PDA

View Full Version : bent AK berral.

Hovo
03-02-2012, 3:16 AM
Hello, I have a Saiga 7.62 which the receiver is stripped besides the trunions and the berral. I bought this with a bent berral and was wondering if theres any gunsmiths local that can press out my berral and press in a new virgin berral, I have all the parts necessery just dont have the tools and the knowhow.

anyone can point me in the right direction would be appricated.

PS. I live in near LA but willing to drive a fair distance, have all the parts needed and willing to pay for services.

Freagan
03-02-2012, 3:28 AM
Any pics of the barrel?

Hovo
03-02-2012, 4:08 AM
give me a min ill post some

Hovo
03-02-2012, 4:47 AM
here ya go.. hope this gives you guys an idea

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=137850&d=1330692394
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=137851&d=1330692426
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=137852&d=1330692455

zfields
03-02-2012, 6:30 AM
Holy jeebus.

ZX-10R
03-02-2012, 6:52 AM
I would throw that barrel away. You life is more important than a $55 barrel.

CSACANNONEER
03-02-2012, 6:56 AM
Find a build party that is willing to do virgin barrels. If you can't find one, shoot me a PM. I'll help you. But, you will need to supply your own go and no go gauges and, I will not be responsible if you do not headspace it properly. So, far, I haven't had any problems but, you never know.

cannon
03-02-2012, 6:57 AM
Take a look in the gunsmithing section. If you get in on an AK build party you can get that done in a snap.

m03
03-02-2012, 7:30 AM
I would throw that barrel away. You life is more important than a $55 barrel.

I think that's what he intends to do:

press out my berral and press in a new virgin berral

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-02-2012, 7:33 AM
that'll hammer right out.

Richard Erichsen
03-02-2012, 7:36 AM
Hello, I have a Saiga 7.62 which the receiver is stripped besides the trunions and the berral. I bought this with a bent berral and was wondering if theres any gunsmiths local that can press out my berral and press in a new virgin berral, I have all the parts necessery just dont have the tools and the knowhow.

anyone can point me in the right direction would be appricated.

PS. I live in near LA but willing to drive a fair distance, have all the parts needed and willing to pay for services.

Contact Roccobro in San Bernardino.

R

gimme
03-02-2012, 7:37 AM
How far is a fair distance? There is a build party in oc very soon, IIRC. And roccobro is having another on the 24th if this month I believe.

AKSOG
03-02-2012, 8:24 AM
Whoa what happened to that thing?

chicoredneck
03-02-2012, 8:48 AM
You're not supposed to use your gun as a pry bar.

CptDan
03-02-2012, 8:54 AM
Nah man, that's Dizzy Gilespie's gun

Dirtbiker
03-02-2012, 8:59 AM
Looks like someone tried to push out the barrel before removing the barrel pin...

NorCalK9.com
03-02-2012, 9:40 AM
Lmao that barrel is perfect for around corner shooting lol.
In all seriousness get a new barrel! Go to a bp

thedrickel
03-02-2012, 9:47 AM
Don't scrap the bbl, it could be good for a pistol.

tujungatoes
03-02-2012, 9:58 AM
That's one o' them special barrels for shootin up hill.:D

^this

killshot44
03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Barrel - Barrel - Barrel

sd_shooter
03-02-2012, 10:11 AM
What if he just made it into an AK pistol? Cut off the bent part...

Jayruta
03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
If your willinf to drive to San Diego i can do it for you.pm me for info.

Fate
03-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Hadji windage.

Rekrab
03-02-2012, 12:55 PM
There must be a great story behind how this happened. Poor Saiga...

SVT-40
03-02-2012, 1:10 PM
Hello, I have a Saiga 7.62 which the receiver is stripped besides the trunnions and the barrel. I bought this with a bent barrel and was wondering if there's any gunsmiths local that can press out my barrel and press in a new virgin barrel, I have all the parts necessary just don't have the tools and the know how.

anyone can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Just a few questions. Do you already have the rear sight base, gas block and front sight base installed on your new virgin barrel?

Once the new barrel is pushed into the trunnion do you need assistance re-drilling the barrel pin hole or do you have that covered.

Are you available during the day Mon through Friday?

If all you need is the barrel pushed in and head space set I can do that for you this next week. That takes only a few minutes. I have the gauges and tools.

I'm in your area.
Send me a P/M

MrPlink
03-02-2012, 1:27 PM
Hadji windage.

ha ha, ;)

seriously, how did this happen?
Im dying to know

Akers
03-02-2012, 1:31 PM
You must have one hell of a hydraulic press.

tujungatoes
03-02-2012, 1:36 PM
What if he just made it into an AK pistol? Cut off the bent part...

He would need to bend a flat(or get a pistol receiver) and build it as a single shot exemption. The receiver he has is rifle only.

