PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG AR upper

SFgiants105
03-01-2012, 2:38 PM
So, I was perusing the web and saw this:

http://www.impactguns.com/zel-tactilite-t-1-inultralitein-ar-upper-50-bmg-24in-ut1u2450.aspx

CA legal? Yes, no?

SunkenShadow
03-01-2012, 2:39 PM
IIRC....it's only legal if you mount it on a tripod....and it becomes a 'crew-served' weapon rather than a 'rifle'.

SFgiants105
03-01-2012, 2:56 PM
Really? I was under the impression that the law applied to complete fireamrs.

Cuz, I know in the case of the Desert Eagle you can't buy the .50 AE as a complete gun, but you can buy and install the 50 cal barrel afterwards.

I guess the .338 LM or .416 Barrett is always an option.

Colt-45
03-01-2012, 3:00 PM
I've been told it's legal to posses a .50 bmg caliber upper but it's not legal to attach it to an AR rifle lower and fire it within CA.

One thing I wonder, is it legal to posses a Barret .50 bmg rifle disassembled? or is the lower itself banned?

Really? I was under the impression that the law applied to complete fireamrs.

Cuz, I know in the case of the Desert Eagle you can't buy the .50 AE as a complete gun, but you can buy and install the 50 cal barrel afterwards.

I guess the .338 LM or .416 Barrett is always an option.

That might be because it's not on the roster. Doesn't the .50 BMG ban only apply to .50 BMG? not to all .50's in general.

Bhobbs
03-01-2012, 3:00 PM
That's because the Desert Eagle .50 AE isn't on the roster.

By putting this on an AR15 lower in a rifle configuration it becomes a .50 BMG rifle.

SFgiants105
03-01-2012, 3:09 PM
That's because the Desert Eagle .50 AE isn't on the roster.

By putting this on an AR15 lower in a rifle configuration it becomes a .50 BMG rifle.

Okay. What is the law verbatim on 50s? Does it specifically prohibit the .50 BMG cartridge? It seems kinda dumb, since that wouldn't do anything to prevent me from getting a .50 DTC Europ rifle (not that I would) or .416 or something like that.

Colt-45
03-01-2012, 3:18 PM
^^ Like most CA gun control laws, that one is full of holes as well.

.50 bmg is banned but .50 DTC and.50 Beowulf ain't.

Librarian
03-01-2012, 4:07 PM
So, I was perusing the web and saw this:

http://www.impactguns.com/zel-tactilite-t-1-inultralitein-ar-upper-50-bmg-24in-ut1u2450.aspx

CA legal? Yes, no?

The law restricts .50 BMG RIFLES.

The upper, by itself, is legal. Inside California, mount it on a lower, such that it could be fired from the shoulder, and that's illegal.

See the wiki for an annotated set of links to the PC -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Penal_Code_covering_Assault_weapons_and_.50_Calibe r_rifles

joefreas
03-01-2012, 4:12 PM
If you own a RAW lower you can legally mount it to that.

russ69
03-01-2012, 4:40 PM
Get a 416 Barrett. Not even close to a grey area.

Cops says: Is that one of those 50 BMGs?

No sir, it's a .416 Barrett.

Cop says: Have a nice day.

CHS
03-01-2012, 4:45 PM
IIRC....it's only legal if you mount it on a tripod....and it becomes a 'crew-served' weapon rather than a 'rifle'.

No such thing as a "crew-served" weapon.

If it's missing a buttstock and over 26" in OAL, then it's just a Title 1 "other". It would generally be described on a 4473 as a "PGO-firearm" or "Pistol Grip Only firearm". Same legal status as the "Cruiser" shotguns, which aren't shotguns.

CSACANNONEER
03-01-2012, 4:48 PM
Upper is legal to own and even legal to use on a registered lower. I shoot my ALS 50BMG upper every chance I get.

Get a 416 Barrett. Not even close to a grey area.

Cops says: Is that one of those 50 BMGs?

No sir, it's a .416 Barrett.

Cop says: Have a nice day.

That's like saying to get a hamster instead of an airplane. the .416 Barrett is completely different than the 50BMG.

Colt-45
03-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Is it legal to posses a Barret .50 bmg rifle disassembled? or is the lower itself banned?

CHS
03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Is it legal to posses a Barret .50 bmg rifle disassembled? or is the lower itself banned?

I don't see why you couldn't possess it in CA disassembled.

Same thing as an AR without a maglock and upper detached.

Colt-45
03-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't see why you couldn't possess it in CA disassembled.

Same thing as an AR without a maglock and upper detached.

Interesting. I can imagine someone possessing one disassembled, having it confiscated and LEO not wanting to give it back, that would suck!

With the AR's, isn't it illegal to posses a lower that is on list even if it's detached from upper or stripped?

Does the law ban the Barret .50 BMG M107 or M82 lowers specifically? or does it just describe a functional .50 BMG Centerfire rifle?

Librarian
03-01-2012, 11:04 PM

Not being mechanically familiar with one, I have to ask the question: can you build anything else with the parts?

If 'no', then new copies of that rifle are indeed banned, disassembled or not.

If 'yes', then it seems to be similar to ARs, where a lower might have a bolt-action or rimfire or even crossbow upper (the visuals are better if one actually possesses such) and thus, with an OLL, it is not required to have a 'bullet button' when you use those non-semi-automatic, non-centerfire uppers.

With the AR's, isn't it illegal to posses a lower that is on list even if it's detached from upper or stripped?That's the way to treat them; since a stripped lower is neither centerfire nor a rifle, one could argue it wasn't a banned 'assault weapon'; the guess is it would take several 10s of thousands of dollars to defend a $200-$300 part, and still risk felony jail time if one might lose.

CHS
03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
With the AR's, isn't it illegal to posses a lower that is on list even if it's detached from upper or stripped?

It is believed by some that a listed lower just by itself is legal since it isn't a semi-automatic rifle. But that's a very expensive court test.

Does the law ban the Barret .50 BMG M107 or M82 lowers specifically? or does it just describe a functional .50 BMG Centerfire rifle?

The .50bmg ban just describes .50bmg rifles.

If a lower by itself without an upper isn't an AW since it isn't semi-auto or centerfire, then an M82A1 without an upper (which includes the barrel and is NOT the serial numbered part) isn't a .50bmg rifle either.

Not being mechanically familiar with one, I have to ask the question: can you build anything else with the parts?

You could swap out the barrel for a .510dtc barrel. Also, M82 lowers don't state .50bmg as a caliber, they just say "cal 50" from last I checked. The barrels are super easy to swap out. You could probably even convert to .416 barrett, which they sell as a factory option :)