PDA

View Full Version : Need Range Information for the South Bay Area

32dEgReEs
03-01-2012, 5:58 PM
I've lived in California for the last 2 years after moving out from Kansas and Im trying to get back into the routine of going to the range at least once a week. I went to Reed's Indoor Range once but to be honest they were a bit pricey compared to what I was used to back in Kansas. Are their any good indoor ranges besides Reed's that dont cost an arm and a leg? And are their any good outdoor ranges that are open to the public?

I miss the days of being in rural Kansas and being able just to go out to the back pasture to do target shooting.

raddogz
03-01-2012, 6:05 PM
As for outdoor range I like Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley. Price is not bad, and the staff are pretty nice

alfred1222
03-01-2012, 6:07 PM
target masters... but idk if you'll like them more than reeds. why dont u go outdoor??

microwaveguy
03-01-2012, 6:07 PM
Well I would say that Reed's is the better choice for the south bay as to indoor ranges.
As for outdoor there is sunnyvale

http://www.sunnyvalegunclub.com

and Los Gatos

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com

nvision
03-01-2012, 8:56 PM
i'll risk a muzzle sweep at Reeds before i even consider going to Target Masters.

Uncle Jess
03-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Metcalf outdoor range in San Jose (off Hwy 101). $12, no time limit, rifle, pistol and shotgun.

32dEgReEs
03-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Metcalf outdoor range in San Jose (off Hwy 101). $12, no time limit, rifle, pistol and shotgun.

That was actually recommended by an ER Tech my fiance works with. Going to have to check this one out since its only 10min away from where I live.

Wicked K5
03-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Markleys in Watsonville is about 45 minutes from south San Jose. IIRC their rate is $10/hr. And the have a good selection of rifles and pistols to fondle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s4alex
03-02-2012, 1:02 AM
Good resource to find ranges wherever you are at:

http://wheretoshoot.org/

32dEgReEs
03-02-2012, 1:30 AM
Good resource to find ranges wherever you are at:

http://wheretoshoot.org/

To be honest thats no better than pulling up Google Maps and doing a search for Shooting Ranges. Its recommendations really that I was looking for. For example that the range is properly run, safe, and at a decent price. I have had too many experiences with muzzle sweeps to just go to some random range. It got to the point in Kansas where I would only go to the range if I went with a buddy out to a private range for a shooting club he was a part of.

s4alex
03-02-2012, 3:05 AM
To be honest thats no better than pulling up Google Maps and doing a search for Shooting Ranges. Its recommendations really that I was looking for. For example that the range is properly run, safe, and at a decent price. I have had too many experiences with muzzle sweeps to just go to some random range. It got to the point in Kansas where I would only go to the range if I went with a buddy out to a private range for a shooting club he was a part of.

I guess it's the same as doing a search on the forum also then? :facepalm: Even though you stated Reed's and your location shows San Jose, you never really specified area. You just said California. So, ask a broad question, get a broad answer.

But, most of all the ranges here in the bay area, some one will always recommend. You will also get the sweeps and goofs at any range. If you really want to be free from that most of the time, BLM's are you best bet.

Almost all indoor ranges around the Bay Area are hourly.

Almost all outdoor ranges are one time entry:

Sunnyvale Rod & Gun and Los Altos Rod & Gun are two of the better ranges that I frequent. Both run well.

I like going to San Leandro Rifle & Pistol for the main reason that they are open at night, every night. However, rifles only at 100 yards. No FMJ. HP and PSP non magnetic ammo on the rifles. 22 and handguns only on the 12.5 / 25 / 50. This is probably the only indoor that I know of that is a one time entry. They have both indoor and outdoor shooting. People here can be spotty at some times, but I have never had any issues. This is actually one of my favorite ranges. Maybe because I do not go when it is completely packed.

32dEgReEs
03-02-2012, 8:37 AM
I guess it's the same as doing a search on the forum also then? :facepalm: Even though you stated Reed's and your location shows San Jose, you never really specified area. You just said California. So, ask a broad question, get a broad answer.

But, most of all the ranges here in the bay area, some one will always recommend. You will also get the sweeps and goofs at any range. If you really want to be free from that most of the time, BLM's are you best bet.

Almost all indoor ranges around the Bay Area are hourly.

