saying things that are racist, homophobic, or anti-semitic? Can we paint you as a redneck slob who acted recklessly with a gun and therefor nobody should be allowed to have guns?

Or the producer could be looking for fair and impartial evidence that might indicate that people should be allowed to have firearms.

wilit
04-07-2007, 2:56 PM
This would be the perfect story for this episode.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=466344&postcount=24
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=466344&postcount=26

NRAhighpowershooter
04-07-2007, 5:45 PM
I'll bet you $1K that they do the story of people using guns in self defense in a negative light!

I don't trust networks to say ANYTHING good about guns....

BLKTALN
04-07-2007, 6:10 PM
I'll bet you $1K that they do the story of people using guns in self defense in a negative light!

agree. probably showing what families had to go through after the incident, blah blah blah... people who successfully defended themselves gets a chance for this interview.

sadly, ones that did not get a chance to survive defending themselves, due to lack of firearm because of the law are... (how to say....) still buried and their family's tears will never be communicated fairly to the public.

KeevinW
04-07-2007, 6:23 PM
There is NO WAY in hell that ABC, or CBS or NBC is going to paint anything related to guns in anything other than a negative light. NO WAY!!!

You know that the "representatives" that they choose will be some toothless hilbilly wearing a "stars & bars" wifebeater shirt, or some skin-head neo-nazi covered in tatoos.

M. Sage
04-07-2007, 6:32 PM
I'd say it's worth a shot for anybody who's been there to try getting on the air. Epsecially people who are straight-laced.

Don't try, always fail.

Mute
04-07-2007, 6:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/sycopupy/Non%20Sequitur/f65b3d60.jpg

They're going to edit and twist anything a GG might say until he appears to be the nut and the criminal appears to be the victim.

Technical Ted
04-07-2007, 6:41 PM
Three years ago, some may recall, a production assistant from MTV/Comedy Central joined Calguns and posted an invitation for a pro-gun spokesperson to appear on a talk/debate show called "CrossBalls" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412118/).
In this parody of topical debate shows, Crossballs pits unsuspecting real experts against comedians posing as experts, debating each other on various issues...

Most the dialogue was improvised by the cast. The other guests had no idea that the show was staged and believed that they were appearing on a real public affairs debate program.

Jim Marsh, a California concealed carry advocate volunteered and was invited to be on the show and regretted it. The cast took someone passionately pro-gun and made a fool of him on national cable.

Fortunately the show lasted only a few episodes before the humor wore off and it met an early demise.

Granted 20/20 is a higher profile news show that's been around for decades. They may be on the up and up. However, anyone who goes on the show should vette the producers intentions out--hopefully with the help of an attorney--and attempt to retain some control over the final use of their interview.

bwiese
04-07-2007, 6:45 PM
Needless to say, they'll find (out of all the submissions) some barely-literate toothless goofs that shot a burglar, (or some guy in TX that shot the guy reposessing his car after sundown).

If ABC really wanted to get a whole raft of these stories, they could just open American Rifleman and read the dozen or so little blurbs each month about folks using firearms in self-defense. These stories made the news and would be easy to run down since they're already kinda self-documented.

Shane916
04-07-2007, 6:57 PM
If ABC really wanted to get a whole raft of these stories, they could just open American Rifleman and read the dozen or so little blurbs each month about folks using firearms in self-defense. These stories made the news and would be easy to run down since they're already kinda self-documented.

Those are indeed very enjoyable to read each month!

Pryde
04-07-2007, 7:41 PM
Ok of all you guys out there who think "the hollywood anti-gunners are out to get you" and that they are looking for someone to be made fool of:

How many of you have actually WATCHED 20/20?

John Stossel, who has been on 20/20 for probably almost 10 years has been a constant advocate of the Bill of Rights: if anything, his platform is to expose all the myths perpetrated by the Mainstream Media.

Here's an article Stossel wrote about Gun Control Myths back in 2005.

http://realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-10_19_05_JS.html

Here is a part from an article written by stossel THIS WEEK.

Here's another example. What do you think is more dangerous, a house with a pool or a house with a gun? When, for "20/20," I asked some kids, all said the house with the gun is more dangerous. I'm sure their parents would agree. Yet a child is 100 times more likely to die in a swimming pool than in a gun accident.

Parents don't know that partly because the media hate guns and gun accidents make bigger headlines. Ask yourself which incident would be more likely to be covered on TV.

