PDA

View Full Version : Can an 01 assemble and sell AR lower

AvyDriver
02-29-2012, 8:08 PM
A couple questions but primarily can an 01 assemble an AR lower in their inventory and sell it? If they can is that assembled lower susceptible to FET or only of sold with an assembled upper. Lastly can an 01 buy all the parts as well as a receiver set from say mega arms and then sell that rifle as a gunsmithed (requested build by customer) or is that manufacturing. If its manufacturing how is it different than a custom 1911 build by a gunsmith?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoingQuiet
02-29-2012, 9:01 PM
The answer is no.

efillc
03-01-2012, 4:45 AM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html#dealer-gunsmithing
No.

AvyDriver
03-01-2012, 6:05 AM
Thanks for the link. Please understand I am not trying to argue, simply asking questions so I better understand what is legal and what is not.

In the link it states, ". There are circumstances in which a gunsmith might require a manufacturing license. Generally, a person should obtain a license as a manufacturer of firearms if the person is: 1. performing operations which create firearms or alter firearms (in the case of alterations, the work is not being performed at the request of customers, rather the person who is altering the firearms is purchasing them, making the changes, and then reselling them), "

Also #5 states "A company receives firearm frames from individual customers, attaches stocks and barrels and returns the firearms to the customers for the customers' personal use.
The operations performed on the firearms were not for the purpose of sale or distribution. The company should be licensed as a dealer or gunsmith, not as a manufacturer of firearms."

So number 5 clearly addresses assembling a lower for someone if the customer provides the lower receiver

The first one also mentions at the request of the customer. So if a customer went to an 01 that sales and offers Gunsmithing services could they then buy a stripped receiver from the 01 and then pay to have it assembled for them at the request of the customer for that customers personal use? That's how I understand those two statements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efillc
03-01-2012, 8:39 AM
So if a customer went to an 01 that sales and offers Gunsmithing services could they then buy a stripped receiver from the 01 and then pay to have it assembled for them at the request of the customer for that customers personal use? That's how I understand those two statements.
That would be the legal way to do it. I would split the invoices.