PDA

View Full Version : handguns and children

seanschevy
02-29-2012, 7:43 PM
If I don't have any children is there any reason to worry about securing a handgun when I am gone?

I plan too just hide the gun the best I can, I see no reason for a safe if I have only one handgun and one rifle.

I only ask because of the information in the study guide for the HSC. It seems like whoever wrote that is very paranoid and it in turn makes me paranoid.

Kodemonkey
02-29-2012, 7:48 PM
The way the law is written you are liable if your gun gets into the hands of children. You have to figure your exposure, but to me a $90 quick access gunvault is piece of mind. Do you know anyone who had kids? They could come over and find it.

seanschevy
02-29-2012, 8:01 PM
No, I am only 21, no one I associate with has children and my landlord doesn't have kids.

The only way I can think of a kid getting my guns is an underage gang member breaking in and stealing it or an adult stealing it and letting a kid get it.

I wouldn't be liable if it was stolen would I?

I agree about the vault but I figure if I am robbed my hiding spot might be good enough, a cheap safe would easily be found and taken.

X231
02-29-2012, 8:08 PM
Get a safe now. If you don't now, then you'll get one after your guns are stolen. The crooks know all the hiding places

seanschevy
02-29-2012, 8:43 PM
A safe would be nice. There are a few problems with buying a safe.

A large, effective safe would probably cost as much/more than the two guns I own. I could replace them cheaper than a good safe. I am not buying more guns.

I do not own my own home. I can't go around putting huge bolts in my floor.

A small safe that could be more easily seen and taken is worse then devising a nice hiding spot. They can take the safe and run faster then they can find my spot.

five.five-six
02-29-2012, 8:47 PM
the law says basically, that if a reasonable person would expect a child to gain access to your gun, AND it's kept loaded, AND someone gets hurt/kilt.. then you are copable...

Librarian should be along any time now to post the exact text law with a litany of supporting documentation

chim-chim7
02-29-2012, 8:57 PM
Maybe a safe for your two guns would cost more than your guns are worth. Safes are for more than just guns you know. Jewelry, guns, bonds, deeds, family heirlooms, coins, cash, supplies, etc.....You don't want to contribute to guns being on the street, get a safe. The whole apartment thing is a big excuse. You can bolt down a safe, long as your downstairs. I know, I have done it. I had to pay $200 of my deposit when I moved but so what. If you own a gun its your responsibility to keep them in your possession until legally sold.

Librarian
02-29-2012, 9:00 PM
the law says basically, that if a reasonable person would expect a child to gain access to your gun, AND it's kept loaded, AND someone gets hurt/kilt.. then you are copable...

Librarian should be along any time now to post the exact text law with a litany of supporting documentation

True, but OP seems pretty low risk on that one; if his guns are taken in a break-in, no liability, and he doesn't seem to expect visitors of the under-21 kind.

It's PC 25100 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/25100.html), and the exception is part of 25105 Section 25100 does not apply whenever any of the following
occurs:
(a) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry
to any premises by any person.

CSACANNONEER
02-29-2012, 9:04 PM
The way the law is written you are liable if your gun gets into the hands of children. You have to figure your exposure, but to me a $90 quick access gunvault is piece of mind. Do you know anyone who had kids? They could come over and find it.

Please reread the law.

voiceofreason
02-29-2012, 9:30 PM
Would highly recommend you be able to secure your firearms. Or at least render them incapable of being fired.

At the VERY least, run a cable lock through the action of the guns.

For a handgun, I'd recommend buying a fireproof safe for your DOCUMENTS. Feel free to stash your unloaded gun in there as well with them.

seanschevy
02-29-2012, 9:39 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Librarian, I am now less paranoid.

dieselpower
03-01-2012, 6:24 AM
I leave loaded firearms laying around my house...the same way I was raised. My Glock 17 is sitting on the coffee table 5 feet from me and has been since New Years Eve...untouched.

