PDA

View Full Version : Turners Bad Customer Service

Coyotegunner
03-01-2012, 9:18 PM
I have to vent a little here.I am not a young man.I have worked hard for everything I have.Other than what God has provided,I have been given nothing.
Close to 25 years I have lived in the high desert and have found it difficult to find quality guns in our small gun shops in the area.I have ordered several from the small guys,but that is not a replacement for a hands on purchase.
The local 50 miles away Turners(San Bernardino,has shared in my bounty over the years to no less then $40,000 in gun sales.That is just what I kept reciepts for.A few months back,I was looking for 22 CB longs in their store and struck up a conversation with another customer about why I use them for rabbits,due to their being fairly quiet and do a good job on rabbits.I had a very much younger(at least half my age) clerk jump into the conversation.He proceeded to tell me I was full of SHHT,that the CBs are not subsonic and there is better bullets for it.Maybe I took the words wrong from a stranger,but I feel he showed bad customer service as well as just needing a good ole fashion trip to the ground from this old man.Second story came today.A young nephew of my hunting partner of 28 years called and was looking for a low cost 223.He is in college and has little money at this time and wants to start hunting with me.He was going to buy a gun from online Buds gunshop and have it sent.I asked him to let me look around first.I found the Turners had some closeout 223 rifles on there web sight and recommended him to go into the San Bernardino store and buy it,they could transfer between stores.I wanted to know if they could check their computer and see if they actually had at least 1 of the 4 exact alike guns that were on the web list.I then called the store and went through 3 people before getting to Roy.I told him I was 50 miles away,If Roy reads this,good.I believe a Roy was at one time the manager in that store.I gave him the sku number and description of the gun,and the stores that were supposed to have them.I did most of his job for him.He stated after a few minutes they did not have any,but they have new stock for $200 more.In the mean time my young friend had printed the list off the web and took it with him to the store.They had the same gun in a different caliber,but when he produced the list they were able to find one of the clearance guns in another store ,which he purchased.
My point--Twice bad feelings towards this store.How hard can a place make it on a person to buy what they want?This is still a poor economy.I have been in the same store recently and there was no less than 3 clerks leaning on the gun counter,with only 2 customers in the store.They are only one of several that I buy from.I am not wasting my time with this kind of customer service again.

NorCalK9.com
03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah it sux when you bust your@ss to make your money and when you go to spend it stuff like this happens. Sorry to hear it!

r8dr rider
03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Agreed. I hate Turners employes a bunch of mall ninja punks.

russ69
03-01-2012, 10:26 PM
...I then called the store and went through 3 people before getting to Roy...

Wow, you got them to answer the phone? You got me beat. You know, the web is full of stories about bad customer service by Turners. It's a discount store and evidently, they can't find good help for the wages they are willing to pay. To tell you the truth the whole industry lacks knowledgeable people, especially at the retail level. I'm pretty use to it by now.

Akers
03-01-2012, 10:34 PM
+1 to hating Tuners.

HK Dave
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I still remember walking into turners, wanting to buy a SA 1911 TRP... expensive handgun... they of course didn't have one in stock.

I ask, "Can i pay you for it and can you order it for me please?"

The managers response, "Well I could... if I felt like it." The proceeded to roll his eyes and walk away.

What a joke.

With that, I took $20K of my business elsewhere.

SarcoBlaster
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Tuck Furners.

Hecktic
03-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I often visit the San Bernardino Turners because it is close… I like going into see what is on the shelves but I “hate” talking to the guys who work the gun counter. Frequently I wish they had a self-check out counter ;)

akjunkie
03-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Everytime I go to Turners I tell myself:

A) These people are minimum wage rejects
B) They are Mentally Challenged.

RONIN.
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Agreed. I hate Turners employes a bunch of mall ninja punks.

They are not mall ninjas, cause at least mall ninjas know what a gun is, most of the turners employees I come in contact with, all seem like they get driven to the store on the short bus.. they know less about the law then most customers do, not to mention.. the lack of SAFE gun handling skills that are shown time and time and time again..

the other day i was in my local turners, a customer was asking about a remington 700 sps tactical, the turners douche, could not figure out how to take the bolt out.. :facepalm: that is why at my local turners, I ONLY TALK TO ONE GUY THERE.. FRED.. as he is the only one there who does not have there head up there ***** sideways..

turners customer service is crap.. the young KIDS they hire are unsafe with firearms, and their attitudes make you want to take them out back, and well you get the picture..

Javi
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
If you had a problem, let them know on their forum here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=238

RONIN.
03-01-2012, 10:57 PM

:iagree:

Ed_Hazard
03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Wow glad my local Turners in Norwalk is nothing like that.

Makes you wonder if it has more to do with the talent pool they have to draw from in that area as opposed to a corporate issue.

To the OP, you should move or cross post this to Turners Vendor forum here on Calguns and ask for some feedback. The corporate guys are pretty good about monitoring and addressing issues posted in their forum.

Might be that store needs some shaking up.

Ed_Hazard
03-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Makes you wonder if it has more to do with the talent pool they have to draw from in that area as opposed to a corporate issue.

To the OP, you should move or cross post this to Turners Vendor forum here on Calguns and ask for some feedback. The corporate guys are pretty good about monitoring and addressing issues posted in their forum.

JeremyKX
03-01-2012, 11:01 PM
I had a very good experience last time I was there. They stayed open late to do a PPT and showed us many of their other rifles while we waited for the transfer to be complete in the computer.

p2rider426
03-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Tuck Furners.

:rofl2: Reminds me of my buddy who goes to Sac State and they all wear Duck Favis shirts for sporting events.

Meety Peety
03-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Lol, I've heard story after story about Turners, starting to wonder how they stay in business with so many mom n pop shops still around. I've only bought two things from Turners. One was a safe that was on sale for a great price and since I knew exactly what I wanted there was really nothing more than "Put this in my truck please" and swiping my debit card.. second was when I asked for a box of .22lr and the clerk handed me a box of .22 shorts. When I tried to hand them back thinking he made a simple mistake and grabbed the wrong box, he gave me a rude look and tried to convince me that they are the same round. Luckily for me, the only Turners remotely close to me has almost nothing that interests me in their piss poor selection of firearms, never had much reason to go there aside from the safe.

romeo26
03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
They are not mall ninjas, cause at least mall ninjas know what a gun is, most of the turners employees I come in contact with, all seem like they get driven to the store on the short bus.. they know less about the law then most customers do, not to mention.. the lack of SAFE gun handling skills that are shown time and time and time again..

the other day i was in my local turners, a customer was asking about a remington 700 sps tactical, the turners douche, could not figure out how to take the bolt out.. :facepalm: that is why at my local turners, I ONLY TALK TO ONE GUY THERE.. FRED.. as he is the only one there who does not have there head up there ***** sideways..

turners customer service is crap.. the young KIDS they hire are unsafe with firearms, and their attitudes make you want to take them out back, and well you get the picture..

hey my turners has a Fred also...the only guy I get my guns from. Also john is very good to work with. btw my local turners is in orange! fountain valley turners treats me like a little kid.

cfusionpm
03-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Not all Turner's are equal. I find that the Kearny Mesa Turners in San Diego has a great staff. Several knowledgeable people and all of them seem friendly. Dan always helps me with whatever I need.

RONIN.
03-01-2012, 11:37 PM
hey my turners has a Fred also...the only guy I get my guns from. Also john is very good to work with. btw my local turners is in orange! fountain valley turners treats me like a little kid.

well what do you know.. i figured others would figure it.. yes fred is a GREAT guy to deal with.. always friendly, always helpful, and never has a tude..

the young guys at that turners.. well.. my mom always told me if i don;t have anything nice to say, to just keep it to myself..

best turners story is when one of the idiot young guys there was showing a customer a rifle, and muzzle swept a cop repeatedly.. cop smoked (ripped him a new one) him, so great.. the look on the kids face was priceless.. i thought he was gonna cry..

TDL2024
03-01-2012, 11:37 PM
I've noticed that it depends on who you see at my local (Reseda) Turner's. There's a young girl, an older latin dude, and another guy who are all cool and really easy to ask questions to and always seem to be helping customers. If I knew their schedules I'd probably shop there more often. The others....well, there's a reason why I do the majority of my shopping online....

Sackman1886
03-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Not to totally dog pile on, but I bought my Sig from Turners (Didn't want to, it was just a sweet deal). They could not have cared less that I was going to stroke them $500! I was taking it very seriously, as everyone does, and asking the standard questions. They were just annoyed that I was there. After the excitement of my new gun wore off, I decided to never buy anything from them again.

skeeter149
03-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I went to reseda looking for mags for my p99 and they did go the extra mile looking.

Anunnaki
03-02-2012, 1:15 AM
I frequent the Fountain Valley & Orange locations and twice they've screwed up (both locations) by not doing the DROS at time of purchase and when I came back 10 days later they realized the mistake and did the DROS, another 10 day wait. But each time they made up for it with either 2 free mags or a box of ammo. Better than an empty "sorry." :) -Both instances occurred over 10 years ago, though. I think the DROS is automatic now or something, I haven't had that problem since. Other than that, I'd say my experiences have been neutral to positive. It is retail chain after all, and customer service is a dying art.

Once at the FV location a sales rep recommended bird shot for a HD shotgun, stating it was better than buckshot because it was just as lethal without the overpenetration. I should have said something, but all I could do was facepalm. :facepalm:

baih777
03-02-2012, 4:44 AM
have you tried bass pro shops for a hunting type of rifle. Ammo Bros is about 20 more minutes of a drive. they dont answer the phone.
driving down from the high desert, i would go to these stores first unless turners has what you want on sale.

Rob454
03-02-2012, 5:39 AM
Vote with your wallet and never go back. Write a letter to corporate officers. Write one to each of them CEO CFO etc. And then tell them WHY you will never shop their stores and you will tell everyone you know not to shop there. Nobody on this site can do anything about the way you were treated but you need to let the people at turners who CAN do something about the customer service know what is going on. Nothing against you but there are a lot of people who complain about how they were treated at a store by going online and telling their story but thats where it ends. Thats as far as they take it which IMO is pretty pointless cause it does nothing to fix the actual problem. I hope you at least let the corporate officers know. it may not go anywhere and they may round file it but you never know. I gotta give you credit cause you at least named the store. plenty of people keep that a closely guarded secret.

I just recently ( last two years or so) started going to the FV store and that was because I needed some lures to go fishing and my regular store was closed the first time i went there.
I went to the FV store and I started to notice that their customer service got changed around for the good but that was a while back I haven't been in for 6months or so. Maybe they went back to their regular scheduled programming i don't know. If they treat me right when i go in Ill shop there. if they start being butt heads well Ill go do what i did the last time and not shop there for the next 10-11 years. no skin off my back plenty of gun and tackle shops in the area.

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
03-02-2012, 5:43 AM
Reseda Turners seems to have a decent staff, a couple of the guys there I remember from B & B guns. However, I rarely ever ask a "law" related question, especially since joining CG, what would be the point when history shows you'll more than likely get an incorrect answer.

ir0nclash86
03-02-2012, 7:58 AM
I frequent the Fountain Valley & Orange locations and twice they've screwed up (both locations) by not doing the DROS at time of purchase and when I came back 10 days later they realized the mistake and did the DROS, another 10 day wait. But each time they made up for it with either 2 free mags or a box of ammo. Better than an empty "sorry." :) -Both instances occurred over 10 years ago, though. I think the DROS is automatic now or something, I haven't had that problem since. Other than that, I'd say my experiences have been neutral to positive. It is retail chain after all, and customer service is a dying art.

