PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay for an SKS?

brooksthepro
03-01-2012, 8:36 PM
Quickly saw one at my local range/shop today for sale. It was Russian, had the bayonet which looked like it had been painted flat grey. Also had a compensator on it. Overall it seemed fairly original and in good condition. They were asking $400 for it. I will call them back tomorrow to see if I can get more information about it, I didnt really think seriously about it until I got home.

I currently have a Mosin and have been thinking about either a K98 or an SKS.

What do you guys think? Decent deal or can they be had for cheaper? Or should I go for a K98 instead?

w55
03-01-2012, 8:47 PM
If its altered I would pass. They seem go for 300-500. They are fun little gun.

WASR10
03-01-2012, 8:55 PM
$400 for a Russian SKS is as good as I have found out there. Yugos go from $215-$330. Chinese, maybe even less.

I'm not overly familiar with the Mauser, but I do know the SKS is a fine firearm.

NorCalK9.com
03-01-2012, 8:56 PM
Snatch it or get an AK!

PEZHEAD265
03-02-2012, 3:29 AM
If it is a Russian I would jump all over it for 400 if the only thing add to it was a comp.If it was bubba job you would have to look at the markings on the receiver to see what it realy is.If it is a Yugo it is not worth 400.There was a Cal Gunner selling them 350 still in the box.

mosinnagantm9130
03-02-2012, 3:31 AM
If it's bubba, pass.

CZ9
03-02-2012, 8:33 AM
$400 for a Russian SKS is as good as I have found out there. Yugos go from $215-$330. Chinese, maybe even less.

In my neck of the woods, 400 for a Russian is a steal. I've seen em for 600 all over the place. Yugos about 400 and so far I haven't seen any chinese sks in shops, but of ones I've seen personally of peoples at the ranges, they seem to be very nice quality, I'd pay more than a run of the mil yugo

That being said, if its a bubba'd gun, I'd pass every time.

SVT-40
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Quickly saw one at my local range/shop today for sale. It was Russian, had the bayonet which looked like it had been painted flat grey. Also had a compensator on it. Overall it seemed fairly original and in good condition. They were asking $400 for it. I will call them back tomorrow to see if I can get more information about it, I didnt really think seriously about it until I got home.

I currently have a Mosin and have been thinking about either a K98 or an SKS.

What do you guys think? Decent deal or can they be had for cheaper? Or should I go for a K98 instead?

The factory bayonets are a "flat" grey. Hopefully they did not do anything permanent to mount the comp. If it's a non refurb with the high gloss blue thats a good price. If it's a refurb with the black BBQ type finish thats a bit to high.

Some of the non refurb rifles have bayonets which appear to be a gold color. Those just still have a light coat of preservative on them from long term storage.

(The bottom two in the pic below)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/SKS/DSC00850-1-1.jpg

FourLoko
03-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Hate to name names and out my "supply" but how do you feel about these prices? a bit high? I'm thinking $400 OTD is fair. I really need my 7.62x39 fix. Which would you choose?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=437094

SureShot241
03-02-2012, 3:59 PM
If the action and everything is all matching numbers, then I would say buy it. Make sure the bore is in good condition first. Even if it is bubbad, you can still restore it like I did with my Russian.

brooksthepro
03-02-2012, 6:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, im going to head back down there right now and take a closer look at it. I will post back shortly with results.

brooksthepro
03-02-2012, 8:35 PM
Ok so i went back down there, it was really clean. Only thing bubba was the compensator...it was welded on... It was romanian and all numbers were matching. (not force matched). I felt pretty good about it.... Then i saw they had an AK for just a bit more money and now im changing my mind on the SKS.

I also dropped into my local big5 and they happened to have a casar IO AK in stock, the guy working there offered it to me for $500 and i just about pulled the trigger but the smarter side of my brain decided to look at info on it on calguns first. Goodthing too because it seems like there is bad QC on the big 5 AK's .

Im thinking now if im gonna spend 400, might as well spend a little more and get the AK, what say you??

Rob454
03-02-2012, 8:46 PM
I would get the SKS over the AK. I had both a SKS and a Saiga and the SKS just seems better built and nowhere near as flimsy. SKS rifles are getting harder and harder to find in good condition. I sold my SKS cause it became a dust collector but it was a great fun gun. Sometimes i miss it but I told myself I will not keep dust collectors. $400 OTD for a #s matching SKS is a decent deal IMO. youre getting it for about $330 before tax and DROS if you do the math. Still not bad deal if its in good condition.

brooksthepro
03-02-2012, 9:06 PM
I would get the SKS over the AK. I had both a SKS and a Saiga and the SKS just seems better built and nowhere near as flimsy. SKS rifles are getting harder and harder to find in good condition. I sold my SKS cause it became a dust collector but it was a great fun gun. Sometimes i miss it but I told myself I will not keep dust collectors. $400 OTD for a #s matching SKS is a decent deal IMO. youre getting it for about $330 before tax and DROS if you do the math. Still not bad deal if its in good condition.

They are asking $400 plus tax, fees, etc. Not $400 out the door, it will probably come close to $450-475 out the door.

I see what you mean about the better build quality VS the AK. The SKS feels a lot more substantial then the AK. I just like the idea of having removable mags and generally more accessories are available for the AK. The SKS I would just leave as-is.