Almost all outdoor ranges are one time entry:

Sunnyvale Rod & Gun and Los Altos Rod & Gun are two of the better ranges that I frequent. Both run well.

I like going to San Leandro Rifle & Pistol for the main reason that they are open at night, every night. However, rifles only at 100 yards. No FMJ. HP and PSP non magnetic ammo on the rifles. 22 and handguns only on the 12.5 / 25 / 50. This is probably the only indoor that I know of that is a one time entry. They have both indoor and outdoor shooting. People here can be spotty at some times, but I have never had any issues. This is actually one of my favorite ranges. Maybe because I do not go when it is completely packed.

First a response to what i bolded in your statement... Look at the title, it specifically said South Bay.

As for the rest of your post thanks ill look into them.

frankm
03-02-2012, 8:55 AM
First a response to what i bolded in your statement... Look at the title, it specifically said South Bay.

As for the rest of your post thanks ill look into them.

That can be Chula Vista or Long Beach. You Northerners are too high-falutin' for your own good! :eek:

32dEgReEs
03-02-2012, 9:16 AM
That can be Chula Vista or Long Beach. You Northerners are too high-falutin' for your own good! :eek:

Guess common sense is lacking among some people here when it comes to reading comprehension. Guess when i say South Bay Area and my location plainly shows San Jose I obviously could have possibly meant some where in SoCal... give me a break people stop trying to be high and mighty and one up people.

s4alex
03-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Guess common sense is lacking among some people here when it comes to reading comprehension. Guess when i say South Bay Area and my location plainly shows San Jose I obviously could have possibly meant some where in SoCal... give me a break people stop trying to be high and mighty and one up people.

It has nothing to do with common sense and comprehension. It has to do with phrasing common to several cities in California referred to as "Bay Area".

Being from Kansas, I guess having water cities is not as common as it is here. So for that we high and mighty will let it slide.

I lived in San Diego for 6+ years and parts of LA for several, there were parts in both areas that was considered and called South Bay. My tag here on this board or other forums has always been what it is. Either because I was too lazy to change or because I always consider this my home.

No one is trying to "one up you".

tpuig
03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
As mentioned before, Sunnyvale and Los Altos are both good ranges. Sunyvale is open a couple days a week to the public. If you become a member, you can shoot almost every day.

32dEgReEs
03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
It has nothing to do with common sense and comprehension. It has to do with phrasing common to several cities in California referred to as "Bay Area".

Being from Kansas, I guess having water cities is not as common as it is here. So for that we high and mighty will let it slide.

I lived in San Diego for 6+ years and parts of LA for several, there were parts in both areas that was considered and called South Bay. My tag here on this board or other forums has always been what it is. Either because I was too lazy to change or because I always consider this my home.

No one is trying to "one up you".

Its funny being that the first 7 people to reply to the post didn't have an issue knowing what area I was talking about. Your first post was so general it was insulting to think I dont know how to do a basic internet search. Your posts following have been more of the same. Nothing constructive has come from your posts. I might be from Kansas but to be bluntly honest my first impression of you is pretty much like the other 95% of people in California I have dealt with on a regular basis in my job, rude, condescending, and the need to prove people wrong. I may not have this knowledge of the generalization of areas in California but at least I have enough common sense to fully read and understand what a post is asking before I reply.

As mentioned before, Sunnyvale and Los Altos are both good ranges. Sunyvale is open a couple days a week to the public. If you become a member, you can shoot almost every day.

Thanks for the information. I slightly remember looking them up before I made this post and could have swore I read somewhere that one of them didnt allow FMJ ammo. I could be mistaken but if Im not do you happen to know which one it is? I cant seem to find it again.

s4alex
03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Its funny being that the first 7 people to reply to the post didn't have an issue knowing what area I was talking about. Your first post was so general it was insulting to think I dont know how to do a basic internet search. Your posts following have been more of the same. Nothing constructive has come from your posts. I might be from Kansas but to be bluntly honest my first impression of you is pretty much like the other 95% of people in California I have dealt with on a regular basis in my job, rude, condescending, and the need to prove people wrong. I may not have this knowledge of the generalization of areas in California but at least I have enough common sense to fully read and understand what a post is asking before I reply.

Thanks for the information. I slightly remember looking them up before I made this post and could have swore I read somewhere that one of them didnt allow FMJ ammo. I could be mistaken but if Im not do you happen to know which one it is? I cant seem to find it again.