Nope the Orange store still has incompetent people working there. They screwed up my buddies DROS and never processed it. He went 10 days later to pick up his Sig P226 and they told him to come back in another 10 days because they forgot to submit the DROS. They couldnt even give him a simple apology.

Steve1968LS2
03-02-2012, 8:17 AM
Turners in Orange is GREAT.. And so is Turners in Corona..

I do lots of business at both and aside for the occasional young employee that doesn't know every aspect of our complicated laws they are fine for what they are.

And as for these anecdotal stories I follow the "there's your truth, my truth, and THE truth".. which is a fancy way of saying there are two sides to every story since the teller (on either side) typically embelishes these tales.

Coyotegunner
03-02-2012, 8:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the support and confirmation that mine are not isolated incidents.I appreciate some telling me to post it,cross post it so that the company can see it and possibly improve.I have kind of a relationship with several of their employees I purchased from over the years and if I see them would deal only with them like others have said they do in their own stores.
I guess my point is,I am a easy person to sell to.
1)I have a great deal of knowledge about firearms,reloading,hunting and what quality is about.
2)I have worked in retail as well as mechanical type jobs all my life.Keep a customer,who is paying your salary happy and looking forward to coming back.
3)I am willing to go the extra mile to find what I want,or what a friend wants and willing to help you sell me or someone else something,So we are both happy in the business transition.
They really need a episode of The Boss here.
All this added.I said originally,I am getting old and not willing to waste my valuable time on this company.It takes a lot to piss me off.While I will not continue to post on here.I will do everything in my social network to keep the business out of Turners Outdoorsman.

drunktank
03-02-2012, 8:44 AM
In te high desert, I'd recommend buying from yzernie. Better prices most of the time and zero attitude (only good conversation). He's in the commercial sales section. Hope this helps.

Dave07997S
03-02-2012, 8:50 AM
I empathize with the OPs experience, but to paint such a broad brush over a whole company in which they have quite a few stores is a little unfair. I have had a bad experiences at Turners, but the local one in the South Bay has been pretty good. Not to mention the fact they are always are busy.

What struck me kind of funny is they were described as a "discount" gun store, I find them in reality to be quite expensive unless they have a sale going on.

However, the best way to show your displeasure is to take your business elsewhere. Whats sad is a lot of us here in Cali want to give our local gun stores business, but its hard when you are treated in such a manner.

To the OP, you should have told the young guy behind the counter to have a coke and STFU, just for the fact of budding in your conversation.

Dave

frankm
03-02-2012, 8:52 AM
Not all Turner's are equal. I find that the Kearny Mesa Turners in San Diego has a great staff. Several knowledgeable people and all of them seem friendly. Dan always helps me with whatever I need.

Mostly.

Noah3683
03-02-2012, 8:52 AM
In te high desert, I'd recommend buying from yzernie. Better prices most of the time and zero attitude (only good conversation). He's in the commercial sales section. Hope this helps.

This exactly 100%

Calplinker
03-02-2012, 8:53 AM
Geez guys, there are knuckleheads everywhere. Just because you had a bad experience with someone, don't bash the whole chain.

I've been to the San Bernardino store a number of times and agree that a couple of the guys behind the gun counter leave a bit to be desired. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the Rancho Cucamonga store seems to be staffed with excellent employees!!!! I've bought a few guns from them and in fact am picking up two more from gun jail tomorrow!!!! I've been in there probably 20 times or more and they have always been professional, courteous, and quick to offer to look up an item for me or do a special order.

They're now carrying LAX ammo, which is another reason for me to visit!!!! ;)

bubbapug1
03-02-2012, 8:57 AM
I've had my share of being first in line, and the only one at the counter...and being passed over three times to walk ups because someone didn't want to do a PPT (thanks Aaron).

But...I have also had someone at Turners go more than the extra mile to instruct me on fishing tackle, how to select the proper line, how to operate a particular gun, how to maintain a certain handgun, etc.

It's really a crap shot on who you pick up at the counter. Some of the guys in Orange are very helpful, and listening to them dicuss some features on AR's showed some deep thought and reasoning on the weapons they were selling.

I won't do a PPT at Turners, and I probably won't buy any gun there, not matter how cheap it is, but I will buy ammo there now on occasion, and get my reels wound, and buy hooks and rods, but as for any of the 138 transactions I have done the last five years, I did the first two at Turners, and than I found rifle gear and OC Armory, and I am not going back to Turners if I can help it...

ACRfan
03-02-2012, 8:59 AM
I went to the turners in chino on sat.. I went in there and I could not get one person to talk to me they were all just standing around behind the counter Shuffling papers..I was going to buy a shotgun but I guess they didn't think so.. So I'm going to go to ammo bros and get it now..

Sturnovik
03-02-2012, 9:06 AM
Never been to one and there aren't any up here. Big 5 is the closest thing or cabelas in boomtown.

Oceanbob
03-02-2012, 9:16 AM
Geez guys, there are knuckleheads everywhere. Just because you had a bad experience with someone, don't bash the whole chain.

I've been to the San Bernardino store a number of times and agree that a couple of the guys behind the gun counter leave a bit to be desired. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the Rancho Cucamonga store seems to be staffed with excellent employees!!!! I've bought a few guns from them and in fact am picking up two more from gun jail tomorrow!!!! I've been in there probably 20 times or more and they have always been professional, courteous, and quick to offer to look up an item for me or do a special order.

They're now carrying LAX ammo, which is another reason for me to visit!!!! ;)

This^^

I often wonder why grown men turn Drama Queen about a discount gun store that does 1500 DROS per day and once in a while has a small problem.

I've had several GREAT experiences with most every GUN STORE in the area and a very few problems. When I have a problem I work around it; I cope with it: I don't turn into an ATTENTION WHORE and post a defaming headline on CAL GUNS to get sympathy from like-minded-anti-business-mouth-breathers. :eek:

Some of you act like Tall Boys. Try being a man and cope with these situations with a smile. ;)

ZX-10R
03-02-2012, 9:16 AM
The Turners in Garden Grove was cool but I spoke to the Director of Sales for them before I went to the store. Little people fear big people title...It was a pleasant transaction and they are a back up for me if I want something.

gorenut
03-02-2012, 9:18 AM
Turners can be hit or miss with employees, but that goes the same for a lot of chains. Before you guys make umbrella statements like all employees there are minimum wage rejects... realize there are people like my friend who is working there while he's going through training to become a fire fighter. He also served our country as a Marine.

I've had both very good and bad experiences from Turners. My very first handgun was purchased at a Turners and they couldn't be more helpful. On the other hand, I remember this other jerk who wouldn't do a transfer for me when there was over 2 hours left of business operation. Made some excuse about the computers shutting down.

Kyle1886
03-02-2012, 9:33 AM
I have a neighbor that is looking for a .22 long rifle to replace a heavy .30-30 lever action that he just sold to his son. A couple of days ago he went to Turners in San Marcos. He's a quiet type fellow, doesn't get riled easily, generally low key and in his 70's.

I don't know what was said other than, "...they were very rude..." there but I assure you he will never set foot in Turners again.

Turner's shuts out one more... surely management has to know...

Respectfully
Kyle

DVSmith
03-02-2012, 9:40 AM
I have had mixed experiences with Turners, but then again, that can be said about every store I have ever shopped in. You want bad, try Big 5. Wow, just WOW.

kotton
03-02-2012, 9:53 AM
The turners in orange has been a shop to stay away from for the past couple of years. I would still shop there for sales events every few months or so, knowing that I was just going to go in and get what I wanted and leave without sitting through any BS.

However this past year seems to be a big turn around for them, and their staff has become very helpful and friendly. I guess my point would be that it really can be hit or miss depending on the staff at the time you are shopping around.

cwin
03-02-2012, 9:58 AM
Wow, you got them to answer the phone? You got me beat. You know, the web is full of stories about bad customer service by Turners. It's a discount store and evidently, they can't find good help for the wages they are willing to pay. To tell you the truth the whole industry lacks knowledgeable people, especially at the retail level. I'm pretty use to it by now.

I agree 100%. It's hard to find good shops. Thankfully, in San Diego we have DAS and Parallax Tactical and in OC we have Riflegear. I don't know what I'd do without those shops. I've never had any good experiences at any Turners I've been too. They are overpriced and the customer service is horrible. I avoid Turners at all costs. Sorry to hear about your troubles with them.

RAMCHARGER
03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
WOW you guys are dramma queens :) Sounds like you guys are a blind date.
Go in and get what you need, pay the lady and and go home.
The only gun shop employee I want pillow talk afterwards from was the hottie chick that worked a Coldwar shooters in Highland :)
Been going to Turners since since I worked in long beach back in mid 1980s.
They are Ok. Better than some of the other shops most of the time, sometimes not. There was this old guy in the Orange County/Anahiem store that really got on my nerves when I wanted to have him transfer a M1 carbine from the Ban Bernardooo store so I wouldnt have to drive to the 909 two times. He loudly stated that they dont carry those guns cuz they was assault rifles and illiegal! Srew it I went to west covina and they were more than happy to help me out. They called the SB store for the ser number on the M1 cabine and drosed it and had it ready at the West covina store when I picked it up 10 days later. Heck they even called me a couple days later so I can come look it over!

TF_CAM
03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
My point--Twice bad feelings towards this store.How hard can a place make it on a person to buy what they want?This is still a poor economy.I have been in the same store recently and there was no less than 3 clerks leaning on the gun counter,with only 2 customers in the store.They are only one of several that I buy from.I am not wasting my time with this kind of customer service again.

I HATE TURNERS in san bernardino, im in rialto and I have only been there maybe 5 times.. Each of those 5 times were bad experiences so I just simply dont give turners my business anymore. F**K them.. What really set me off was that I called ahead of time to make sure they had a Springfield 1911A1 in stock for me to buy and the employee confirms, but when i get down to the store there is not a single 1911a1 in stock! they are a bunch of kids behind the counter, and they goof off while doing anything work orientated. WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT TO GO TO TURNERS S.B.
But go to Ammo Brothers Ontario, which is WAYYY better, customer service is AWESOME! and they have great prices on a lot of their stuff :)

warmaker
03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Josh at Norwalk turners = douche bag

68Datsun510
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
All Turners employees are EXPERTS, they beat ALL 3 Modern Warfare games...

Yemff
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Just don't go M-F around 430-630 PM, or be prepared to take a number and wait 45 minutes because all the lookie loos who never know what they want beforehand

dphouse
03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Tuck Furners x2

JAGACIDA
03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Better get used to it, Turners is the "Radio Shack" of the gun business.

Anunnaki
03-02-2012, 6:55 PM
Nope the Orange store still has incompetent people working there. They screwed up my buddies DROS and never processed it. He went 10 days later to pick up his Sig P226 and they told him to come back in another 10 days because they forgot to submit the DROS. They couldnt even give him a simple apology.

I was just there today and I have to agree totally. In all honesty I haven't purchased a gun at that location since 2001 (I would still go there for other things, however) but after today they can FOAD.

I went to do a PPT and one of the sales reps flat out did not want to help us. He made some BS excuse about their software being updated and not being able to run a DROS. Plenty of buyers at the gun counter though.

gregshin
03-02-2012, 8:05 PM
After giving my money to turners in guns, ammo, and accessories with sub par service the final straw was when it was 20min to closing and they refuse to do a ppt and I was we were the only customers in the store. I had a gun on layaway and demanded the I want my money back. They didn't even say anything and gave my money back promptly. never been back and refuse to give them any of my money from now on.

smle-man
03-02-2012, 8:14 PM
The Turner's in Pasadena and the store in Reseda have both been good to me. Ted at Pasadena Turner's is especially friendly and helpful. I've used other Turner's and had no problems there either including the S.B. store.

