PDA

View Full Version : CCW in Sac County IMPOSSIBLE?

OZONE78
04-07-2007, 6:38 AM
I applied for a CCW in Sac last year (right after McGuiness became sheriff) and I was immediately denied (everyone in my "firearms" circle of buddies said it was next to impossible to get one, but after being assaulted -once w/my 12-yr old son- in rural & urban areas, I felt I would give it a try.) I appealed, and was sent a (seemingly) "duplicate" of the first denial letter. I think the cop's signature was even a photocopy! The "letter" BOTH said I didn't have good cause/didn't have enough evidence that my family or I am in any "immediate danger to warrant the issuance of a CCW." It seems like a "form" letter the dept. immediately sends out to any citizen who applies for one. Am I just a douchebag for even thinking I could get "permission" to have the ability to defend myself/family if attacked away from home? Looks like my associates were right................Any thoughts/help?(I now have to wait 1 year from when I was denied to re-apply.) Oh, one more thing: if your innitials are S.N. & you are banned from at least one shooting range in Elk Grove, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST.
Regards,
OZ

Wulf
04-07-2007, 7:37 AM
If you want a permit the only direct method of getting one is to move to a nearby county that has more respect for your right to KABA. If you've got money and you're willing to follow an indirect method you could enlist some legal and try the courts, or you could big donor, holster sniffer route.

Moving is probably cheaper than the other two methods and gives you better odds.

ask80
04-07-2007, 10:04 AM
did you file a police report of the assault incident? so at least you have documentation that it happened.

Quiet
04-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Just curious as to what your "good cause" statement was.

Sac Sheriff CCW policy statement...
Sacramento County consists of urban, suburban, rural and wilderness area. What may be good cause in one area of the county may not be in another area.

In making a determination as to good cause, the Sheriff will consider all available information and, where there exists a sufficient nexus between the approval of a concealed weapons permit and the avoidance of victimization, make that decision most beneficial to public good and safety. The mere fear of victimization, or desire to carry a firearm, shall be insufficient.

anotherone
04-07-2007, 11:00 AM
It is actually possible to win a CCW in Sacramento county if you are savvy enough to the laws and pursue the CCW in the courts. All CCWs issued in Sacramento county are issued through the courts, even the ones that actually meet the strict requirements of the Sheriff's department.

Right now the way most people I know are getting CCWs is by investing in ATM machines. You purchase one or two ATMs and find friends/family that own businesses who are willing to have them there. Then you explain in your justification for the CCW that you are a business owner who regularly carries $1,000+ in cash. The Sheriff will send you a form letter denying your application, you hire an attorney, and you prevail in court and the CCW is issued.

My friend recently went through this process and it cost him well over $10,000 in ATM investments and attorney's fees. So this is a wealthy man's game. If you don't own property and are mobile then you should move to Roseville or Rocklin (Placer county area) or you can move to Clarksburg/Freeport (Yolo county).

Keep in mind that if you are truely paranoid you can still utilize the following equiptment:

Bulletproof Vest aka Bodyarmor
Knife
Pepper Spray
Taser (very effective and has a range of over 15 feet!)

good luck!

Paladin
04-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Step One: go to: www.californiaccw.org and read all the relevant info in the Sac Co. forum. There's also a new forum, www.calccw.com that you might want to ck out.

Re. forums: the "info" you get there varies acc to the poster.

Step Two: go to www.californiaconcealedcarry.com Team Billy Jack may be able to salvage your situation w/o having to move. But you must be willing to do the homework they assign you (first assignment: go thru their whole site reading all the material relevant to you before contacting them) and be willing to go to court if necessary. We've discussed this option previously at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=48160

OZONE78
04-07-2007, 3:35 PM
Step One: go to: www.californiaccw.org and read all the relevant info in the Sac Co. forum. There's also a new forum, www.calccw.com that you might want to ck out.

Re. forums: the "info" you get there varies acc to the poster.