Please, next time do some research before you start accusing and being unreasonably paranoid: that is what makes us look bad.
Cheers

Technical Ted
04-07-2007, 7:45 PM
John Stossel, who has been on 20/20 for probably almost 10 years has been a constant advocate of the Bill of Rights: if anything, his platform is to expose all the myths perpetrated by the Mainstream Media.

Here's an article Stossel wrote about Gun Control Myths back in 2005.

http://realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-10_19_05_JS.html
Yes. Stossel actually did a broadcast piece where criminals admitted that they were afraid of armed citizens. 20/20 may do a rational piece on RKBA. However, it's still a good idea to vette out whether the producer has an agenda.

SunshineGlocker
04-07-2007, 8:22 PM
Ok of all you guys out there who think "the hollywood anti-gunners are out to get you" and that they are looking for someone to be made fool of:

I hate all this "the Hollywood anti-gunner conspiracy" stuff. It isn't true. These guys just want to get exciting stories that will get people to watch their shows. Beyond that, they don't care if it's positive or negative.

Ratters
04-07-2007, 8:28 PM
If Stossel is doing it this could be a good thing. Any of the others and probably not. Stossel is great though, his specials should be required watching in high schools.

Pryde
04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
If Stossel is doing it this could be a good thing. Any of the others and probably not. Stossel is great though, his specials should be required watching in high schools.

Stossel is one of 20/20's co-anchors, I highly doubt they would run an anti-gunner piece with him helming the show.

dwtt
04-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Stossel is one of 20/20's co-anchors, I highly doubt they would run an anti-gunner piece with him helming the show.

It's very possible the show will be anti-gun even with John Stossel on the show. In his book, Give Me A Break, Stossel confirms all that we've suspected of the media, it's extremely liberal and not open to opposing ideas or even open debate. He talks about the battles he's had to fight with other members of the 20/20 staff, producers, editors, lawyers, and the executive people.
I don't think any pro 2nd A gun owner with common sense would volunteer to be interviewed for the show, because it's a given that the interview will be twisted to be anti-gun. If ABC wanted to get stories of people who've used a gun to defend themselves, they should go to New Orleans and interview the people who were able to protect themselves with guns against looters and criminals in the days just after Hurricane Katrina hit, but before the police disarmed them.

BLKTALN
04-07-2007, 11:13 PM
It's very possible the show will be anti-gun even with John Stossel on the show. In his book, Give Me A Break, Stossel confirms all that we've suspected of the media, it's extremely liberal and not open to opposing ideas or even open debate. He talks about the battles he's had to fight with other members of the 20/20 staff, producers, editors, lawyers, and the executive people.
I don't think any pro 2nd A gun owner with common sense would volunteer to be interviewed for the show, because it's a given that the interview will be twisted to be anti-gun. If ABC wanted to get stories of people who've used a gun to defend themselves, they should go to New Orleans and interview the people who were able to protect themselves with guns against looters and criminals in the days just after Hurricane Katrina hit, but before the police disarmed them.

+1. good point!

leelaw
04-08-2007, 12:16 AM
The only way I'd EVER agree to do something like that is if I had full editorial control of the final cut. They edit it to make me sound like a psycho - I pull the plug. Anything less and you're only screwing yourself, which coincidentally is probably going to be their goal, too.

CalNRA
04-08-2007, 12:21 AM
I hate all this "the Hollywood anti-gunner conspiracy" stuff. It isn't true. These guys just want to get exciting stories that will get people to watch their shows. Beyond that, they don't care if it's positive or negative.

I suggest you contact them and let them interview you and see if you come out looking positive on their show. I mean, there is no anti-gun media, right?

Steyr_223
04-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Evil will always win when the Good do nothing.

JALLEN
04-08-2007, 6:53 PM
They should contact the woman in Texas, now a state representative, who watched her parents shot to death by that killer in the Killeen cafeteria, while her pistol was in the glove compartment because it was illegal to bring in the restaurant.

SunshineGlocker
04-08-2007, 7:21 PM
I suggest you contact them and let them interview you and see if you come out looking positive on their show. I mean, there is no anti-gun media, right?

I've never used a gun for self-defense, so... no story.

JALLEN
04-08-2007, 7:31 PM
Here is the woman I referred to above, Dr. Susan Gracia-Hupp, I believe her name is. Watch this video, if for no other reason than to see Chuck Shumer sitting there like a busted school-boy, very uncomfortable. It's almost enough to make me think he has a sense of shame after all.

http://www.redneckworld.com/Redneck_Humor/GunControlWitness.wmv

Parag
04-08-2007, 9:23 PM
Evil will always win when the Good do nothing.

