PDA

View Full Version : what size roll pins do i need to build just a ar15 lower?

gant
03-02-2012, 8:59 PM
sorry if this has been asked but what size roll pin punchs do i need to build a stripped lower?

i know ive read you dont really need roll pin punches but id like the install to go smoothly since this is the first one im going to build

from some google searching someone i read said, theres only two roll pins for the lower receiver 1/8 for the trigger gaurd and 3/32 for the bolt catch is that right?

hornswaggled
03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Also a 5/32 will help.

rareair
03-03-2012, 6:32 AM
PM me your address, I'll drop the two roll pins required in the mail for you on Monday.

paintballergb
03-03-2012, 6:58 AM
You have the right idea. I didn't use roll pin punches and I kind of f'ed them up.

CIV Tactical
03-03-2012, 7:26 AM
If your looking to have a good set, check out brownells.com. they have a complete ar 15 roll pin punch set and starter punch set. These are the right tools for the job and will make your builds cleaner and easier.

russ69
03-03-2012, 7:42 AM
The two tools that really make it easy are a roll pin punch that holds the bolt release roll pin so you can do it one handed and a small punch to run through the hole and hold the bolt release in place while you hammer the roll pin in from the other side.
Also handy is a small block of wood to back up the flange for the trigger roll pin install.

-hanko
03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
The two tools that really make it easy are a roll pin punch that holds the bolt release roll pin so you can do it one handed and a small punch to run through the hole and hold the bolt release in place while you hammer the roll pin in from the other side.
Also handy is a small block of wood to back up the flange for the trigger roll pin install.
Make the small punch from a piece of brass rod (hobby or rc shop). You can make similar pins for the hammer and trigger holes if it will help you when tapping in the real pins.

-hth

hanko