View Full Version : .308 M1 - What are my options?

02-29-2012, 9:11 PM
It looks like the Springfield M1s in .308 are no longer being produced. What are my options?

Is converting a 30-06 to 308 just a matter of a barrel change? Could I get a CMP Garand and buy a 308 barrel from Fulton and be done with it, or are there other parts that need to be switched out?

Thank you.

02-29-2012, 9:30 PM
You can get them custom made. Yes it will cost some $$. I have a S.A. Inc National Match 7.62 Garand and it is wonderful. My son was 2 for 2 at metal 8" flasher targets with it at 320 yards during a 3 gun match. Once you get one you won't want to get rid of it. To be honest I also have a 30-06 Garand and I like it better.

02-29-2012, 9:44 PM
All you need is a 308 barrel and someone who can install it and check for headspace. Most barrels like Fulton Armory's barrels are short chambered (Fulton says theirs are .010 short). To install one you would install the barrel then use a finish reamer to finish the chamber, then check with headspace gauges. This isn't something you would want to do yourself unless you really know what your doing. Although the military installed magazine blocks which were just plastic blocks to prevent a 30-06 loaded clip from being inserted, you don't need to do this, to convert to 308 you only need the barrel.

02-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Get a RG from CMP and send it to Shuff's... I've seen his work, its top notch.

03-01-2012, 4:16 AM
Get a RG from CMP and send it to Shuff's... I've seen his work, its top notch.

Wow! That's good work, especially the magazine conversion. Have you shot any of his rifles or know someone who owns one? I might go this route when I get back to the States next year. I wish CMP would ship to APO addresses. :D

03-01-2012, 4:33 AM
Buy a Rack Grade Garand from the CMP, and order a Criterion made .308 barrel from them at the same time. If you want something with better wood, order a Service Grade. If you lived closer, I would help you install the barrel and refinish the rifle. If you get a Service Grade, you may not need to refinish the rifle.

03-01-2012, 6:11 AM
The CMP eStore doesn't have any 308 barrels, only 30-06. Another person who would be good to do the work for you would be Mark Heckman, who's Calguns screen name is oheckman. Mark took over the M1 gunsmithing business from the legendary Don McCoy. Don had been teaching Mark his M1 gunsmithing skills for many years before passing away last year. PM oheckman for more info. He's located in San Diego.

03-01-2012, 7:00 AM
Just put together my 5th M1 in 308, three were with new Navy 7.62mm barrels, I believe Champions Choice still does .308 barreling, I believe their Douglas barrels and have shot extremely well.

Apply standard sight/trigger tune ups, bedding in NEW stock and glue in front handguard and most will shoot 1 moa.

No need for mag blocks as they feed just fine and you can seat bullets out when throat wears.

Just checked their website and they are not rebarreling anymore, Kendog4570 is local gunsmith/guy who can do it for you.

03-01-2012, 7:45 AM
Could also try Tom Luhmann (TLC Gunworks) in Clovis (next to Fresno). He's a serious M1 guy and can do a barrel change for you.

03-01-2012, 9:55 AM
dwtt, I've had Tim Shufflin do a straightforward barrel/caliber conversion, and also a "Mini-G" conversion. He's good, fast and has reasonable prices - a combination not often seen. I'm very satisfied with his work.

03-03-2012, 8:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I better start filling out my CMP paperwork.