FCOD
03-02-2012, 8:27 PM
I have had nothing, but pleasurable business with Turners in San Marcos. In fact, the only time they don't get my business is when I am looking for a firearm they don't have. Both Mikes that work there, John and Josh have provided me with nothing, but great service.

I can't say the same for the Kearny Mesa store but San Marcos is closer anyways.

Sucks so many people have bad experience with Thurners stores.

Press Check
03-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Kyle at Turners Reseda is a good dude to work with. Very friendly and accomodating.

gao1976
03-02-2012, 10:51 PM
This^^

I often wonder why grown men turn Drama Queen about a discount gun store that does 1500 DROS per day and once in a while has a small problem.

I've had several GREAT experiences with most every GUN STORE in the area and a very few problems. When I have a problem I work around it; I cope with it: I don't turn into an ATTENTION WHORE and post a defaming headline on CAL GUNS to get sympathy from like-minded-anti-business-mouth-breathers. :eek:

Some of you act like Tall Boys. Try being a man and cope with these situations with a smile. ;)
Yah yah, Tuck Furners !

StratORcaster
03-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Maybe I missed the PM sent post from turners?? Doesn't surprise me. I have had the same experience several times and have contacted the corporate orifice, to no avail.
Ammo Bros, nuff said.

RayPDA
03-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Not all turners are exactly alike and neither are their employees. In my experience- I do most of my transactions at turners ch - the folks there by far and large are knowledgeable, helpful and friendly- and have always taken care of me - Chris, Mike, Ben, Dave plus a couple of others, and all the girls are good peoples.

Dhena81
03-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Turners is like auto zone

I have had some bad experiences there and will not make an effort to buy my weapons or ammo from them as long as riflegear and ammo brothers is around. The only Turners I've had good experience with was a couple of guys at Long Beach but it seems all the guys I knew are gone since the last time I was in there.

Bulleh
03-03-2012, 2:21 AM
Sorry to hear that OP. I also absolutely hate Turners. Went to pick up my PPT the other day and waited 25 minutes to even be helped. Some loud moron behind the counter was busy talking to himself and laughing at his own jokes while the manager just hung out in the back for a while before helping a "VIP" who just hopped in line 15 minutes after me.

When he finally got around to helping me out he tells me, "Waiting only 20 minutes? haha too bad you aren't at k-mart, you would've been helped already."

Yeah, I know places don't make much money off PPT so I was going to buy some ammo, a rifle case some cleaning stuff amongst other things but after that wise crack by that moron, I figured I'll just give Ammo Bros my business.

03-03-2012, 2:52 AM
:laugh: at the drama queens

I have to vent a little here.

Take it to the Off Topic or Turner's Outdoorsman forum.

BHPFan
03-03-2012, 4:39 AM
For what is worth, in my experience going to Turners, it boils down to which individual you are dealing with: In all of these locations, I've found real customer friendly individuals as well as jackasses. I mainly go to Pasadena and W. Covina as they are the closest to me and in these locations, I've got great service from some individuals as well as crappy service from others. For example, in one of these locations, it has an individual that talks crap about S&W and tries to get you to buy Ruger instead. At the same location, there is another individual that stands by S&W, but doesn't try to sway you into buying it if you're set on buying another brand.

Mail Clerk
03-03-2012, 7:48 AM
Turners has had this issue for years and the only time you get any decent customer service is when you pull a big wad of money out of your pocket. Just try to remember these guys behind the counter are young and most likely stilll attending the local junior college. Turners obviously doesn't offer any in-store trainging of customer service at all. Those kids are just there for a cheap paycheck to go blow after they get off their shift.
If you go there don't ask them any technical questions as they'll say or do anything to get you to buy there products. Your much better off doing your own homework and go in with knowledge that is the correct one.

One thing is for sure.....it was run much better when the lady was in charge! If they have what you want then go get it cuz they have it but for any technical info pass them up.

Mail Clerk

prob
03-03-2012, 7:55 AM

I'm with Mr. Hazard on this one. The people at the Turner's in Norwalk have always treated me well.

waho
03-03-2012, 8:09 AM
Used to go to Turners in Reseda in the late 70's until about 10 years ago when they stopped stocking reloading supplies, when asked about it, was told that reloading components took up too much shelf space. Haven't been back since.

Socalman
03-03-2012, 8:56 AM
I must say that at the West Covina Turners I have had excellent customer service. I believe the counter personnel there know what they are talking about. I once decided to drop in on the Turners in Chino Hills since I go by there on my way home. Just wanted to look around. Struck up a conversation with one regarding .22 handguns and was given what I felt was accurate responses.

It all boils down to the particular store, the particular employee.

daking
03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I just returned from the Chino Hills Turners. Got the CalGuns special on a PSA stripped lower. Service was fine. I was in and out in 15 minutes. I've bought 3 guns from them in the past and never had any issues.

Noah3683
03-03-2012, 1:41 PM
I just returned from the Chino Hills Turners. Got the CalGuns special on a PSA stripped lower. Service was fine. I was in and out in 15 minutes. I've bought 3 guns from them in the past and never had any issues.

Must've just been a pick up then because I have never seen Turners do a dros in under 30. NEVER.... in fact I've watched them try to use "it takes 90 minutes to do a ppt" in hopes of turning the customers away. That's from the Rancho Cucamonga store where I've had the best experiences

Lowbux
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I've been to the Norwalk store plenty of times, when crowded and when empty. I have to say that over the years, even with a turnover of most of the employees behind the gun counter, that I have seen good customer service even when explaining handgun characteristics to newbies who ask questions such as "what does semi-automatic mean". I mean it seems they really try to show patience.

BUT, this is a funny story. I will say they seem to have a continuing problem with logistics and their checks and balances systems. At the time, I was buying several Yugo SKS rifles over a several month period and each time I would only put down a deposit. They would start the DROS and I would wait my 10 days. At which time I would return to pick up my rifle. The employee would pull my paperwork, pull the rifle and proceed to confirm that all the info and serial numbers were correct...AND..get a second employee to double check the facts. Then proceed to hand me my rifle. At which point I ask "Are you forgetting something?" And they both look at each other like they missed something in the paperwork. "Nope, looks good to us...Don't you want your rifle?" they ask. I ask again "Are you sure?"....Now they're thinking I'm ATF and begin to literally sweat and rifle through the paperwork (I almost wanted to laugh). I tell them I haven't fully paid for the rifle yet. You should have seen their faces...As well as the managers face after overhearing all of this. Now here is the kicker. The same thing happened on the next THREE rifle transactions as well. Each time I thought the manger would handle it based on the previous experiences. Could of gotten three rifles for 70% off if I wasn't so nice. Now for the icing on the cake....I get a call about 6 months later asking if I could verify the serial numbers on each of the previous 5 rifles I bought because it seems there was a mix up at the warehouse when the serial numbers were originally loaded in. Seems no one there knows how to input Cyrillic characters and the numbers they had in their computer system did not match the DROS paperwork......Laughable.

CnCFunFactory
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
The Turner's in Pasadena and the store in Reseda have both been good to me. Ted at Pasadena Turner's is especially friendly and helpful. I've used other Turner's and had no problems there either including the S.B. store.

I will second this. Jerry has also been great to work with. Hector the manager is a real nice guy also. The balance of the employees though leave something to be desired.

farmerjoe
03-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Tuck Furners x2

X3

Turner's in Riverside/Corona used to be the first place I'd stop in with cash in hand, wanting to make a purchase. I can't tell you how many times I've walked out shaking my head at the total morons working the counter. I've given them more than a few chances, but I'm done driving past other shops and then having to beg someone to take my money. Last time I tried, I wanted a S&W 360 PD. Think I could get someone to check their system to see if one of the other stores had one? Nope. I was informed that what I really wanted was a 649. Needless to say, I'm not going to argue with the salesman. I voted with my wallet.

Exposed
03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
I will second this. Jerry has also been great to work with. Hector the manager is a real nice guy also. The balance of the employees though leave something to be desired.

Agree. A few years ago, Pasadena Turners was a mess I only went into to buy cleaning supplies and paper targets. However, in the last couple of years, Pasadena Turners has really improved. Hector, the manager there goes above and beyond to help you with any questions. He sold me my most recent purchase of a Ruger SR9c and gave me the discount price, even though the sale on it had been over for a few days.

socalbowhunter
03-04-2012, 12:06 AM
The Turners in Garden Grove was cool but I spoke to the Director of Sales for them before I went to the store. Little people fear big people title...It was a pleasant transaction and they are a back up for me if I want something.

The Turners in Garden Grove closed 15 years ago.

The San Bernardino store stayed open late last saturday night so that my buddy could pick up his gun. He bought it 10 days before that at 6:17pm. They close at 6pm on Saturdays, but they let us stay in the store so that they could release his gun to him. That's a pretty stand up thing to do IMO.

That being said, I buy all my guns from Tom at Firepower Depot now. He's in Riverside and has awesome prices. He also does gunsmithing and duracoat. Now that I've found him, I'll never buy a new gun anywhere else. Plus he's a Calgunner.

CoyoteHunter555
03-04-2012, 12:11 AM
I only go to Turners for a PPT, nothing else. Lots of guys that should have started their first job at a grocery store rather than gun shop, who of course work there

jbush
03-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Not all Turners are equal. The staff at Ontario/Rancho store has great customer service. There was a problem a while back, I notified management via email, got a phone call back next day. Have bought several guns there from different staff, all great. They kept the store open a little late for me to pick up one night. Always have a good experience in there. I do try to avoid real busy times, cause you do get lookylous, but thats everywhere. Iv'e been to Bass Pro when the take a number was an hour behind, and i've been there when I could just walk up and get help. Turners is a little slow on paperwork, but thats ok with me if nothing gets screwed up. Got a problem? Make a ligitamite detailed complaint to corporate, Turners will listen if your complaint sounds legitimite. Be detailed and don't whine.

level 10
03-04-2012, 8:19 AM
I have found with turners there are bad stores and good stores i believe employees are examples of management .I live closest to the orange store but i buy from the fountian valley store because the orange store employees have pissed me off many times for example i was told it damages a xd 40 to dry fire it as far as i know that is the only way to disassemble it just on example of sh**ty employees

X-NewYawker
03-04-2012, 8:25 AM
Shouldn't this be a sticky by now?

Oceanbob
03-04-2012, 8:39 AM
I was over at Turners Chino Hills yesterday doing a PPT and buying some reloading components.

The experience was GREAT..

ChrisD did our PPT in a timely manner (about 20 minutes) and while the place was crowded and very busy, all the employees were friendly, helpful and smiling. Several times employees would ask new arrivals and others if they needed help. When I arrived to sell my 1993 GEN2 Glock 23 (pristine condition) like always, someone has to clear the weapon before approaching the back counters. The nice girl at the register paged someone and the General Manager (I think his name is Jim, but I'am bad with names ;) ) came up front and inspected my GLOCK. What a nice guy....I can see that his fellow employees follow his lead. Most employees follow the general demeanor and attitude of their boss...when you have a friendly and helpful boss as a mentor, employees will parrot that attitude. This guy knew his stuff and even commented on my old Glock. I left that store with a positive
feeling that Turners knows how to do it...!

Saturdays are always crowded. We gun nuts on Cal Guns will go anytime during the week but MOST people (normal..hahahaha) have a life outside Glocks and 1911s..(hard to believe hey..? )...and they drag the wife over to Turners on Saturday morning. That place was a bee-hive of activity and I can see how assets (employees) can be tasked to give everyone a good experience. It sure impressed me that these employees were able to Multi-Task from customer to customer yesterday.