"Evil will always win, because Good is Dumb!" --Dark Helmet

AJAX22
04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok.. I spent winter of 2004 working at ABC 20/20 in NYC so I actually know most of the producers who are probably working on this project. most of the senior producers and staff are not anti gun. some of them have little or no experiance with guns, and they are mostly new yorkers so they have a slightly skewed perspective to begin with, but that doesn't mean that they can't be won over.

when I left I was researching a story for them about increased restrictions on guns post 9/11 and the impracticality of restricting inanimate objects which can be made simply and quickly out of parts available mail order. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers on this project don't have some of the binders that I prepared on RKBA issues.

The only thing you have to be warry of is the angle that they are looking to take with it. The target market is women age 25-60, and they want stories that have victims who can cry for the camera. if they are looking for victims who successfully defended themselves, then they already have a few who are going to cry on cammera. This could be a very good thing. we are being given a chance to be ambassadors to the world on a national platform, if you are articulate and confident we gain points with a key demographic who traditionally doesn't vote in ways that are good for the 2A.

don't just dissmiss this as 'liberal media bs'

If you do contact ABC 20/20, find out which producer is handeling hte project and the personell involved. PM me and I'll give you the straight skinney on them (if they were there when I was at 20/20)

LAK Supply
04-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Here is the woman I referred to above, Dr. Susan Gracia-Hupp, I believe her name is. Watch this video, if for no other reason than to see Chuck Shumer sitting there like a busted school-boy, very uncomfortable. It's almost enough to make me think he has a sense of shame after all.

http://www.redneckworld.com/Redneck_Humor/GunControlWitness.wmv

I love that woman. Nothing like reminding the mighty elites that the 2nd is there to protect us from them. Not that it will make a difference to that bastard Schumer, but I applaud that woman for standing up to him.

And then there's sarah brady............ What a difference a sane perspecive can make.

N6ATF
03-04-2009, 3:21 PM
Whatever happened to this show?

yellowfin
03-04-2009, 3:37 PM
Dr. Hupp needs to come here and get the population turned around in this state.

Kid Stanislaus
03-04-2009, 5:43 PM

Well gee Sunshine, what do you suppose makes for a more "exciting" story? Is it "guns are OK", or is it "guns are BAD AND EVIL"?

N6ATF
03-04-2009, 5:49 PM
Such simple terms would make neither story exciting. Stories of criminals being defeated by anybody with any weapon are exciting.

Kid Stanislaus
03-04-2009, 5:56 PM
Such simple terms would make neither story exciting. Stories of criminals being defeated by anybody with any weapon are exciting.

To who? Enthusiastic gun owners? To the average Joe or Jane? I think its a hard sell outside of the pro-gun folk.

aileron
03-04-2009, 6:01 PM
Holy necro post... but good question. What did happen to this?

Dr Rockso
03-04-2009, 7:10 PM
Holy necro post... but good question. What did happen to this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoLuTjguJA

Very pro-gun.

Nodda Duma
03-04-2009, 7:15 PM
Nice

-Jason

N6ATF
03-04-2009, 8:01 PM
To who? Enthusiastic gun owners? To the average Joe or Jane? I think its a hard sell outside of the pro-gun folk.

To anti-criminal folk.

Very pro-gun.

Awesome!

Vtec44
03-04-2009, 8:06 PM
I like John Stossel for many reasons, and this is one of them. He should run for President. :D

7x57
03-05-2009, 12:43 AM

Very pro-gun.

I guess I will have to remember never to say that the media *always* smears guns. That piece was just fine.

7x57

Sam
03-05-2009, 2:37 AM
I always liked John Stossel.

nicki
03-05-2009, 2:43 AM
John Stossel has actually given us fair coverage and if he is involved, it has a chance of being balanced.

He has aired positive pieces on Concealed Carry already.

Nicki

Liberty1
03-05-2009, 3:02 AM

Not everything is bad...

From last year a must see by "ABC Nightline":
ZmZic2VFGyI&feature

luchador768
03-05-2009, 4:04 AM
The first thing I thought of was the "gun owner" video question from the democratic presidential debate. The guy in camo that holds up his AR and asks "who will protect my baby?" Nothing like giving the media a noose already tied around your neck.