PDA

View Full Version : California FFL obtaining/selling restricted rifles.

dwilliams222003
03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Can a California FFL obtain and sell California restricted rifles to those that qualify?

halifax
03-02-2012, 6:01 AM
If you are talking about so-called assault weapons then the dealer must have an assault weapons permit. That is something few CA dealers have.

cntrolsguy
03-02-2012, 6:23 AM
If you are talking about so-called assault weapons then the dealer must have an assault weapons permit. That is something few CA dealers have.

Correct, if it is an AW then the dealers needs a AW permit.

tenpercentfirearms
03-02-2012, 7:04 AM
The only thing you can do as a 01 FFL with no other special permits is bring in non-rostered handguns and to some extend large capacity magazines (there are vehicles for dealing with large capacity magazines without a permit).

Assault weapons and NFA items are out unless you get your special permits.

With my SOT (NFA) I can now deal in AOWs and silencers. Still no SBRs, SBSs, or machine guns. I would need a special weapons permit to do those.

And then you can get your AW permit, but it costs a lot of money and I am pretty sure you will not be saving enough money as compared to simply using a middle man to order those goodies and make them legal.

curvejunkie
03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
And then you can get your AW permit, but it costs a lot of money and I am pretty sure you will not be saving enough money as compared to simply using a middle man to order those goodies and make them legal.

Would it not open up a larger access to the rifles though? To be able to BB a rifle on your own, rather than hoping someone has it in stock? Wouldnt that be of benefit? Especially in this state....

kemasa
03-02-2012, 2:30 PM
In the case of an AR, if the person selling was willing to take it apart and ship the upper and lower separately, then it is not a AW as it is not semi-auto nor center-fire. At that point the BB can be installed in CA, then an upper can be put on it.

Yes, it would open up a larger market, but the costs involved could make it not worthwhile. Most people are not willing to pay a lot of money for such a service, so it is cheaper to use a middleman. Also, there are less paperwork issues with using a middleman since you never have to explain how a so-called a-salt weapon became nothing special.

dwilliams222003
03-02-2012, 2:49 PM
So a basic FFL with no other permits can only sell rifles to law enforcement officers that California doesn't consider an AW? Off list and with a BB if it has "evil features".