SJgunguy24
03-02-2012, 1:47 PM

Dude GTFOutta my head.
Wow that some special kinda effed up to bend a barrel like that, i've done,that once with as cheap US barrel. That had to of been run over or on purpose

nick
03-02-2012, 2:23 PM
Dude GTFOutta my head.
Wow that some special kinda effed up to bend a barrel like that, i've done,that once with as cheap US barrel. That had to of been run over or on purpose

I saw two 7.62x39 barrels made by ESS (the ones Cope's sold not so long ago, I think) bent a couple of weeks ago. They were out of spec in many ways, too.

SJgunguy24
03-02-2012, 2:34 PM
Hadji windage.

For the win!!!

AVID HUNTER
03-02-2012, 2:43 PM
Just curious, but could what caused this done harm to the other parts as well?

CSACANNONEER
03-02-2012, 3:24 PM
Just curious, but could what caused this done harm to the other parts as well?

Probably not. It looks like someone was trying to remove the barrel without knowing what they were doing. Trying to press it out without first removing the barrel pin would not do this since, the only pressure on the barrel should be at the breach while pressing out. It could have been bent while reinstalling it though.

Hovo
03-03-2012, 2:51 AM
Thank for all the responses..

Ok here's what I got from the owner on what happen, this rifle was originally a regular saiga, owner tried to convert it including having repressing on a 74 style gas block with the cleaning rod hole since sagas don't come with it, he told me he tried to press on the gas lock but it wouldn't go in all the way, he tried to force it and it bent the betray before the gas block went on, I'm guessing the al74 style gas block is of smaller inner diameter?...

Anyways he got frustrated with the build and just bought one from arsenal... I bought this off of him for $200.00 I have most of the parts I've collected but now that I see it hindsight I think I would of just been better off buying a new rifle..

These are the options I'm looking at:
A: Scrap the whole thing

B: I have a ak74 style gas block I bought for cheap and 74 style fsb which need to be pressed on a new barrel drilled and pinned ( that would I need done by someone aside from me)

C: buy a barrel that has everything on it already read sight, fsb, Gb and have someone press out the old barrel and press in the new one..

Anyone have any feedback on what type of barrel I should buy? What u guys think, what would u do if u were me... Now that I look back I think I bought this out of impulse an didn't really think it threw cuz its probably going to cost me just as much as a new rifle if not more... But I really don't like quitting or giving up on something..

By the way I live in northridge, ca

Rekrab
03-03-2012, 3:31 AM
For the work you're going to need to do, $200 was too much. But what's done is done.

For now, the best option would probably be buying a new barrel(US or comblock) and then having the barrel parts fitted. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that your 74 gas block will fit. Did you not get the original parts from the original owner? You will need a few pins for the FSB and GB I believe.

If you can find a virgin Romanian barrel that would probably be best. US barrels are a crap shoot, some are great, some are fine, some are a bloody mess.

prob
03-03-2012, 8:10 AM
I installed AK74 gas blocks on three Saigas without any problems. The I.D. on the 74 gas blocks is the same as those found on the Saiga. It's possible your freind used one that was somehow out of spec. Just a hint here: Whenever I'm going to work with a press fit, I always make sure to measure both diameters to make sure I don't encounter problems like your friend did.

You cannot assume the parts are manufactured correctly. As an example, I had some bushings that I needed to press into the differential of an old Triumph Spitfire I'm restoring. When I measured those bushings they were at least .020 larger than the hole they were to be pressed into. I called the supplier I bought them from, he sent two more and THOSE were out of spec as well.

Always check.

Ryan in SD
03-03-2012, 6:10 PM
rofl

Just "hammer forge" it back into place :D

IntoForever
03-03-2012, 6:18 PM
:Ivan: How much? I have a Saiga and I'd like that barrel.

tujungatoes
03-03-2012, 6:51 PM
rofl

Just "hammer forge" it back into place :D

I remember reading a book on the mauser 98K where they talked about barrel manufacturing and manual straightening. They had a row of guys with machines that they looked through the bore and crank on it to apply pressure to true the barrel.

kind of like this...
http://images53.fotki.com/v535/photos/2/36012/8646721/P1020126-vi.jpg

so...step one: Build a barrel straightening machine. Step two: Find a 90 year old german dude to operate it...no problem right?:rolleyes:

CptDan
03-03-2012, 6:54 PM
Is that Red Jacket's Thousand yard AK build ??????????:84:

vintagedude88
03-03-2012, 8:25 PM
Give Entreprise Arms in Irwindale a call.

Here is there website: http://www.entreprise.com/aksmith.htm

arsilva32
03-03-2012, 8:33 PM
That's one o' them special barrels for shootin up hill.:D

^this

:yes: lol

motorwerks
03-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Is that Red Jacket's Thousand yard AK build ??????????:84:

That thing was a game changer brah!!!