PDA

View Full Version : GPS Grip Pod

SFgiants105
03-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Hello fellow Calgunners,

I was browsing the web and stumbled upon one of these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24481/Product/GPS-02-GRIP-POD

Is it legal for me to put one of these on my bullet-buttoned AR?

Also, has anyone used/own one of these. They seem to be pretty useful.

sffred
03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
yes it is ca legal but not a good bipod, imo

drifter2be
03-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Legal, but does a poor job of being a bipod, and IMHO is an uncomfortable grip as well. Do yourself a favor and buy a harris bipod and a separate vertical grip (one that is ergonomic/comfortable) and save yourself a little money at the same time.

MrPlink
03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Not a good bipod and too big of a VFG

SFgiants105
03-01-2012, 1:29 AM
Okay thanks guys. Even though it seems like a good idea, I guess not too many people like it. I was mainly under the impression that I could save weight by getting one of these instead of a grip and bipod.

Also, I was really curious as to the legality of a vertical foregrip on a gun with a pistol grip and BB.

Anyone a fan of the Magpul AFG (angled foregrip)? What's the difference between the afg1 and afg2?

Also, what is a good bipod that mounts on a picatinny rail? Ideally, I would like to get a lightweight one that can swivel. Any ideas?

scotty99
03-01-2012, 5:46 AM
My son has a grip pod on his AR and while it does make for a big vfg, it's not a bad bipod. If weight were a factor, I wouldn't hesitate to use it over not having a bipod at all. I have the AFG 2 on my newest AR and I'm still on the fence. Some days I love it and some days it bugs me. It does provide much more grip versatility than a vfg though, so that is a benefit. The AFG2 is smaller and has a little less angle than v1.

I'm sure it will take no more than five minutes for my account to be suspended after this recommendation, but UTG makes a sweet lightweight bipod that slips right on the rail and can be had on eBay brand new for under $30. It is their lightweight tactical version. It's solid, and frankly better looking than the Harris. Maybe not as durable, but buy two and keep the extra $25.

Army
03-01-2012, 6:53 AM
The only thing "bad", is it has no means of adjustment. The height it comes out, is all you get. Otherwise, it's a good solid rest...and a great big vfg :)

Arkangel
03-01-2012, 7:21 AM
I have the military version of the GPS. It does an ok job as a vfg, but like others have said... It is on the larger side. I have it mounted on my Saiga. I run the AFG 2 on my AR. I prefer the AFG.

I will probably will just switch to an AFG 2 for the Saiga.

kauaibuilt
03-01-2012, 8:02 AM
I have an AFG1 on my 15/22 and AFG2 on my 16" AR. Just picked up 2 grippods and havent had the chance to try them out other then in the house. As a VFG its "large" as in tall but I dont think it would get in the way of paper punching - now if youre switching from rifle to pistol and back I can see where the length would be bothersome. For me the AFG was fine, but so far I like a VFG - being able to wedge my hand into that 90* angle and pull the rifle into my shoulder with a thumb forward grip. The AFG, even with the little finger rest, allows my hand to slide backward and I dont get the solid shoulder feel I like.

As a bipod, again tried it in the house, it was actually the perfect height for me. Was at Angeles range the other day w/ my Harris bipod - I honestly dont see the GP being much better or worse, at least for what I do (again, paper punching @ 100m - not long range "precision" work).

I personally dont like loading my rifles down with all kinds of stuff - so to have a separate VFG/AFG and a bipod just makes a lightweight weapon heavy. I was even on the fence about an RDS (I can use irons and hit iron quickly and easily out to 100m without a problem - now I just need to get on the "other" range) but got a great deal on an AP PRO and 3x magnifier that I just couldnt turn down.

What it appears is that it's just going to come down to personal preference and it probably means that youre either going to have to beg, borrow, steal, or buy the components and try them out to figure what you want.

SFgiants105
03-01-2012, 2:03 PM
While I am interested in tactical value, I am going to be putting this on a .308 hunting rifle. I wanted to have a rifle that is mostly geared towards precision/hunting with a "just-in-case" tactical capability. It seems as though for anything over 18" of barrel, the AFG would be better suited to my needs.

tpat663
03-01-2012, 4:22 PM
Atlas bi-pod is the way to go.

tpat663
03-01-2012, 4:24 PM
Westernsportonline.com has them.

saki302
03-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Want a good bipod? Harris.

Want a good VFG? Bobro. Tango Down.

There should be room for one of each.

I thought the Magpul AFG was a little weird when I first tried it. Now I own three.

-Dave