PDA

View Full Version : If you assist me, maybe I can assist one of you.

702Shooter
03-01-2012, 5:14 PM
Hey everybody,

We're currently running a promotional giveaway that includes a free BCM AR-15, 1k rounds of ammo, and a 3 day carbine training class with Larry Vickers. Unfortunately, part of our current rules say that if you live in a State where the rifle isn't legal, you can not win. Obviously this means CA as well as 3 other states are out. TBH, that sucks and I'd like to change it.

The problem I have is that after calling ATF offices in each of the affected States, nobody has been able to give me a complete answer, only their opinions which they did not want to put their names behind.

So, what I need to know is this: If a NV FFL ships this rifle, as is, to an FFL in CA, MA, CT, or NY, is it the receiving FFL's responsibility to make the necessary changes before turning it over to the winner or must they be done in NV prior to shipping the rifle?

Thanks for your time and input.

http://www.702shooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_0002.jpg

Librarian
03-01-2012, 5:28 PM
Either.

Not kidding - it works this way:

IF the receiving CA-FFL has a permit to deal in 'assault weapons', then that FFL can receive what CA calls an 'assault weapon' and install the 'bullet button' and do whatever.

IF the receiving CA-FFL doesn't have the permit, then the mods have to be in place before the CA FFL gets it.

Simpler to do the mods in NV, then no worry about permits.

dust feeder
03-01-2012, 5:29 PM
I'm no expert but would guess it needs to be ca/ma/ct/my legal before coming into the state

Flying Sig
03-01-2012, 5:35 PM
Just separate the upper from the lower, pack it and ship it to any FFL in CA. Done.

kingmoochr
03-01-2012, 5:36 PM
Bullet button install on an ar is cake. Remove the magazine catch, and reinstall with the supplied block and screw. It would be much easier if it was taken care of in NV. Then all you need to do is disassemble the magazine and it can all be shipped to any FFL in the state.

kingmoochr
03-01-2012, 5:36 PM
Just separate the upper from the lower, pack it and ship it to any FFL in CA. Done.

or that, was busy typing

702Shooter
03-01-2012, 5:40 PM
I'm no expert but would guess it needs to be ca/ma/ct/my legal before coming into the state

That was my thought as well. However, somebody posted a comment on my site suggesting that it was the responsibility of the receiving FFL in NY State.

All those involved in this giveaway have done a lot already. Spending additional money to convert it to fit within the laws of other States is something we would rather avoid. None of us know the answer to this question and our feeling is that the liability isn't worth the risk which is why we have not opened the drawing up to states like CA....Yet.

Librarian, thanks for that info. I'll look into that a bit more.

Johnnyfres
03-01-2012, 5:40 PM
You should do a special give-away of a CA legal AR for us poor folks in CA. Let me know where to sign up.:)

icenix
03-01-2012, 5:41 PM
Hey everybody,

We're currently running a promotional giveaway that includes a free BCM AR-15, 1k rounds of ammo, and a 3 day carbine training class with Larry Vickers. Unfortunately, part of our current rules say that if you live in a State where the rifle isn't legal, you can not win. Obviously this means CA as well as 3 other states are out. TBH, that sucks and I'd like to change it.

The problem I have is that after calling ATF offices in each of the affected States, nobody has been able to give me a complete answer, only their opinions which they did not want to put their names behind.

So, what I need to know is this: If a NV FFL ships this rifle, as is, to an FFL in CA, MA, CT, or NY, is it the receiving FFL's responsibility to make the necessary changes before turning it over to the winner or must they be done in NV prior to shipping the rifle?

Thanks for your time and input.

http://www.702shooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_0002.jpg

I don't know, but Librarian should be able to give you an accurate answer.

What I do know is that I want more info on this promotion and how to get eligible!!!

702Shooter
03-01-2012, 5:42 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I think I'll take a look for similar forums in the other states and see what the general consensus is.

702Shooter
03-01-2012, 5:43 PM
I don't know, but Librarian should be able to give you an accurate answer.

What I do know is that I want more info on this promotion and how to get eligible!!!

I'll give you a hint...