Wow, talk about irony. Not only did you not use a search function, you dont even pay attention to your own thread.

If you look at my second post, you will see that I listed SAN LEANDRO.. and right after that.. NO FMJ.

Read much? Use search much? No good information? On the second post I listed 3 ranges, one with good information. Infact, the same information that you are requesting now. Again.

If you used the link I posted in the first response, you would have seen that the range was listed there and states NO FMJ. So, yeah..

Maybe instead of being so defensive, take your own advise and read before you respond.

Oh, just for reference:

Sunnyvale and Los Altos let you shoot whatever ammo you want from a rifle. With the exception of NO TRACER ROUNDS. FMJ , HP, PSP all good.

32dEgReEs
03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Wow, talk about irony. Not only did you not use a search function, you dont even pay attention to your own thread.

If you look at my second post, you will see that I listed SAN LEANDRO.. and right after that.. NO FMJ.

Read much? Use search much? No good information? On the second post I listed 3 ranges with good information. Infact, the same information that you are requesting now. Again.

If you used the link I posted in the first response, you would have seen that the range was listed there and states NO FMJ. So, yeah..

Maybe instead of being so defensive, take your own advise and read before you respond.

If this were any other forum this is where I would post the Captain Picard facepalm picture but I have the feeling you just wouldnt understand it. Once again your reading comprehension is lacking. tpuig mentioned the Los Altos and Sunnyvale ranges and I was asking regarding those. I read your post just fine and saw your reply about the San Leandro range not allowing FMJ. I wasnt referring to that range or your post about that range.

Please just go do yourself a favor and stop reading and responding to this thread.

s4alex
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
If this were any other forum this is where I would post the Captain Picard facepalm picture but I have the feeling you just wouldnt understand it. Once again your reading comprehension is lacking. tpuig mentioned the Los Altos and Sunnyvale ranges and I was asking regarding those. I read your post just fine and saw your reply about the San Leandro range not allowing FMJ. I wasnt referring to that range or your post about that range.

Please just go do yourself a favor and stop reading and responding to this thread.

Why stop responding? When it is so much fun showing how much you don't use the resources that you have or provided to you, instead asking people to do it for you?

Want to know what those ranges allow? Use the internet, that you say you know how to use. They both have pages with all the information you need listed... What? You don't know the web address? Use the link that was provided to you to get to the right one..

This is where I would normally post some picture about some new user to the forum and how they should really use the search function instead of creating another topic about the same thing again. But I am beyond that. Plus this is that much more interesting. Plus I don't have one of those pictures.

M1A Rifleman
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
If your in the SB, San Jose area, then Los Altos Rod & Gun Club in the SC Mountains. If your close enough, it may be better to join the Scotts Valley Gun Club so you can use their private range.

32dEgReEs
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Why stop responding? When it is so much fun showing how much you don't use the resources that you have or provided to you, instead asking people to do it for you?

Want to know what those ranges allow? Use the internet, that you say you know how to use. They both have pages with all the information you need listed... What? You don't know the web address? Use the link that was provided to you to get to the right one..

This is where I would normally post some picture about some new user to the forum and how they should really use the search function instead of creating another topic about the same thing again. But I am beyond that. Plus this is that much more interesting. Plus I don't have one of those pictures.

Love when people think Im that ignorant when it comes to computers. I have the 3 ranges that have been recommended the most Bookmarked. I have read through them several times. I was asking a simple question about FMJ being allowed at 2 of them because I slightly recalled one of them not allowing them but couldnt find it on their websites and wanted to make sure I wasnt just missing something. I came here to ask for recommendations and stated pretty clearly why. I can do a Google search all day long for anything and everything but nothing is better than getting peoples personal opinions and recommendations.

As for using the search function I implore you to do a search involving the keywords of shooting, range, gun, San Jose, south bay, and so forth and see what you come up with for posts in the forums. But hey Im betting you are one of those people who like to talk trash on the internet and belittle them from behind a keyboard and computer screen. Your style of trolling is nothing new to me compared to other internet forums I frequent on a daily basis. I was just trying to help you save face instead of making yourself look like an ***. But please, if you feel the need to continue to portray yourself this way on the internet go right ahead. It does nothing more than make my afternoon interesting with idiotic attempts at trolling.