View Full Version : Lightweight AR build - Honest feedback appreciated

03-02-2012, 3:54 PM
I'm working on a lightweight AR build, and wanted to look for some honest feedback. Or maybe I'm just anxious to finish my build but don't yet have all the parts so what else than to talk and dream. Either way, please be honest - both the good and bad.

Starting with a New Frontier Armory polymer complete lower, I plan on changing out all of the lower parts to DPMS with WMD guns nickel boron FCG and Raddlock. Keeping the New Frontier Armory adjustable stock.

The upper will be WMD Nickel Boron (WMD painted black), BCM Mod 4 charging handle, WMD upper small parts kit (which don't match, they don't paint these), and WMD Nickel Boron BCG.

The barrel is Palmetto State Armory 14.7", CHF, mid-length gas with permanently attached BCM 1.0. While I was at it, I had the area under the handguard reprofiled to the lightest possible profile. The gas block is a black clamp on Vltor (.750). Spikes melonite gas tube.

Sights are Magpul black MBUS front and rear, with Primary Arms Micro Dot.

Finally, the handguard will be a 11" Troy TRX (the old one with circular holes) Battlerail to cover the gas block.

My initial thoughts are that I could have gone even a bit lighter had I found a true pencil profile barrel, 14.5" with BC 1.5, and carbon fiber handguard. I ended up finding some, but they were either out of stock, or much more expensive.

Burtally honest opinions anyone?

03-02-2012, 3:59 PM
If you're going to swap internal parts, please don't use DPMS. they're probably just as bad as the stock ones.

For the price of the WMD BCG, i'd get a BCM, DD or LMT and have $60 extra for something else.

A melonite gas tube isn't necessary, but since it's about the same price as a normal one, you get a pass here.

03-02-2012, 3:59 PM
First thing I would do differently would be DD or PSA LPK instead of DPMS. Haven't heard a lot of great things about DPMS LPKs in my circle.

03-02-2012, 4:16 PM
Did I forget to mention that in addition to light weight, I was also going for tacticool?

Agree on the DPMS LPK, but that was what I had laying around and I was already way over budget.

As for the WMD BCG, would you agree that Nickel Boron is way more tacticool?

03-02-2012, 4:22 PM
avoid the DPMS, LPK. For price DD is good to go, Armalite also. DD rail is light as can be, the new DD tube with top rail is similar to Troy but a little lighter. length of rail also adds weight. Obviously a 9" is lighter than the 11". How about Troy alpha w/ built in front sight. Maybe a 9" rail then a YHM flip sight/ gas block. It's a light weight compo block w/ sight built in. The VLTOR collapsable stock is lighter than M4, midway when in stock has them clearanced for $50

d sauce
03-02-2012, 4:27 PM
I love Troy, but if you are going for lightweight, I would look into a shorter DD lite rail. Shorter may leave your gas block slightly exposed though. They are pricey new but very light. I have seen decent deals on them in the for sale section. Just some food for thought. Good luck on the build.

03-02-2012, 9:01 PM
You're spending too much on the upper and BCG as well as the other "options" (melonite) on there. Stick with a standard Auto BCG to save money. Skip Troy rails and get standard polymer rails (Magpul?). You will significantly save weight on your rifle.

This is my lightweight build and I weigh in at 6 lbs 6 oz. YMMV. Good luck with your build.

03-03-2012, 5:00 PM
NiteQwill - Thanks for your feedback. Is your 6 lbs 6 oz with everything shown? Optics, magazine (empty?), etc.

03-03-2012, 5:29 PM
NiteQwill - Thanks for your feedback. Is your 6 lbs 6 oz with everything shown? Optics, magazine (empty?), etc.

Yes. It's a lightweight (pencil) barrel, btw.

I would save money (off your original options) and put it towards rounds downrange.

03-04-2012, 3:46 PM
Almost done with the build, just missing some small parts. So far my scale says 6 lbs and something ounces. If anyone is interested, I can post pics.

Sgt. J Beezy
03-04-2012, 5:27 PM
Pics pleas!