Good on Turners.!

I will continue to give Turners my business.

Be well, Bob

:)

notme92069
03-04-2012, 8:42 AM
Turners in San Marcos usually has very good customer service. There is a reason they are always busy.

GMANtt
03-04-2012, 8:51 AM
The Turner's in Orange is great. I usually have no problems there. I purchased my first pistol there, a Beretta M9 and the sales associate was an older man and he was very helpful. Being a young guy it was surprising that he actually took time to talk to me about different weapons rather than just show me the gun, wait for me to finish, and move on another customer without saying anything to me. Which is common for a person my age going to a gunstore. I like going to this Turner's because they make me feel like I'm not another just another number. They usually ask me if I need any help.

The places I usually have trouble with are Fowler, Stockade, Field time, hit and miss with Bass Pro, and sometimes ammo bros.

I went to Stockade(/Fowler same ownership) and I asked him if he'd price match a Glock 19 for me. He laughed in my face loudly in front of all of his employees. He asked how much is ammo bros selling it for. I replied with 529.99. He said "Thats a great price. You should buy it from them."

BigBoyPinoy
03-04-2012, 9:13 AM
Last time I ranted about the poor customer service I received from Turner's the mods pulled my thread. :popcorn:

jmpgnr24k
03-04-2012, 9:33 AM

That^^^^^^

e-zee
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
My only real complaint about the Norwalk Turners is that they didn't have a number system, so when it got busy it was a mess. But they recently got a number system so hopefully things get better.

Boris
03-04-2012, 3:05 PM
Lol, I've heard story after story about Turners, starting to wonder how they stay in business with so many mom n pop shops still around.

The most vocal aren't necessarily indicative of the majority. If they were Turner's wouldn't have repeat business let alone first time customers.
If you look to your left and see a pedophile and look to your right and see a pedophile it doesn't automatically mean that two thirds of the population are pedophiles. It may mean you're at a NAMBLA meeting. This is Calguns. Professing a hatred of Turner's seems to be required for membership. I prefer to expend my energy hating and fighting those who would restrict my freedom.

mincoda
03-04-2012, 3:48 PM
I have purchased four guns form Turners in Orange over the past two years and have experienced nothing but top quality service. Their prices and inventory are excellent and love their weekly adds. Whenever I am down in the south part of the state I always go by at least once.

Sorry to hear that some haven't had the same experience.

INDABZ
03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Last time I ranted about the poor customer service I received from Turner's the mods pulled my thread. :popcorn:

Well there was about an average of at least one or two" I HATE TURNERS" threads every "TWO WEEKS" and it got old......:oji:

Ahhh it's nice to see some things don't change.....

JNunez23
03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Plain and simple, I just don't support their business anymore. All my *****ing in the world doesn't mean a word.

But if I don't spend a grand a month at a Turners, then it will get em' where it hurts.

Screw Turners!!!!

meangene267
03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Turners is the worst. Especially the one in the valley. They act like they are doing you a favor to do a transfer. They will come up with some bs excuse why they can't do it, when the real reason is that they don't feel like it and god forbid they might have to stay one minute past 6:00 to help out a customer. This has happened at least twice. I will never go back there.

Akers
03-05-2012, 1:08 PM
Turners in San Marcos usually has very good customer service. There is a reason they are always busy.

Despite my hatred, I usually hear that San Marcos store is pretty good.

Roach_Infinity
03-05-2012, 1:42 PM
I've made the decision that spending the extra money at true "local" gun stores is worth the opportunity cost.

Turners, and any gun shop with a range seems to always have a horrendous wait to get service now a days.

@bubbapug1: Dealers want you to take your PPT's elsewhere. Unfortunately the government, by limiting the amount a dealer can charge for a PPT to $10, has created an unfavorable situation for both dealers and PPT "customers." Most PPT's take up about an hour of the stores labor, so compared to the hourly wage they are paying a given sales associate... you see where the problem comes in, the stores opportunity cost to provide the PPT is unsustainable.

That said, individual salespeople do often see a "PPT" as a good opportunity to provide excellent customer service. But lets be totally real here, people who are doing PPT's are generally wheeler dealers who do not buy much at retail price from a dealer, which is why they are in the store doing a PPT in the first place... It may be bad customer service, but if you walk into store X, and nobody there has ever seen you before, they have very little incentive, especially if they are on commission, to help you before they help a "paying" customer... I'm not excusing this, merely pointing out the glaring reality of the situation... I will share with you a technique I used recently to do a PPT with a fellow calgunner, and this seems to work for me... I realize that I am placing a burden on the store and the employees by asking for a PPT, so I A) Buy all the employees drinks at the local 7/11, Circle K, QuikMart, etc... and B) Turn around and spend all the money I get from the PPT in the same store, using the same salesperson that helped me with the PPT so they get credit for making a sale.

I have had both good and bad service from various gunstores, turners or otherwise, over the years. (I'm 27, and I've been visiting gunstores since I was about 4, so I have a broad perspective when it comes to the San Diego area stores.) I even went through a spell when I was 10, not liking Discount gun mart, because the lady behind the counter said I couldn't handle a gun, I was too young.

I find myself agreeing with different sides of the points this thread raises for or against turners, but when it comes to the salespeople, you gotta remember, this is a "no experience requires" type of position that attracts two types of people... those with "no experience" and those who "want to be there." try to deal with the "Want to be theres" and give the "no experience" newbies a chance to learn, maybe they can benefit from your experience, and if they aren't willing to listen, sell their mall ninja *** out to the manager =D.

-Eric

jkonquer
03-05-2012, 2:08 PM
I always shop around for best prices in guns. so i always check out different stores and onlines. But every single time, the final decision always comes to down to their customer service and how far they are willing to go to help a customer out. And that is reason why i always end up getting my guns at same store (faith armory:)

Turners is big no no in my opinion as well. they have great products and great prices, but their customer service is below average. I guess its lot to do with smart *** attitude

I own a business as well and the reason why people come back is because of our friendliness.

gti_20ae
03-05-2012, 2:31 PM
Turners San Bernardino is notorious for bad customer service. I do a lot of business in Turners Chino Hill, West Covina, and Corona, associates at those store are usually very professional and friendly. Even them told me that not only is Turners San Bernardino bad to their customer, they are not very helpful to other Turners store either. If another store want a firearm transfer from the San Bernardino store, a lot of the time they would not even do it.

meangene267
03-05-2012, 2:33 PM
I spend money everytime I go to any gun store. It's a problem i have. So you're telling me I need to buy them all drinks and lunch at Turner's to get good customer service or any service at all. I walked in there. Put my Rifle up on the counter and asked for a gun check. The lady called for a gun check. 10 min later a employee came up to me and said it would take about an hour for a transfer right now. I could tell he was just trying to get me not to do it. So I said ok no problem, I'll wait. He then proceeded to tell me he could not accept my ID because my address did not match my regristration card. But I had the little brown card with the change of address and the registration with the correct address. I have bought 2 other guns using these same forms of ID in LA County. I knew at this point he would say anything to get out of doing a transfer. It's his freaking job! So I went to a another smaller gun store (Blueline Ammo) and they did the transfer no problem with no complaints. It ended up being cheaper than Turners and they did not require me to buy their lock(like Turner's does).They were friendly and I ended up buying a bunch of ammo and cleaners from them as I would have from Turners. That is how you gain customer appreciation and return business. I would much rather buy them drinks. And I will next time I go there

Roach_Infinity
03-05-2012, 4:03 PM
I spend money everytime I go to any gun store. It's a problem i have. So you're telling me I need to buy them all drinks and lunch at Turner's to get good customer service or any service at all. I walked in there. Put my Rifle up on the counter and asked for a gun check. The lady called for a gun check. 10 min later a employee came up to me and said it would take about an hour for a transfer right now. I could tell he was just trying to get me not to do it. So I said ok no problem, I'll wait. He then proceeded to tell me he could not accept my ID because my address did not match my regristration card. But I had the little brown card with the change of address and the registration with the correct address. I have bought 2 other guns using these same forms of ID in LA County. I knew at this point he would say anything to get out of doing a transfer. It's his freaking job! So I went to a another smaller gun store (Blueline Ammo) and they did the transfer no problem with no complaints. It ended up being cheaper than Turners and they did not require me to buy their lock(like Turner's does).They were friendly and I ended up buying a bunch of ammo and cleaners from them as I would have from Turners. That is how you gain customer appreciation and return business. I would much rather buy them drinks. And I will next time I go there

Right on man, I wasn't suggesting anyone needs to buy anyone drinks, I was just pointing out that a little bribery goes a long way in this industry. You hit my point right on the head though, show the people that take care of you that you appreciate them, make yourself memorable in a good way, that way they are more likely to take care of you when you need something from them.

As far as the "lock" and the "ID w/DMV correction tag" go... I worked in a store for a few years and have some insight about this... Locks are required for the xfer of a long gun if you are not able to fill out an affidavit stating that you own a safe... I can however see a business not wanting to get caught in the middle of a potential dispute over a customer fraud incident and just adopting a more profitable policy of selling "approved locks with ALL guns." Lame, but understandable. The ID issue is one I ran into alot when I was "slinging straps." And we lost / turned away alot of business because of this, I cant tell you exactly what the laws / policies regarding the ID correction tag is, if its a CA DOJ or ATF issue, but you aren't the first person to get burned over this. The living laws and "compliance advice" from the government bodies with oversight on firearms transactions change all the time, it's near impossible to keep current on everything that affects a gun sale, and not every dealer knows everything that the next guy knows when it comes to these smaller details... One such classic is being able to use the "postal" state abbreviation for your current address, but anywhere else on the 4473 that you fill out the name of a state it must be capitalized.

Hope that clears those issues up for you at least somewhat.

-Eric

supershockers
03-05-2012, 8:15 PM
I can't stand Turners in Orange. Low stock, bad customer service, outrageous FFL to FFL transfer fee's.

meangene267
03-06-2012, 12:16 AM
You have a point. A little bribery does go long way. So next time, maybe I'll just slip the guy a 20$ so I can just get it done. Or maybe I'll just play his game and tell him i plan to buy a gun but first I want to take care of this transfer. Then I'll just leave. Just wanted to point, the transfer at Blueline only took about 15 minutes. And they have an excellent selection of AR-15 upgrade parts and other guns. I'm glad I found them and it was all due to Turner's terrible customer service. Thanks Turner's

VCMike
03-06-2012, 6:14 AM
I go to the Turners in San Marcos frequently. The two Mike's and John are very knowledgeable and happy to help. I always look around before I buy but usually end back at Turners in San Marcos, great customer service and decent pricing. They are good guys and they are really close to my work so that helps also.

.45heat
03-06-2012, 7:53 AM

+1 Turners in Norwalk, only Turners I go to.

Sturnovik
03-06-2012, 9:23 AM
I agree 100%. It's hard to find good shops. Thankfully, in San Diego we have DAS and Parallax Tactical and in OC we have Riflegear. I don't know what I'd do without those shops. I've never had any good experiences at any Turners I've been too. They are overpriced and the customer service is horrible. I avoid Turners at all costs. Sorry to hear about your troubles with them.

Eh we have nothing up here in Sonoma county, lucky man. I hear riflegear is like heaven haha.

Warrior King
03-06-2012, 3:10 PM
The most vocal aren't necessarily indicative of the majority. If they were Turner's wouldn't have repeat business let alone first time customers.
If you look to your left and see a pedophile and look to your right and see a pedophile it doesn't automatically mean that two thirds of the population are pedophiles. It may mean you're at a NAMBLA meeting. This is Calguns. Professing a hatred of Turner's seems to be required for membership. I prefer to expend my energy hating and fighting those who would restrict my freedom.

