PDA

View Full Version : Giving guns to relatives

jbush
03-02-2012, 1:02 AM
I have an illness that is going to limit my shooting and would like to give some of my guns to my children and grandson.

Handguns, I know I need to do the paperwork on and send to DOJ

Long guns to my daughter, can I just write her a note that stated I gave her the rifle?

Son in law is not a blood relative, so PPT or can I give it to my daughter and her give it it him?

The big one!!! Rifle to my grandson. He is 9 months old, can I give it to him with the understanding his mother keep it until he is 18???????

Thanks

Connor P Price
03-02-2012, 1:16 AM
I have an illness that is going to limit my shooting and would like to give some of my guns to my children and grandson.

Handguns, I know I need to do the paperwork on and send to DOJ

Correct, send in this form for any transfers to children or grandchildren involving handguns along with a check for 19 dollars.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf

Long guns to my daughter, can I just write her a note that stated I gave her the rifle?

Just hand her the long guns, no need for a note.

Son in law is not a blood relative, so PPT or can I give it to my daughter and her give it it him?

Go ahead and give it to your daughter and have her give it to him.

The big one!!! Rifle to my grandson. He is 9 months old, can I give it to him with the understanding his mother keep it until he is 18???????

Not sure how this one goes to be honest. You could certainly give it to her with the understanding that she give it to him at 18 though.

stix213
03-02-2012, 1:17 AM
Here is the relevant CGF wiki page on the topic:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

ckprax
03-02-2012, 8:07 AM
There is no age restriction on owning long guns. Your grandson can legally own it but if he causes damage or injury with the firearm before he is 18 his parents are on the hook.

At 9 months old he probably can't afford a safe so it would be better to gift it to his mother or father (whichever is your flesh and blood) until he can secure it properly.

choprzrul
03-02-2012, 6:52 PM
Irrevocable family trust with designated property held for recipient until a certain pre-defined age?