There's a URL on the photo and a link in my signature. ;)

If we do end up opening this up to all States and if the mods here allow it, I'll return and post to let you all know.

roushstage2
03-01-2012, 5:49 PM
If you separate the center fire upper from the lower before shipping it, it would no longer be an AW (at least in CA; I don't know what constitutes what in other states). You could then ship it to an FFL who can transfer it. It would then be up to the winner/owner to make it legal before attaching a centerfire upper to it. If I won a free AR, I sure wouldn't mind spending the $35 on a BB and calling it a day. :)

ahren111
03-01-2012, 5:59 PM
Either.

IF the receiving CA-FFL has a permit to deal in 'assault weapons', then that FFL can receive what CA calls an 'assault weapon' and install the 'bullet button' and do whatever.

IF the receiving CA-FFL doesn't have the permit, then the mods have to be in place before the CA FFL gets it.

My FFL has his permit. I'd be willing to win :D

702Shooter
03-01-2012, 6:34 PM
My FFL has his permit. I'd be willing to win :D

LOL, way to take one for the team!

McTerry
03-01-2012, 6:57 PM
As was said earlier, simply ship the lower and upper separately and there is no need to modify anything on your end.
This is also completely legal and is in no way a "work around" or "loophole tactic", just to clarify.

anothergunnut
03-01-2012, 7:07 PM
Keep in mind that the suggestions are for CA only. CA laws were poorly written and some of our intellectually gifted members have figured out how to purchase semi automatic sporting rifles while still complying with these laws. Also, the rifle would need a ten (or less) round magazine if "evil features" were being retained.

liv4spd
03-01-2012, 7:45 PM
Either.

This pretty much sums it up. :ninja:

!@#$
03-01-2012, 9:03 PM
MA, CT, or NY all have their own version of the 94 ban. they will need fixed stocks, no bayo lugs, no flash hiders, muzzle breaks need to be perm attached if the lower reciever is not a "preban". preban +10rd mags also. the hometown forums on ar15.com will get your answers for each state.

roushstage2
03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
the rifle would need a ten (or less) round magazine if "evil features" were being retained.
Any magazine bought after the ban needs to be 10 rounds. You had to have owned any 11+ round magazines in the state before the ban in order to legally posses them, otherwise you are either importing or mfg-ing them. :)

702Shooter
03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
MA, CT, or NY all have their own version of the 94 ban. they will need fixed stocks, no bayo lugs, no flash hiders, muzzle breaks need to be perm attached if the lower reciever is not a "preban". preban +10rd mags also. the hometown forums on ar15.com will get your answers for each state.

Thanks for the added info.

GSequoia
03-02-2012, 1:21 AM
Might I suggest that since your rules state the winner must be present at the match to pick up his/her prize that you allow them to configure the weapon in a way that meets their laws or attempt sell it off on site? (i.e., it's your problem now buddy!).

I know if I were to win a training slot and rifle I'd be inclined to drive out there, take the class, then bring the upper home and only send the lower in to the FFL01 of my choosing; alternatively if I decided to fly I could easily bring a Bullet Button device in my pocket and install it on the rifle before it is sent off (it takes just a few moments to install).

jcaoloveshine
03-02-2012, 1:27 AM
Any out of state business willing to go out of their way to support the fight here in CA has my respect and business.

Looking forward to what's in store

Colt-45
03-02-2012, 1:40 AM
You have a 2 options:

Option 1: Seperate upper from lower. Send upper directly to persons home and lower to FFL.

Option 2: Buy a cheap bullet button, install it to lower and ship rifle without mags or include a 10 rounder instead of the 30. Installing a bullet button is even easier than installing a magazine release button.

Do this and you're all set, it really is that simple.

I don't know how stuff works in the other states. Maybe theres a NYguns, CTguns? lol

702Shooter
03-02-2012, 9:38 AM
You should do a special give-away of a CA legal AR for us poor folks in CA. Let me know where to sign up.:)

Here ya go!

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=542843

shy 7th
03-02-2012, 9:55 AM
Here ya go!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67

ummm...

you mean here?:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=542843

702Shooter
03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
ummm...