With respect I read that the most valued thing a customer can do is give a business negative feedback. Companies that are committed to excellence pay hard money to know what their customers are thinking and if they are leaving happy.

The best favor you can do any company is let them know when things suck. If they blow you off then you owe them nothing including no customer loyalty.

Maybe too many of us are acting like they are doing us a favor, when our money also supports them.

Warrior King
03-06-2012, 3:29 PM
I've made the decision that spending the extra money at true "local" gun stores is worth the opportunity cost.

Turners, and any gun shop with a range seems to always have a horrendous wait to get service now a days.

@bubbapug1: Dealers want you to take your PPT's elsewhere. Unfortunately the government, by limiting the amount a dealer can charge for a PPT to $10, has created an unfavorable situation for both dealers and PPT "customers." Most PPT's take up about an hour of the stores labor, so compared to the hourly wage they are paying a given sales associate... you see where the problem comes in, the stores opportunity cost to provide the PPT is unsustainable.

That said, individual salespeople do often see a "PPT" as a good opportunity to provide excellent customer service. But lets be totally real here, people who are doing PPT's are generally wheeler dealers who do not buy much at retail price from a dealer, which is why they are in the store doing a PPT in the first place... It may be bad customer service, but if you walk into store X, and nobody there has ever seen you before, they have very little incentive, especially if they are on commission, to help you before they help a "paying" customer... I'm not excusing this, merely pointing out the glaring reality of the situation... I will share with you a technique I used recently to do a PPT with a fellow calgunner, and this seems to work for me... I realize that I am placing a burden on the store and the employees by asking for a PPT, so I A) Buy all the employees drinks at the local 7/11, Circle K, QuikMart, etc... and B) Turn around and spend all the money I get from the PPT in the same store, using the same salesperson that helped me with the PPT so they get credit for making a sale.

I have had both good and bad service from various gunstores, turners or otherwise, over the years. (I'm 27, and I've been visiting gunstores since I was about 4, so I have a broad perspective when it comes to the San Diego area stores.) I even went through a spell when I was 10, not liking Discount gun mart, because the lady behind the counter said I couldn't handle a gun, I was too young.

I find myself agreeing with different sides of the points this thread raises for or against turners, but when it comes to the salespeople, you gotta remember, this is a "no experience requires" type of position that attracts two types of people... those with "no experience" and those who "want to be there." try to deal with the "Want to be theres" and give the "no experience" newbies a chance to learn, maybe they can benefit from your experience, and if they aren't willing to listen, sell their mall ninja *** out to the manager =D.

-Eric

I hear you but that's bad math. They need to look at their marketing budget and how much they are spending to attract gun owners and identify them versus a walk in and the opportunity to build good will, add to their data base of customers etc. In some business they will pay say 8 - 12 bucks per qualified lead. If they are paying their employee say 10 bucks an hour they are at least breaking even and getting a chance to get life long customer loyalty not to mention try for add on purchases.

Treating transfer customers like leapers is just stupid. Hell they should ring a brass bell and get everyone in the store to clap and ask them to enroll in a store discount points card and give them a coupon book.

Look at the statistical studies Target did to get pregnant mom's into their stores so they would become life long shoppers and buy their food stuffs there as their families grow etc.

jkonquer
03-06-2012, 3:32 PM
Turners San Bernardino is notorious for bad customer service. I do a lot of business in Turners Chino Hill, West Covina, and Corona, associates at those store are usually very professional and friendly. Even them told me that not only is Turners San Bernardino bad to their customer, they are not very helpful to other Turners store either. If another store want a firearm transfer from the San Bernardino store, a lot of the time they would not even do it.

turners at chino was actually very helpful as well.

23 Blast
03-06-2012, 6:04 PM

I agree - I've mostly had good experiences in the Norwalk Turners, as well as the ones in Signal Hill, Orange, and West Covina. Can't speak about most of the rest of them, as I haven't been in those other ones in a while. Many years ago, the Pasadena Turners wasn't very nice to deal with, but that was a long time ago, and I haven't been in there since.

fiddynut
03-06-2012, 8:25 PM
My Dad's girl put a deposit down on a XD-9 sub cause they didn't have it in stock.......10 days later she went in and asked for her money back because she had not heard anything from them, the clerk told her she would have to pay a 30% restocking fee...For a gun they didn't have. She's not a suttle person so she told him he was stupid and stated the obvious problem. She got her money back and is heading to Parallax!
Turners Kearny Mesa by the way! Full of tools

LovingTheYear1911
03-06-2012, 9:11 PM
http://ticklishcamel.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/20533_cooldogdone.jpg?w=640

And dont forget to hit the space bar after each period. Makes things easier to read.

But on a serious note, most gun shops I go to have horrible customer service. Its either some redneck who sees a foreigner buying a gun (me) and automatically thinks Im a bad guy or some young dude who has zero experience.

dshooter
03-07-2012, 4:22 PM
Just tried to do a ppt in Orange at 10:30am and the manager says that their new computer system is slow or whatever and tell us to come back at 1pm. I saw 3 people looking at guns. Total nonsense. Went down to Ades and the lady took care of us in 20 minutes. Plus I save $8 bucks by not buying their locks. Just went to walmart and bought a lock to show them a receipt when I pick up.

Tried doing a ppt at Turners in Rancho once and they said it could take up to 90 minutes. We decided to go to Ammo bros and Silvano took care of us in less than 10 minutes.

Done other ppt at Turners before. It's a hit or miss. I've bought new guns from them too. Only ammo bros and them advertise weekly/biweekly that I know of in socal so I do look for deals through Turners. I suppose you always have to hope that nobody is in the store for anything at all places and they'll consider doing a ppt. Make 10 bucks or make nothing.

Roach_Infinity
03-07-2012, 4:50 PM
@Warrior King: No doubt, when I was a sales person in a range/store I always gave my best effort to give transfer customers top notch service in an attempt to build repartee with them. It seems however that there is an unwritten policy with the most commercially successful stores to cull these customers out regardless of the lost business, it ties in to what you were mentioning about target.

err... the target thing is a whole new thread or eight worth of material, I'm gonna let my thoughts and comments about that whole deal slide for now =p Lets just say the business practices target was using to identify and market to those expectant mothers is being called into question and whatever happens is going to set new precedents for our society and marketing related business practices.

-Eric

Panchira!
03-07-2012, 5:23 PM
Yeah there are some unfriendly employees at turners but just avoid them. I have had no bad experiences at turners Rancho cucamonga. It's quite pleasant there I just avoid a few of the employees and my questions are answered and I'm helped.

I usually only deal with mark and he has been very helpful! I'll keep going there. Ammo is cheaper at Walmart though....I won't even talk about ammo bros. horrid experiences each time I went.

BigBoyPinoy
03-07-2012, 5:27 PM
Here's a recent Turner's bad customer service story and their PPT dislike. Decided to buy a Ruger from another member and just so happens that the day we do the PPT was right after Thanksgiving 2011. Already informed him to meet at Turner's West Covina and wasn't sure if other FFLs were open that day. Waited in the long line outside just like everyone else that morning and was about 1/3 up with the group. Waited outside for about 30 minutes. They opened up and got a number to be assisted. Waited for another 45 minutes to get to our number and once they found out why we were there, they refused to do our PPT and said they would have to help the other people first who came in to buy a gun. Manager told us we would have to wait until they got done with all those customers first or until it died down. Early in the AM so couldn't call any other LGS to see if they were open or not to PPT. So another 45 minutes go by and 4-5 customers passing us they finally decide to help us do the PPT which surprisingly took them only less time to do this time around than previous PPTs at Turners. So over 2.5 hours just do PPT, understandable due to other customers in front of me, but inexcusable to pass over us because of our PPT. Never again will I give them my business unless I find a steal on their used/consignment section.

seanschevy
03-07-2012, 5:40 PM
Turner's signal hill sucks.

The employees are too good to acknowledge a customer promptly. I guess they would rather avoid eye contact and have you stand around the gun case like an idiot instead of asking if you need help.

They also act annoyed when you want to handle anything. I feel like I am doing something wrong if I dare to ask to handle multiple guns.

No wonder I am spending the money I am getting from selling my AR elsewhere, even though the other shop is an hour round trip and Turner's is twenty minutes.

SamSung
03-07-2012, 6:41 PM
Here's a recent Turner's bad customer service story and their PPT dislike. Decided to buy a Ruger from another member and just so happens that the day we do the PPT was right after Thanksgiving 2011. Already informed him to meet at Turner's West Covina and wasn't sure if other FFLs were open that day. Waited in the long line outside just like everyone else that morning and was about 1/3 up with the group. Waited outside for about 30 minutes. They opened up and got a number to be assisted. Waited for another 45 minutes to get to our number and once they found out why we were there, they refused to do our PPT and said they would have to help the other people first who came in to buy a gun. Manager told us we would have to wait until they got done with all those customers first or until it died down. Early in the AM so couldn't call any other LGS to see if they were open or not to PPT. So another 45 minutes go by and 4-5 customers passing us they finally decide to help us do the PPT which surprisingly took them only less time to do this time around than previous PPTs at Turners. So over 2.5 hours just do PPT, understandable due to other customers in front of me, but inexcusable to pass over us because of our PPT. Never again will I give them my business unless I find a steal on their used/consignment section.

Why would you go to a gunstore on a Black Friday? specially you know that they will be crazy serving customers buying everything on sale specially in the morning?

BigBoyPinoy
03-07-2012, 6:51 PM
Why would you go to a gunstore on a Black Friday? specially you know that they will be crazy serving customers buying everything on sale specially in the morning?

Just ended up that way. That's when other guy wanted to meet and didn't think about BF. Still no excuse for what they did, and I did buy other BF items they had on sale.

fighterpilot562
03-07-2012, 7:36 PM

I have been to the turners in norwalk, and i think they got crap CS. One time the lady behind the gun counter grabbed a gun, pulled the slide and put it in her front pants pocket. i was like wow.

DNA
03-07-2012, 7:45 PM
Hope you guys call Cal DOJ and report the shenanigans about PPT refusals. Seems like nothing short of reporting them will fix the issue.

Cal DOJ #916.227.7527

Dan :D

al8550
03-07-2012, 8:02 PM

:rofl:

cullen
03-07-2012, 9:15 PM
I've been to a couple different turners over the years and always had good experiences. I keep expecting to witness one of these bad experience stories firsthand but not yet.

ICONIC
03-07-2012, 9:23 PM
I have done two ppts at the turners in Redondo Beach (new location) I have never had a single issue. Staff always seems friendly and ready to help.

G-Solutions
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I had not bought a firearm at Turner's in six years - they had given me bad service a couple of times too many - especially when I was the customer with the lower value item (never mind what I had previously spent overall at their store).
Anyhow, against better knowledge I did not want to pass up one of their recent special offers. I'm not sure if it's the change of the computer system, their internal procedures or lack of a sense of urgency of their personnel - At Ammo Brothers pickup will go fairly quick if you come at the right time. 15-20 minutes, 30 at the most - done. This one was close to an hour. I think if another purchase presents itself in the future, I'll drive the extra couple of miles up to Cerritos rather than dealing with that again!

dctex99
03-07-2012, 10:29 PM
I just have to say I have ALWAYS had great service at Turners! Mainly do business at San Marcos store for new and PPT,,,and also Chino Hills.....

