PDA

View Full Version : DOJ check specific to 1 gun?

Bikebro
03-01-2012, 7:42 AM
I recently purchased my first shotgun from a store that had it in their warehouse(last one on closeout). After waiting the 10 days I came into pick it up but they seemed to have lost it. The literally can't figure out if they have the gun or not. My question is if they can't find the gun do I have to wait 10 days again to get a different one?

dantodd
03-01-2012, 8:02 AM
Not for long guns. There is no serial number associated with the bg check/waiting period. You can buy as many as they list on the DROS.

Some dealers leave the "number of guns" field empty until pick up time so you can pick up one or more additional guns at pick up time. Some FFLs think this is not kosher, none have ever been cited or reprimanded for doing it.

One of the coolest things ever, in CA, was going to pick up a gun out of jail and buying an additional gun cash and carry!

RP1911
03-01-2012, 9:01 AM
As long as you are within the 30-days from DROS start period.

fairfaxjim
03-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Not for long guns. There is no serial number associated with the bg check/waiting period. You can buy as many as they list on the DROS.

Some dealers leave the "number of guns" field empty until pick up time so you can pick up one or more additional guns at pick up time. Some FFLs think this is not kosher, none have ever been cited or reprimanded for doing it.

One of the coolest things ever, in CA, was going to pick up a gun out of jail and buying an additional gun cash and carry!

The reason "some FFLs think this is not kosher" is that the DOJ BOF says it isn't. I don't have a clue about any FFLs being cited or reprimanded for it, but I received an email from the BOF that stated "once the 4473 was signed and dated, the purchase was concluded and no further firearms could be added to the DROS"
On the other hand, I have added long guns/OLL's at pickup too. I've also had FFLs refuse to do it.

dirtyJ
03-02-2012, 9:54 AM
You can't leave the number of guns field empty. The DROS won't continue until you put a number in there. What some people do is put a higher number in, then cross it out and write in a lower one. It's frowned upon, but the 3 audits I went through said there's nothing they can really do about it. Was even told I could increase the number by Dana, but he's gone now, so yeah.

frankm
03-02-2012, 1:22 PM
Turners won't do it, I tried it last Tuesday when picking up a gun.