Step Two: go to www.californiaconcealedcarry.com Team Billy Jack may be able to salvage your situation w/o having to move. But you must be willing to do the homework they assign you (first assignment: go thru their whole site reading all the material relevant to you before contacting them) and be willing to go to court if necessary. We've discussed this option previously at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=48160
That ,at least, sounds hopeful. Thank you. Oh, am I still going to have to hire a lawyer? By the way, a couple of months after receiving my appeal denial, I became a factory-certifted Glock armorer. I work out of my home workshop, and I am (on a pretty regular basis) transporting & picking up fireams to/from clients after repairing/customizing,etc. Does this change things in MY favor now, possibly?

OZONE78
04-07-2007, 3:43 PM
I thought it was illegal for non L.E. to wear body armor, and that you can't even find a dealer who will sell it to you. Also, since my denial, I have become a factory-certified GLOCK armorer and I am regularly working on & trans-
porting weapons to/from their owners. Think that might give me more leverage now?

SunshineGlocker
04-07-2007, 3:51 PM
If you want to get issued in the situation you're in, you can either move, or you need to get help from the legal system. The legal system is not for those who are of limited time or means.

Remember, sheriffs are elected officials. Vote for someone else in 2010. And also remember that your police chief can issue CCWs, and police chiefs are (effectively) appointed by the city council, and city councilors are elected officials. Did you talk to the city council candidates in the last election? Why not?

SunshineGlocker
04-07-2007, 4:21 PM
Incumbent sheriffs rarely lose elections, and they are up every 4 years. City council members, on the other hand, are up for a vote every 2 years and the outcome is often decided by a dozen votes here and there. The main issues in city councils are development, land use, building permits and traffic. If someone can pick up a dozen extra votes on something as obscure as CCW, that candidate will take a stand on it.

If you care about CCW get involved in your local (city) politics and it can happen, in all but the biggest cities.

Shane916
04-07-2007, 4:39 PM
Oh, one more thing: if your innitials are S.N. & you are banned from at least one shooting range in Elk Grove, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST.

There is only one shooting range in Elk Grove :) I'm intrigued to hear more about the story behind this though! Anyways yeah Sac CCW is a difficult one, but like previously mentioned I heard Placer county is way easier and you could live in Roseville and obtain a CCW. Anyone here in Placer County have a CCW?

dicast
04-07-2007, 6:29 PM
become a LEO. no question ask...CHP, CDCR, SAC PD as well as SACSHERIFF are hiring

OZONE78
04-07-2007, 7:11 PM
what makes me mad is that that sherrif said he would do ccw's but after being ellected decided not to

It is yet ANOTHER example of the selfishness;dishonesty;corruption;lying/cheating/anything-to-get-another-vote life of these miserable c*******ers that call themselves polititions. As soon as they are elected, guess what? F**K YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are ya gonna do? COMPLAIN???????
Holy God, do I hope there IS REALLY a Judgement Day!!!!
Regards, (and sorry, I get VERY worked up when I am reminded every day that there are sub-idiots out there who control our freedom/rights, and there's not a THING we can do about it!)
OZ

matarlegoate
04-07-2007, 7:48 PM
I've never seen anyone with a CCW in Sac county. I had one out of state, and then in Placer county. After having one for about 5 years in Placer county, I decided to apply in Sac County because I was moving. I had finished the pc 842 course, had worked in a jail for several years as a nurse, and was a 12 year military vet.

Of course, Sacto, in their divine wisdom denied my permit.

My dad also has one in Butte county which the good cause of "personal protection" was an appropriate justification for the permit.

SunshineGlocker
04-07-2007, 8:08 PM
Well, get active! What have you (all of you who have been denied) done about it? Did you talk with the sheriffs candidates before the election? How many city council members have you talked with? Did you talk with them before the election? Have you written letters to a newspaper? Passed out flyers at your shooting range? What have you done?

anotherone
04-07-2007, 11:26 PM
I thought it was illegal for non L.E. to wear body armor,

Wrong. It is only unlawful to wear body armor if you are a convinted felon. Be aware though that any crime committed while wearing body armor is increased to a felony, thus it would be foolish to unlawfully carry a concealed handgun while wearing it.

Although it is technically lawful to purchase and sell body armor to civilians in the state of California you won't find anyone to sell it. Hence you'll have to purchase it out of state. It is likewise 100% lawful to purchase an import it, no state has any regulations regarding body armor, the only regulations are on the federal level.