Mac
03-08-2012, 1:53 PM
Tuck Furners.
:iagree:

SteelersFan
09-18-2012, 11:12 PM
I just find all the Turners hatred quite amusing. I guess its all perspective. I have had enjoyable experiences in the Corona and Kearney Mesa store. Once the manager I think her name was Amanda left the San Marcos store, I had some really bad experiences there. But locally... I wont name names of companies but the store that rhymes with Runcans...Lamerican Shooting Center, and the El Cajon Gun Exchange (sorry couldnt think of a retarded rhyme) I have had terrible experiences... There is no excuses there ... They are single owner "mom and pops" and I dont think I have ever been more disrespected as a customer in my life than I was at Duncans ... and American Shooting...

Photongenic
09-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Dan's the man at Kearny Mesa Turners. The one off the 78 is pretty awful though.

bishop2queen's6
09-18-2012, 11:24 PM
I've had good luck at the Corona store and Chino Hills store. It is unfortunate that others have not had a pleasant experience.

BigRobb
09-18-2012, 11:39 PM
We have the same kind of tools working at The Gun Room here in Sacramento. They don't do AR's (which is fine...their business) and seem to always want you to buy a glock. You can go in there looking for a H&K USP (what I did once) which is 1 1/2 the price of a glock. And they will still try to strong arm you in buying a glock. They have an indoor range and everything.

Needless to say...I drive 15 miles out of the way to go to a much better and more accommodating gun store and range. The Gun Room has missed out on at least $4000 of my business.

Seems to be the same with Turners.

ummmmmm456
09-19-2012, 12:49 AM

i second that, the staff at kearny mesa are cool.

xSARSx
09-19-2012, 1:01 AM
i second that, the staff at kearny mesa are cool.

i'll third that. never bought anything there only ppt but the ppl seems nice and knowledgable. i hate going to the san benardino one so i just go to ammo bros in ontario

myk
09-19-2012, 1:04 AM
I'll fourth that on the Kearny Mesa store. Everyone there I've spoken with, Dan Kirkman especially, has been patient, attentive, forgiving-completely professional. Bad service does happen but not all people/stores are that way...

Mail Clerk
09-19-2012, 6:31 AM
I'll fourth that on the Kearny Mesa store. Everyone there I've spoken with, Dan Kirkman especially, has been patient, attentive, forgiving-completely professional. Bad service does happen but not all people/stores are that way...

myk,

Not all Turner's offer the same quality service. From all the postings I've read that's obvious. In the past they use to be pretty consistant throughout their entire stores but not there a hit and miss situation now. One wonders if they're franchised out or if not who really has the last say so...the head office or the store manager/salesmen who has a lousey day and wants to vent on the customer.

Personally they have what everyone wants but there prices don't compete. I'll never buy any rifle unless they offer to sent it back to the manufacturer for me if it doesn't function properly. That's what I feel is part of the sell and service. Depending on what store you go too they may just tell you "your outta luck" handle it yourself.:(

Mail Clerk

myk
09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with you 100%, I'm just saying that my experience with Turner's has been positive. SO FAR, I might add. I'm actually curious to see how much longer they're going to put up with my "noob" ness, what with all of my endless questions and everything...

762.DEFENSE
09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Another unsatisfied ex-turners client. I went in one day to buy a S&W 500 and was told by almost every employee I approached that "it wasn't practical of me to buy and own in California..." I literally had cash in hand wanting to buy the handgun, and because of what they said-I gave an online retailer my business instead. I've never been "talked out of a sale before by a salesman...They have a weird way of running their business.

BHPFan
09-19-2012, 1:04 PM
I went in one day to buy a S&W 500 and was told by almost every employee I approached that "it wasn't practical of me to buy and own in California..."

I would say to them: "If it's not practical of me to buy and own in California, then why are you selling it in California?" If they don't want the business and the money, it's their loss.

gotmikey
09-19-2012, 1:13 PM
Kearny Mesa gets a thumbs up. San Marcos has no idea what customer service is. I went in to check out an M&P and the clerk seemed annoyed that I wanted to actually touch it. Gee, what a concept. Touching a gun to see how it feels in hand. This has been the case on consecutive trips to San Marcos. Never again.

N3Hd3LS
09-19-2012, 1:56 PM
About two weeks ago, a good friend of mine wanted to purchase a Tac Light. He walked into the same store where he had just recently purchased a SIG P220 and a Tactical Mossberg 500.

He asked to check out a Sure Fire model on display and while he was checking it out, the guy helping him offered to check the back for any "new stock". He takes the display model, goes to the back, then walks out and hands him what was supposedly a "new stock" Tac Light.

With no reason to suspect anything or malicious intent, my friend asked if he could compare the two lights. The guy took the "new stock" Tac Light, walked to the back, and handed him the display model he was initially looking at. He told the guy that he wanted to compare the display and the "new stock" tac light and he just stood there. He then asked him if the display model and the supposed "new stock" were the same. the Turners guy just mumbled" "Ummmm......yeah. I thought you would buy it if you thought I was selling you a new one"

My friend didn't really care if it was new or a display model. It was the fact that the Turners employee misrepresented and lied is what pised him off. He told him: "I just bought two guns here recently and I was considering buying an AR from you guys. Keep the light, I'm taking my business elsewhere."

He drove down the street to the Fowler Gun Room and got the same light for $50 less. When he decides what he wants for an AR he sure as hell wont be going to any Turners.

ham
09-19-2012, 7:14 PM
Another unsatisfied ex-turners client. I went in one day to buy a S&W 500 and was told by almost every employee I approached that "it wasn't practical of me to buy and own in California..." I literally had cash in hand wanting to buy the handgun.

if you were my customer, my first comment would be " do you have your I.D., HSC, and DMV reg.." :D

ke6guj
09-19-2012, 7:38 PM
Another unsatisfied ex-turners client. I went in one day to buy a S&W 500 and was told by almost every employee I approached that "it wasn't practical of me to buy and own in California..." I literally had cash in hand wanting to buy the handgun, and because of what they said-I gave an online retailer my business instead. I've never been "talked out of a sale before by a salesman...They have a weird way of running their business.I had them custom order me an "unpractical" firearm once and one of the salesmen asked me "why did I need that?"

I told him that I probably had all the guns I would ever NEED. I didn't have all the guns I WANTED. If I NEEDED a reason to buy a gun, I would probably never walk into your store again. Don't ever ask me why I NEED a gun. I WANT this gun, do you WANT to sell it to me?

myk
09-19-2012, 11:18 PM
I think it's safe to say that Kearny Mesa is the only Turner's worth going to. Even on a busy shift like this afternoon, the staff found time to answer all of my stupid noob questions before I headed to the range. They even took the time to let me "visit" a gun that I have in jail for the next 10 days. Ask for Dan or Kat!

ham
09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
I think it's safe to say that Kearny Mesa is the only Turner's worth going to. Even on a busy shift like this afternoon, the staff found time to answer all of my stupid noob questions before I headed to the range. They even took the time to let me "visit" a gun that I have in jail for the next 10 days. Ask for Dan or Kat!

:thumbsup:

Spm81392
09-20-2012, 3:06 AM
I shop at the Turners in West Covina, Sure the three older guys that work the gun counter can be smart***** some times, there good guys and very knowlegeable and like to chat it up. Bought my magpul forward grip and the girl who (from what i was told) was relitivley new, knew exactly what i wanted and dropped what she was doing to help me. (I even told her i was in no rush and i could wait).

SGGear
09-20-2012, 3:14 AM
Norwalk Turners is the only one I would go to.

CharlesV
09-20-2012, 3:26 AM
Excellent service at Corona and Long Beach! I cant say bad here though in fairness i havent been to any other Turners. Luckily Corona is my home Turners and im happy to try them first for any business i have. Helpful, friendly and knowledgable.

BHPFan
09-20-2012, 5:35 AM
I just did my DROS yesterday at Turners Pasadena. I have to say that my point is proven: it depends on the individual, not the company itself. While I know that the DROS process over there is extremely slow, a slughead working there made it even much slower (plodding very slow to the back room several times to "find" the consignment paperwork.) However, when I bought and exchanged some items, the manager, Hector, was really cool, very helpful and didn't act condescending like some other Turners employees. I've been going to that location for the past 8 years and I've met great people as well as some jerks. I guess it boils down to who attended you. I like to mainly deal with the great employees, but if a store got a numbering system, then one can be sh*t out of luck by ending up with an obnoxious salesperson.

Mail Clerk
09-20-2012, 6:35 AM
I agree with you 100%, I'm just saying that my experience with Turner's has been positive. SO FAR, I might add. I'm actually curious to see how much longer they're going to put up with my "noob" ness, what with all of my endless questions and everything...

myk,

Just keep asking questions and don't let them hassle you about so much noob questions. If they can't take a little responsibility to help a noob then they stand to loose something more than just one or two customers. If management can't understand customer service is everything now a days then Turner's won't last long.

If I were then owner of Turner's I'd meet with the managers of each store and watch how each store treats potential customers and then if needed behind closed doors kick a few tails to make a point.

Mail Clerk

bluto
09-20-2012, 5:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the OP's bad experience.

Turner's Kearny Mesa and San Marcos down here in the San Diego area have been my primary dealers for years. Both have been good places for me. Their regular staff isn't usually knowledgeable beyond what's carried in the store, but they're as good or better than most counter people at other stores I've used. I don't expect to be helped by Bill Jordan when I go there. If I need special service or want to do anything beyond buying what's on the shelves or in the gun case, I've now learned to just ask for the manager.

Recently (Amanda?), one of the gun dept managers at Kearny Mesa, helped me get a difficult to find rifle (CA legal Krieger barreled SA M21) when even the manufacturer couldn't help me. Did I have to do some of the homework? Yup. But I tried 3 other places I do business with and none of them could get the job done.

Offthehook
09-20-2012, 6:33 PM
Turners in Azusa has always been good to me and they have good deals. They carry a lot and the people seem friendly.

MrElectric03
09-20-2012, 8:23 PM
I agree with your opinion of High Desert gun shops. I moved up here a year ago and was really surprised there arent more around.

As for Turners the prices are usually quite high and a good salesman in there is hit and miss IMO. I grew up in Riverside so I went there often and was usually treated as a child which bothered me. I bought my XD40 a bit after they moved to Corona because it was on sale, I cant remember the guys name that helped me but he was great to deal with and very respectfull.

I only went to the SB store once and wont go back again.

AleksandreCz
09-20-2012, 8:55 PM
I go to turners In Reseda all the time Don't usually have a problem except there is that one guy I am not sure what his name is but he keeps giving people dirty looks when he thinks they are not looking. Never really had a problem with him but just bothers me on a personal level.

myk
09-20-2012, 8:57 PM
I just did my DROS yesterday at Turners Pasadena. I have to say that my point is proven: it depends on the individual, not the company itself. While I know that the DROS process over there is extremely slow, a slughead working there made it even much slower (plodding very slow to the back room several times to "find" the consignment paperwork.)

Ok, I've read "horror" stories about people thinking they had started the DROS at Turner's, only to come back 10 days later and find out that the process hadn't been started yet, adding another 10 day wait. How does one know if the DROS has been started? Furthermore, what happens when it doesn't pan out?

CV62
09-20-2012, 9:17 PM
myk,

If I were then owner of Turner's I'd meet with the managers of each store and watch how each store treats potential customers and then if needed behind closed doors kick a few tails to make a point.

Mail Clerk

Unless they haven't yet, Turners should hire mystery shoppers and grade employees they come in contact with. If they fail the mystery shops the store managers should start disciplinary write ups on said employees and if there is no improvement then start the termination process.

