PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article by Non-Shooting LibFem

doc540
03-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Though far from perfect, I think it's an honest and useful piece.

Amazingly, it's published in the FemLeft publication, "ELLE".

http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Society-Career-Power/Should-I-Buy-a-Gun

OleCuss
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Good article. Worth the read for her perspective.

Thank you.

doc540
03-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Good article. Worth the read for her perspective.

Thank you.

Than YOU for reading it.

Share it as widely as possible.

Coded-Dude
03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
The only thing I don't like about the article is the tagline: After falling victim to a string of traumatic crimes, Amanda Fortini considers a controversial means of protection

It is very well written regardless. Thanks for the link.

doc540
03-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it's far from perfect, but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives, all things considered. (pun intended)

Not only did she actually buy a gun, she received training, and said she enjoyed shooting it.

Not all the way home, but a few big steps in the right direction.

Nick Justice
03-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Pretty good. Shame, thought. Seems she was raised to fear everything, but not educated to handle and deal with fear, like grown-ups should be able to do.

BlindRacer
03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
"Id never seen an actual gun, except in the holsters of police officers. To my mind, guns were verboten, menacing, violent. They were unpredictable contraptions beloved of white supremacists or paranoid meth heads in creepy desert hideouts."

Hoplophobia anyone?

doc540
03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Pretty good. Shame, thought. Seems she was raised to fear everything, but not educated to handle and deal with fear, like grown-ups should be able to do.

Very true.

Of course, we better serve the cause of 2nd Amendment rights by better understanding the worldview of the anti's.

She offers a good look behind the curtain.

Glock22Fan
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
The only thing I don't like about the article is the tagline: After falling victim to a string of traumatic crimes, Amanda Fortini considers a controversial means of protection

It is very well written regardless. Thanks for the link.

Whether you think it should be or not, thanks to all the Libtards it IS controversial and the heading is accurate.

However, I seem to remember this article was in a thread back in January, so it is old news.

BlindRacer
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm about half way through reading it. So far it's a great article. She seems to have moved from a complete fear of the 'gun' itself, to realizing that it's just a tool.

It's a shame that it took her having to move to Montana, arguably the most pro-gun state in the union, for her to see that. If she had that knowledge prior to moving out of LA, maybe she wouldn't have spent over a year in complete fear, while living in her newly purchased home.

The Tiger
03-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Good article, thanks

BlindRacer
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Toward the end, she speaks of her past run ins with crime and violent attackers.

She speaks about her luck in those situations, and how they turned out for the better. She ultimately did not need to have, or use a gun to end the traumatic experience. She also speaks about if she had ended up killing one of those people in the heat of the moment.

I see this in a couple ways. In hindsight, those situations turned out for the better. She didn't ultimately need the gun, and no one was harmed. However, a gun does not always have to be fired to be used. They can thwart those attackers without a shot. And in a situation like the drugged out guy trying to break into her door, even though it turned out for the better, it doesn't mean that she did not fear for her life and/or great bodily injury. If the even had turned out different...the guy didn't pass out before he busted down the door...she probably would have been dead. If she had a gun, she could have protected herself if he did get through the door.

Anyways. Great read. Hopefully it's read by additional hoplophobes, and maybe they'll realize it's just a tool, and it's not going to just 'go off'. And that it's not something that only meth heads, and white supremacists have.

kaligaran
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks for posting.

For many people, having it is piece of mind. Like a parachute.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

sd_shooter
03-01-2012, 1:39 PM
It is a pretty good article, but I seem to remember seeing this recently.

:dupe:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7860957

doug-y-doug
03-01-2012, 1:56 PM
Great article. It really pisses me off that some pro-2A readers felt the need to insult her intelligence and political views in the comments section. To those who disagree with some of the language used in the article, keep the readership in mind. Appealing to a target audience's senses is an effective way of enhancing communication, and thus understanding.

PhalSe
03-01-2012, 2:25 PM
This is a great article for illustrating the opposing viewpoint. However i'm not sure i want to show it to my friends who are on the fence because fear is such an overwhelming motivating force for the author. I think they will read that as validation of their feeling that owning a gun is an act of irrational cowardice. She also ends the article at a still very uncomfortable place regarding guns because she is too fearful to keep it in a secure but ready to use configuration and also hasn't trained herself to make it ready quickly. I really hope she writes a follow-up article.

SFgiants105
03-01-2012, 2:34 PM
It is a pretty good article, but I seem to remember seeing this recently.

:dupe:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7860957

Exactly what I was thinking.

doc540
03-01-2012, 2:49 PM
Oh, old news and a repost.

My apology for not having done a thorough search before I posted it.

Thanks for making that important, salient point.:p

gunforumtypes - ya just gotta love'em

Librarian
03-01-2012, 3:24 PM
Thanks for finding the earlier thread.