PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on the LAPD Gun Unit situation?

soopafly
03-02-2012, 9:47 AM
I saw that this thread is now locked:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172349

I was just wondering if there are any updates that can be shared publicly. Even if a simple, "The Right People still have this on their radar" is the only information that can be divulged.

My understanding is that in general, the rank and file LAPD are supportive of 2A rights as demonstrated by the interaction with them during the "Downtown L.A." exercise a while back where Gene spoke. It appears to be specifically the top brass and the Gun Unit in particular that seems to want to deny 2A rights for citizens.

vantec08
03-02-2012, 9:48 AM
Correct on the top brass. Police brass have been politicized.

SanPedroShooter
03-02-2012, 9:53 AM
I think these 'gun unit' guys are cross sworn as US marshall's.... The crisscross the country hooking up gun owners for paperwork violations....;)

The gun owners boogeyman.

Whenever I envision getting murdered by the police in a 'raid' for my facebook pictures, its always the LAPD gun unit, not the ATF....

Hopefully they've been given jobs writing citations for 'faliure to pick up dog ****'

Cue the black helicopters and kick opened door in 3,2,1.....

HowardW56
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
I think these 'gun unit' guys are cross sworn as US marshall's.... The crisscross the country hooking up gun owners for paperwork violations....;)

As I understand it, Deputy US marshals do not make any probable cause arrests, all of their operations are fugitive warrant, bench warrant, or other court ordered arrest. If they observe something, they will detain and hand off to either local Law Enforcement or other Federal agencies.

SanPedroShooter
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
It was a joke, but I thought I heard that somewhere. I thought it was so they could cross state borders and bust people at gun shows.:90:

I heard they also do high cap interdiction from helo platforms on the freeway too.

Paul S
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Don't know if there's been any progress on this issue.

But consider the idiocy of this situation..

Going back to court to get a previous court order enforced.
While I'm tempted to add...only in the People's Republik...my guess is that is not the case. :mad:

HowardW56
03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
It was a joke, but I thought I heard that somewhere. I thought it was so they could cross state borders and bust people at gun shows.:90:

I heard they also do high cap interdiction from helo platforms on the freeway too.

The LAPD gun unit has done plenty of damage around the state, they don't need to travel to another state to screw people...

soopafly
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
The LA Gun Unit is the type of rogue government authority that the Founding generation worried about.

Originally created to take a bite out of gang firearm crime, the Gun Unit quickly realized that the gang bangers shot back. Since that work was hard and dangerous they've decided that the law abiding are a much easier target.

Undermining and even forcing them to disband or at least actually focus only on people who, say, have at least one felony on their records already would be doing something very good for everyone.

-Gene
I think this is the pertinent quote from the other thread

HBrebel
03-03-2012, 8:06 AM
I think this is the pertinent quote from the other thread

I agree 100%!!!! Just like the FDA taking guns to a raid on the Amish for selling raw dairy products. Just a bunch of cowards trying to terrorize the people without risk of retaliation. Time for those government spending cuts.

Pixs
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I was hopeing this was a joke but... http://reason.com/blog/2011/05/16/raw-milk-raid-on-amish-farmer

eltee
03-04-2012, 8:49 AM
It is common for local officers to be sworn in as "Special US Deputy Marshals." This is a long standing practice for task force members, cross jurisdiction operations, etc. just as local PD's will swear in feds as local "special officers" etc. in order to allow joint jurisdiction. For example, a US Park Police Officer might have the following ID's in his pocket if working the Golden Gate National Recreation Area:

1. USPP ID
2. San Mateo Co., Marin Co. special deputy
3. San Francisco special police
4. Special commission, Calif. Dept. of Fish and Game
5. Special commission, US DFW

By the same token, a local police officer assigned to a drug task force would have his dept. ID plus the generic US Special Deputy Marshal ID (they have a red box with an expiration date since these are limited appointments) which allows him to investigate and enforce federal laws. A recent example of this was publicized in Arizona where Sheriff Joe and several deputies were required to turn in their federal commissions re. the enforcement of federal immigration laws. Using the US Marshal seemed to be the common practice instead of the individual departments. Cops assigned as sky marshals through the old FAA (pre-TSA) would use the Special US Marshal ID as their primary ID card coupled with an FAA shield.

As special US marshals, locals can serve warrants, investigate and make arrests for violations of federal law. Depends on the MOU between the agencies, but generally they have the authority to hook and book badguys.

resident-shooter
03-04-2012, 9:01 AM
Just a bunch of cowards trying to terrorize the people without risk of retaliation.

:iagree:

repoman1984
03-04-2012, 9:41 PM
From what I've seen LAPD gun unit is pretty stupid, stupid as defined as "willfully ignorant" None of them I spoke with knew what the actual length of the CA OAL was. These were "detectives" my .02