From my experience if it''s more than one bad employee and the same bad service happens then the manager is at fault for not properly coaching the employees in the proper way of customer service( and other aspects of the job) and should be replaced.

epilepticninja
09-20-2012, 9:44 PM
Kearny Mesa gets a thumbs up. San Marcos has no idea what customer service is. I went in to check out an M&P and the clerk seemed annoyed that I wanted to actually touch it. Gee, what a concept. Touching a gun to see how it feels in hand. This has been the case on consecutive trips to San Marcos. Never again.

There's this skinny rathead kid that works the gun counter at the San Marcos Turners. Every damn time I go in that store and he is there, he is on the computer. People will be standing there staring at him, and he is over in the corner playing on the computer. At first, I thought maybe he was looking up a gun, until I saw another employee come over and help a guy that was giving computer man the stink eye. I refuse to buy anything of value in that store. I pretty much avoid it now. I go to either the MCX on Pendleton, or North County off of 78. Darin Prince owns it and his staff seems to treat their customers pretty decently.

Stormtrooper
09-20-2012, 9:49 PM
Thumbs up for Turner's Torrance/Signal Hill. Bought my first shotgun (Mossberg) from Turner's for $119.00. That should tell how long I've shopped Turner's. My only beef would be to dump some fishing gear and add more gun area. Not interested in fish hunting.:)

GuillermoAntonio
09-20-2012, 9:58 PM
This^^

+1

If you dont like the help, go pay (possibly more) somewhere else, If you rather save your money, ignore the bad help.
Its not easy to have it both ways nowadays.
AFAIK, Turners is good for pricing, and actually, the one here in SD is decent, they sometimes dont know crap about what I ask, but they are never rude.

angrytroll
09-20-2012, 10:34 PM
I have shopped the location in Norwalk and west Covina and Have had bad experiences at both usually ever time I go in. Most seam like they don't want to help or even acknowledge anyone .many at gun counter act like they are being bothered by helping someone. I try to avoid going as much as possible but sometimes may need to go in when I can't wait for delivery from online. to me there should be better service from retailers that need us the consumer as much as we need them.

Donk310
09-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Turners.. Been there, done that. That place is in my very distant past now.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-21-2012, 1:26 AM
I personally never had a positive experience at norwalk turners. So far, my favorite is in west covina but even they aren't that great but better than most. My absolute worst experience at a firearms dealer was at gunrunner of Monrovia. They act and talk to you like they don't give a flying you know what about you

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-21-2012, 1:27 AM
Bass pro shop off of the 15 fwy and 10fwy is also terrible! The small shops are usually better with customer service

Mail Clerk
09-21-2012, 6:37 AM
There's this skinny rathead kid that works the gun counter at the San Marcos Turners. Every damn time I go in that store and he is there, he is on the computer. People will be standing there staring at him, and he is over in the corner playing on the computer. At first, I thought maybe he was looking up a gun, until I saw another employee come over and help a guy that was giving computer man the stink eye. I refuse to buy anything of value in that store. I pretty much avoid it now. I go to either the MCX on Pendleton, or North County off of 78. Darin Prince owns it and his staff seems to treat their customers pretty decently.

That's a prime example of why Turner's won't last. They're actually wasting more time AND MONEY by having that kind of mis-guided attitute going around. It appears to be a Turner's wide disease. Anyway it's all up to the store managers but then again who cares as long as the head office does nothing. Again I wonder who really runs these clowns!

Mail Clerk

zman
09-21-2012, 8:20 AM
I have always had superb experience at Turners, particularly in their San Marcos, Cucamonga and Corona branches.

I bet everybody is itching for their Black Friday deals coming up here real soon ;)

yelohamr
09-21-2012, 9:06 AM
I have always had superb experience at Turners, particularly in their San Marcos, Cucamonga and Corona branches.

I bet everybody is itching for their Black Friday deals coming up here real soon ;)

Me too.

myk
09-21-2012, 1:36 PM
Black Friday deals? Damn, just when I thought I was done dropping cash at that place. What sorts of deals have they come up with in the past?

ham
09-21-2012, 1:49 PM
Ok, I've read "horror" stories about people thinking they had started the DROS at Turner's, only to come back 10 days later and find out that the process hadn't been started yet, adding another 10 day wait. How does one know if the DROS has been started? Furthermore, what happens when it doesn't pan out?

your DROS information should be on the receipt, also the salesman/woman should have gone over your DROS number,when your pickup date & your final pickup date, & give you a copy of your DROS before you leave the gun counter. (atleast thats what i do)

if any issues on the DROS (example rejection) thats handled by management.

don't know about B.F. yet, but the current sale is ruger days.

myk
09-21-2012, 3:13 PM
Yeah I've got a copy of the DROS, and also when the earliest/latest pickup date is. I'm guessing that those stories of forgotten DROS' are from the past when this process wasn't instantaneous?

ham
09-21-2012, 3:18 PM
probbly. the system was pretty streamlined when i started. only way i can see a DROS dosen't get done toot sweet is if the customer wants to wait on it or if we don't have to gun instock & don't know the ETA when we will.

glock7
09-21-2012, 6:03 PM
I've dealt with turners on about 5 different occasions and have had good service. No problems with my dros, the only thing is that there are lots of checks and balances before you get out of the store. Other than that I've had no issues.

Speedpower
09-21-2012, 6:25 PM
That's a prime example of why Turner's won't last. They're actually wasting more time AND MONEY by having that kind of mis-guided attitute going around. It appears to be a Turner's wide disease. Anyway it's all up to the store managers but then again who cares as long as the head office does nothing. Again I wonder who really runs these clowns!

Mail Clerk

Trust me Turners will last no matter what, People just need to stop crying. Turners is doing a good job giving us deals, if you're not happy then go somewhere else, it's that simple!

Mail Clerk
09-21-2012, 7:46 PM
Thumbs up for Turner's Torrance/Signal Hill. Bought my first shotgun (Mossberg) from Turner's for $119.00. That should tell how long I've shopped Turner's. My only beef would be to dump some fishing gear and add more gun area. Not interested in fish hunting.:)

Stormtrooper,

I had a chance to visit the Torrance store just last week Saturday and up to a certain point I was slightly dissapointed myself but not for the same reasons as you are. I have found that parking is very limited so if you don't get there as soon as they open getting a space is a hit and miss situation.

Regarding their fishing gear I believe there products wether it's fishing gear or rifles is pretty even. If they offered NO fishing gear then they would just be considered strictly a gun store and not a sporting good store. After all they're trying to compete with others like BIG 5.

Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk
09-21-2012, 7:48 PM
Trust me Turners will last no matter what, People just need to stop crying. Turners is doing a good job giving us deals, if you're not happy then go somewhere else, it's that simple!

Speedpower,

Your statement is well taken and considered true depending on how one looks at it.

Mail Clerk;)

zman
09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Black Friday deals? Damn, just when I thought I was done dropping cash at that place. What sorts of deals have they come up with in the past?

http://www.turners.com/calguns/images/Calguns-BFSpecials_2011-11-25_blast.gif

http://i48.tinypic.com/2m4axc3.jpg

Mail Clerk
09-22-2012, 9:21 AM
http://www.turners.com/calguns/images/Calguns-BFSpecials_2011-11-25_blast.gif

http://i48.tinypic.com/2m4axc3.jpg

zman,

Those are pretty good prices for what they consider "Black Friday" specials.
I'm looking at that Marlin 795, 223 ammo or the Taurus 38 special. Since I'm off to the last big show of the year I'll still have to think about what I really want. Thanks for the heads up info.

Mail Clerk

myk
09-22-2012, 9:31 AM
Well...I was planning on getting a shotgun at some point, lol. Can't wait to see what they come up with this year, then...

Stormtrooper
09-25-2012, 7:22 PM
Yeah, that Turner's on Hawthorne (Torrance) has enough parking for about eight Smart cars. I'd like to see a little larger ammo area. I like the Ammo Bros. set up. You walk in and it's like wow, that's enough ammo to get me back home!

plinker27
09-25-2012, 7:44 PM
i have gone there for both of my purchases so far and i have had nothing but good service both times i went.

Arnelcheeze
09-25-2012, 7:54 PM
one of the salesmen in West Covina told me 308 and 7.62X51 are the same. Instead of arguing I left him ignorant, but overall i have not had alot of bad experiences at Turners.

LBDamned
09-25-2012, 8:33 PM
I'm going to preface this by saying Norwalk Turners has always been great for me...

However, Torrance is a cluster phuck.... I went there a couple weeks ago to do a PPT on a long gun - as stated in the thread, parking is crap... but what's worse is the gun counter had their heads up their @ss...

My ID (driver's license) has a mailing address (PO Box), my car registration does too... I brought a signed lease agreement (with physical address) as well as utility bill (not county issued, but it doesn't matter)... Not only have I used these items for long guns in the past - I've done it TWICE since the Torrance debacle (and one of the two times was Turners in Norwalk).

I tried to explain this to the sales guy but he wasn't having any of it... so I lost the gun (and gave the seller $50 for his time - I felt bad, even though it was Turners/Torrance phuck up).

So even though I generally support Turners, especially Norwalk also FV and Signal Hill to an extent (but they are marginal), Torrance is crap and I'll never waste time there again.

Boris
09-25-2012, 8:37 PM
Stormtrooper,

After all they're trying to compete with others like BIG 5.

Mail Clerk

So I guess we'll be seeing tennis shoes, sports bras, nose plugs and speedos soon?

ke6guj
09-25-2012, 9:10 PM
My ID (driver's license) has a mailing address (PO Box), my car registration does too... I brought a signed lease agreement (with physical address) as well as utility bill (not county issued, but it doesn't matter)...did you have anything that was .gov-issued that had your actual residence address on it?

if not, then Torrance Turners was correct and should not have processed the PPT. Federal law requires you to have a .gov-issued document with your name and physical address on it.

Not only have I used these items for long guns in the past - I've done it TWICE since the Torrance debacle (and one of the two times was Turners in Norwalk)..and if you didn't have a .gov-issued document with your residence address on it, then those two FFLs were wrong to complete the transfer.

LBDamned
09-25-2012, 9:35 PM
did you have anything that was .gov-issued that had your actual residence address on it?

if not, then Torrance Turners was correct and should not have processed the PPT. Federal law requires you to have a .gov-issued document with your name and physical address on it.

and if you didn't have a .gov-issued document with your residence address on it, then those two FFLs were wrong to complete the transfer.

can you show me where this is required for a long gun?

ke6guj
09-25-2012, 9:41 PM
can you show me where this is required for a long gun?
http://atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

read the instructions to 20a and 20b, know your customer.

applies to all firearms transfers.

LBDamned
09-25-2012, 10:12 PM
http://atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

read the instructions to 20a and 20b, know your customer.

applies to all firearms transfers.

no less than four FFLs (for a total of five long guns) have indicated that second proof of residence suffices...

Every handgun purchase I've made however, has required govn't issued proof of residence...

Torrance is the only FFL that has not accepted ID and lease and/or utility bill... unfortunately what you referenced does not confirm (nor deny) this requirement. Is there something specific to long guns (in the federal law) that can be referenced?

Clearly something exists that is allowing multiple FFLs to do long guns different than hand guns... for the sake of this thread, I will inquire (in the mean time, if you have something, that would be great).

ke6guj
09-25-2012, 10:26 PM
no less than four FFLs (for a total of five long guns) have indicated that second proof of residence suffices...

Every handgun purchase I've made however, has required govn't issued proof of residence... that is because CA dealers know that CA law requires "extra proof" when buying a handgun. they apparently don't know that the feds have their own proof of identity requirements.

Torrance is the only FFL that has not accepted ID and lease and/or utility bill... unfortunately what you referenced does not confirm (nor deny) this requirement. Is there something specific to long guns (in the federal law) that can be referenced? federal law does not differentiate between long guns and handguns in this area.