CalNRA
04-08-2007, 12:32 AM
It is yet ANOTHER example of the selfishness;dishonesty;corruption;lying/cheating/anything-to-get-another-vote life of these miserable c*******ers that call themselves polititions. As soon as they are elected, guess what? F**K YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are ya gonna do? COMPLAIN???????
Holy God, do I hope there IS REALLY a Judgement Day!!!!
Regards, (and sorry, I get VERY worked up when I am reminded every day that there are sub-idiots out there who control our freedom/rights, and there's not a THING we can do about it!)
OZ

well, according to some real knowledgable people here , if they treat you with aragonce and dishonesty, go JOIN THEM!!!!:eek:

OZONE78
04-08-2007, 9:41 AM
I've never seen anyone with a CCW in Sac county. I had one out of state, and then in Placer county. After having one for about 5 years in Placer county, I decided to apply in Sac County because I was moving. I had finished the pc 842 course, had worked in a jail for several years as a nurse, and was a 12 year military vet.

Of course, Sacto, in their divine wisdom denied my permit.

My dad also has one in Butte county which the good cause of "personal protection" was an appropriate justification for the permit.

Actually, I KNOW 2. One is a lawyer. The other is a pharmacuetical distributor (drug dealer!). Many people tell me that you have to ABSOLUTELY BE "CONNECTED" to get one here. Go figure................................
Regards,
OZ

OZONE78
04-08-2007, 9:47 AM
well, according to some real knowledgable people here , if they treat you with aragonce and dishonesty, go JOIN THEM!!!!:eek:

I believe that you have to have something missing in your brain to "JOIN THEM", and I guess I was just born w/ that "thing", so I'm afraid that would be impossible. Couldn't sleep at night or even live w/ myself.

CalNRA
04-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I believe that you have to have something missing in your brain to "JOIN THEM", and I guess I was just born w/ that "thing", so I'm afraid that would be impossible. Couldn't sleep at night or even live w/ myself.

not according to this guy

become a LEO. no question ask...CHP, CDCR, SAC PD as well as SACSHERIFF are hiring

I guess I was born with that, "thing" as well.

SunshineGlocker
04-08-2007, 1:36 PM
I must turn the question back on you: why are you asking us how difficult it is? There are many "I heard from someones" in this thread. Why not send the Sacramento County a PRAR to find out the real scoop? You can get a list of the names of everyone who applies, who was issued, and who was denied. You can look at the good cause statements of both accepted apps and denied apps. That will give you some solid information about this, and it is a good way to "rattle the cages" as they say.

Let them know that there is indeed a CCW movement here in California and we're going to win through the electoral process and through the legal process if need be.

OZONE78
04-08-2007, 2:49 PM
I must turn the question back on you: why are you asking us how difficult it is? There are many "I heard from someones" in this thread. Why not send the Sacramento County a PRAR to find out the real scoop? You can get a list of the names of everyone who applies, who was issued, and who was denied. You can look at the good cause statements of both accepted apps and denied apps. That will give you some solid information about this, and it is a good way to "rattle the cages" as they say.

Let them know that there is indeed a CCW movement here in California and we're going to win through the electoral process and through the legal process if need be.

I guess I was just looking for something I thought I might have been missing prior to discovering this forum. Guess I wasn't missing anything.
Regards,
OZ

anotherone
04-08-2007, 6:15 PM
Actually, I KNOW 2. One is a lawyer. The other is a pharmacuetical distributor (drug dealer!). Many people tell me that you have to ABSOLUTELY BE "CONNECTED" to get one here. Go figure................................
Regards,
OZ

Nah, you don't have to be connected, you just have to be extremely persistant and have the financial and educational foundation neccessary to pursue your goal of getting a CCW. like i said I know a couple of guys that started an s-corp and invested in ATM machines. Like everyone else they got a form letter saying NO, then they appealed it over the course of the next 2 years and won. It's possible to get one in Sacramento but it is costly in terms of time and money. Creativity is certainly a factor almost every time as well :)!

Surveyor
04-08-2007, 8:45 PM
I work with a CCW permit holder who lives down the street from me (In Roseville). He spent a bunch of time and $$ on Gunsite training, etc... before applying. In Placer Co. a previous denial for a CCW permit is an instant DQ for subsequent applications, so it's best to have all of your ducks in a row before you apply.