478.124 Firearms transaction record.

(c)(1) Prior to making an over-the-counter transfer of a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of the State in which the licensee's business premises is located, the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer so transferring the firearm shall obtain a Form 4473 from the transferee showing the transferee's name, sex, residence address (including county or similar political subdivision), date and place of birth; height, weight and race of the transferee; the transferee's country of citizenship; the transferee's INS-issued alien number or admission number; the transferee's State of residence; and certification by the transferee that the transferee is not prohibited by the Act from transporting or shipping a firearm in interstate or foreign commerce or receiving a firearm which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce or possessing a firearm in or affecting commerce.

(2) In order to facilitate the transfer of a firearm and enable NICS to verify the identity of the person acquiring the firearm, ATF Form 4473 also requests certain optional information. This information includes the transferee's social security number. Such information may help avoid the possibility of the transferee being misidentified as a felon or other prohibited person.

(3) After the transferee has executed the Form 4473, the licensee:

(i) Shall verify the identity of the transferee by examining the identification document (as defined in 478.11) presented, and shall note on the Form 4473 the type of identification used;

(ii) [Reserved]

Identification document. A document containing the name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder and which was made or issued by or under the authority of the United States Government, a State, political subdivision of a State, a foreign government, political subdivision of a foreign government, an international governmental or an international quasi- governmental organization which, when completed with information concerning a particular individual, is of a type intended or commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals

note that in the above, there is no differentiation between longgun and handgun. The requirement applies to ALL transfers.

Clearly something exists that is allowing multiple FFLs to do long guns different than hand guns... for the sake of this thread, I will inquire (in the mean time, if you have something, that would be great).check out this thread by tenpercentfirearms. he explains how all the residency rules interact with each other, for both federal and CA., http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=327217

the bottom line is that it appears that you dealt iwth multiple FFLs that were ignorant of federal law :eek:

LBDamned
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
the bottom line is that it appears that you dealt iwth multiple FFLs that were ignorant of federal law :eek:

interestingly, 3 (of the 4) are very well known FFLs on this forum... I will inquire from the most recent two as to their source of understanding.

LBDamned
09-26-2012, 1:31 PM

as stated in previous email, I intend to ask the recent FFL's over their source for policy... but in the mean time, it's been bugging me so I did some brief research (still looking)...

But can you explain why in question #3 in these FAQ does the last paragraph address handguns specifically (as if it doesn't apply to long guns?) http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3

On a side note... the entire subject is ironic in the first place... I can walk in any DMV office (or even log in online) and change my physical address to anything I want (I could use your address if I chose to) - it would appear on my license (or registration, or both depending on what I indicate is being changed) and they do nothing to verify it... on the other hand, it's pretty damn hard to get a lease agreement or utility bill in my name with your address.

I intend to update as I obtain more info. But as of now, everything I have experience (and so far read) indicates the FFLs I've been dealing with (other than Torrance) aren't as ignorant as you imply.

ke6guj
09-26-2012, 1:41 PM
as stated in previous email, I intend to ask the recent FFL's over their source for policy... but in the mean time, it's been bugging me so I did some brief research (still looking)...

But can you explain why in question #3 in these FAQ does the last paragraph address handguns specifically (as if it doesn't apply to long guns?) http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3
that only applies to CA law regarding Proof of Residency. it does not apply to federal Proof of Identity. PoR and PoI are similar and overlap in many regards, but they are not the same thing.

All CA cares about is that if you are buying a long gun that you have a CA ID/DL. The address on the document does not need to be your current physical address. the feds do require that you some sort of .gov-issued document with your current physical address on it.

remember that the CADOJ FAQs usually only deal iwth CA law and don't mention federal law.

Mail Clerk
09-26-2012, 1:48 PM
Yeah, that Turner's on Hawthorne (Torrance) has enough parking for about eight Smart cars. I'd like to see a little larger ammo area. I like the Ammo Bros. set up. You walk in and it's like wow, that's enough ammo to get me back home!

Stormtrooper,

Ammo Bros is more taylored for ammo and guns compared to Turner's is considered a sporting goods store. That's why you see more gun related inventory at Ammo Brothers.

Mail Clerk

Powerkraut
09-26-2012, 2:00 PM
If you want to pay discount prices then you have to deal with discount service. Why do people have such a hard time understanding this and believe that they are entitled to the best service and the lowest prices at the same time?

"You get what you pay for" is a hard and fast truth. Don't complain, don't whine and moan, just go and spend your money where you feel you are getting your dollar's worth. This is on par with complaining that sone FOB McDonalds employee making minimum wage screwed up your order.

LBDamned
09-26-2012, 2:15 PM
that only applies to CA law regarding Proof of Residency. it does not apply to federal Proof of Identity. PoR and PoI are similar and overlap in many regards, but they are not the same thing.

All CA cares about is that if you are buying a long gun that you have a CA ID/DL. The address on the document does not need to be your current physical address. the feds do require that you some sort of .gov-issued document with your current physical address on it.

remember that the CADOJ FAQs usually only deal iwth CA law and don't mention federal law.
it's awfully misleading when the title of the question is "What is the process for purchasing a firearm in California?" - you would think the Attorney General's instructions would cover what the title of the question is.

Still will ask the FFL's their "reason" for what they do...

ke6guj
09-26-2012, 2:21 PM
it's awfully misleading when the title of the question is "What is the process for purchasing a firearm in California?" - you would think the Attorney General's instructions would cover what the title of the question is.

Still will ask the FFL's their "reason" for what they do...thats similar to how they tell you that you can just do an intrafamily transfer of a handgun and then send in the registration form with $19 and be done, or that a longgun intrafamily transfer doesn't need anything done. They don't mention that this only applies while both parties are in CA in an intrastate transfer. They don't mention that if the transfer occurs across state lines that there isn't a federal intrafamily transfer exemption and that you need to use an FFL in the recipient's home state.

two federal felony violations can occur if you read the CA website and then think that your NV father can just give you the old 870 that he doesn't want anymore without having to use any FFLs.

TR-Man
09-26-2012, 3:34 PM
I have frequented the Turners in Kearny Mesa and in Escondido and bought about a half dozen guns between these two stores. There are a few decent sales clerks, but most of them are overly stressed-out from dealing with irate customers who are fed up with the stores' lousy layout and their total lack of any technology used in the purchase/dros process.

I wrote a letter to their corporate customer service department and begged them to re-plan their showrooms and implement some decent technology to make the purchase process more customer friendly. I offered to provide additional detail and suggestions on how to improve the process to help them out and indicated that they would be wise to visit a shop like P2K in El Cajon to see how a smart, efficient, and integrated purchase process works. In fact, P2K even hires people that smile at you and enjoy conversing with their customers without making the less-informed feel like their idiots. I find most of the Turners sales folks to be rather condescending to their customers. Anyway, I indicated to Corporate that I would no longer patronize their stores until they got their act together and that I'd be happy to assist from a customer perspective however possible. I don't like to complain without bringing solutions to remedy the problem.

My response from Turners was to just be patient because they are getting a new computer system...that was it! No appreciation for the helpful feedback and no request for any additional information on what else they could do improve customer relations. No sense for when their new computer system would be ready. What a joke!! So, there you have it, as they say: "the fish stinks from the head". With a corporate office this incompetent, what can one expect at the store level. I actually feel sorry for the poor slobs who have to work at these stores and get flack from all of the irate customers.

Master Blaster
09-26-2012, 9:55 PM
^^^ So because you didn't get what you want, for some reason or another you feel your right about store layout or computer systems. That makes a company bad?
I'm just wondering what happens when the company says "ok let's change everything because a hand full of people think its wrong" and a different group of people think the new system or layout is crap. How many times are they going to change?
Kinda funny how a company that has 14 store locations and have been around for so long promoting the sport most of us love gets so much crap talked about them.
Now I'm not saying their the best a they couldn't use some improvement here and there. But I guess the saying is true " you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.
I have been shopping there for a long time and have had nothing but a good experience.

hnoppenberger
09-26-2012, 10:03 PM
fv turners has always been cool for me. they are not paid much thats for sure though.

Foulball
09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Damn, some people need to relax. Turners is just like every other retailer, some good folks and some "bad day" folks.
They've come a long ways in customer service and in product offered in just the last five years.

Foulball
09-26-2012, 10:45 PM
BTW, the Fountain Valley store kicks ***! Bought my first handgun from them 15 years ago and have always gone back to check em out (even if I don't buy from them at that time).

myk
09-27-2012, 12:40 AM
For God's sake people. What is it that some of you expect when you go to a retail store? Are you trying to add more people to your Facebook or something? Do you need love and attention? I expect these people to sell me things-NOTHING ELSE. If you want to be waited on hand and foot, and made to feel like someone special take yourself to Hooters or Tilted Kilt, or maybe call your mom or something, but don't try to verify your worth as a human being in a gun store, of all places...

ham
09-27-2012, 12:45 AM
For God's sake people. What is it that some of you expect when you go to a retail store? Are you trying to add more people to your Facebook or something? Do you need love and attention? I expect these people to sell me things-NOTHING ELSE. If you want to be waited on hand and foot, and made to feel like someone special take yourself to Hooters or Tilted Kilt, or maybe call your mom or something, but don't try to verify your worth as a human being in a gun store, of all places...

if they sold guns at Tilted Kilt- GREATEST GUN STORE EVER!:D:D

Powerkraut
09-27-2012, 2:55 PM
I have frequented the Turners in Kearny Mesa and in Escondido and bought about a half dozen guns between these two stores. There are a few decent sales clerks, but most of them are overly stressed-out from dealing with irate customers who are fed up with the stores' lousy layout and their total lack of any technology used in the purchase/dros process.

I wrote a letter to their corporate customer service department and begged them to re-plan their showrooms and implement some decent technology to make the purchase process more customer friendly. I offered to provide additional detail and suggestions on how to improve the process to help them out and indicated that they would be wise to visit a shop like P2K in El Cajon to see how a smart, efficient, and integrated purchase process works. In fact, P2K even hires people that smile at you and enjoy conversing with their customers without making the less-informed feel like their idiots. I find most of the Turners sales folks to be rather condescending to their customers. Anyway, I indicated to Corporate that I would no longer patronize their stores until they got their act together and that I'd be happy to assist from a customer perspective however possible. I don't like to complain without bringing solutions to remedy the problem.

My response from Turners was to just be patient because they are getting a new computer system...that was it! No appreciation for the helpful feedback and no request for any additional information on what else they could do improve customer relations. No sense for when their new computer system would be ready. What a joke!! So, there you have it, as they say: "the fish stinks from the head". With a corporate office this incompetent, what can one expect at the store level. I actually feel sorry for the poor slobs who have to work at these stores and get flack from all of the irate customers.

Allow me to reiterate, you get what you pay for. When I want service and information I go to my LGS to make a purchase, when price is the motivating factor I go to Big 5. Expecting local gun store service and big box pricing in the same location is unreasonable. Turners can offer those prices because they don't pay their employees well, they don't invest money in store presentation, their target customer is someone who wants the best price and that's what they deliver, either deal with it or spend a little extra and support your LGS.

It's like this with every kind of retailer, when I want cheap car parts I go to pick-n-pull and search for/remove them myself. I don't complain when I don't get Napa-level customer service because that's not what they offer me. If I need advice and something hard to find I go to Napa and I don't complain about the price because, again, that's not what they offer.

jeffxbr
09-27-2012, 9:33 PM
I stop by the Turners in Torrance every week, great customer service all the time, they remember my name every time I walk in.

Wayne has awesome customer service, I always see him going out of his way to help customers.

I look for new consignment guns all the time