People who were never brought up with firearms buy firearms as adults, then have kids..they then negligent or refuse to teach their kids how to act around firearms...this leads to tragedy. Every single home I went into as a child had a loaded gun or guns and ammo in it. Kids brought guns to school all the time, we had to leave them in our lockers (Seniors) or keep them in the Assistant Principles closet. I remember seeing a dozen or more rifles in there when storing mine. He was the only one with a keyed closet.

CSACANNONEER
03-01-2012, 7:21 AM
I leave loaded firearms laying around my house...the same way I was raised. My Glock 17 is sitting on the coffee table 5 feet from me and has been since New Years Eve...untouched.

People who were never brought up with firearms buy firearms as adults, then have kids..they then negligent or refuse to teach their kids how to act around firearms...this leads to tragedy. Every single home I went into as a child had a loaded gun or guns and ammo in it. Kids brought guns to school all the time, we had to leave them in our lockers (Seniors) or keep them in the Assistant Principles closet. I remember seeing a dozen or more rifles in there when storing mine. He was the only one with a keyed closet.

Yep, I do the same. In fact, I haven't seen one loaded handgun in a couple of months, ever since I gave it to a kid to keep in his room. But, I guess it's almost time to change out a few rounds for shotshells. I better ask for it back in the next month or so.

Jeepergeo
03-01-2012, 8:03 AM
In your immediate and personal control at all times or fully secured in a locked safe or vault. Whether that is required by your state's laws or not, it is the only sensible and responsible way to go.

sanjosebmx
03-01-2012, 8:36 AM
the bedside safe won't keep the gun out of the hands of a criminal, they will simply pick up the safe and take it...

Why not take your gun with you? Gone where, like at work or gone on a trip?

lickitysplit
03-01-2012, 8:42 AM
Field strip, stash parts in multi places. take a part or two with you.

Just remeber where you put them. :)

Kodemonkey
03-01-2012, 9:31 AM
I should know better than to use my phone to read calguns when the kids are still up. I get distracted. And I should have been more detailed.

There is no requirement for a safe, it is just that if other people have access to your apartment it's a good idea. Or at least unload it and put it out of reach when you are not home. Kids are curious and if they find a gun who knows what will happen. You can teach your own kids about gun safety, but you have no control over their friends, your girlfriend's friend's kids, etc.

If they manage to break open a safe somehow and shoot themselves or someone else, you are covered because you made a pretty reasonable attempt to secure it. A DA isn't gonna go after you for that. Same thing goes if a kid breaks into your house and blows his head off.

If, however, you leave a loaded gun on a coffee table and your girlfriends work associate brings her kid to your apartment for lunch and kills himself, you are going to have a problem. Nor only criminal liability, but you are going to pay for it dearly in a wrongful death lawsuit.

If you aren't going to use a safe, I'd put the child lock through the action when I'm not at home and hide it like you say. But that is just me - you don't need to do that legally.

By the way, the gunvaults have a cable that attaches to them that you can secure to something heavy or bulky like a steel bedframe. It's not foolproof, but it adds a little protection from someone who is trying to get in and get out quickly.

If you want really cheap, the gunvault nanovault is like $30. It also makes a great case for locked unloaded concealed carry or for transport if you have a vehicle without a locking trunk.

theduece
03-01-2012, 9:46 AM
No, I am only 21, no one I associate with has children and my landlord doesn't have kids.

The only way I can think of a kid getting my guns is an underage gang member breaking in and stealing it or an adult stealing it and letting a kid get it.

I wouldn't be liable if it was stolen would I?

I agree about the vault but I figure if I am robbed my hiding spot might be good enough, a cheap safe would easily be found and taken.

What about bolting the little gunvault to a peice of furniture? Piece of mind and it is secure? Well more secure than under your mattress.

Break ins do occur. They do occur by minors. It is my and many other people's interpretation of the law that you would not be liable for that. Is it your anti-2a DA's? Do you want to have to go through buying another firearm? Don't get me wrong I like buying guns.... new guns, used guns, all of them. Would I want to buy a replacement? Nope only additions.

Some sort of cable lock at least for the rifle and a small gunvault for the pistol. Total investment @ $120. Will it stop a professional thief? hardly. will it stall stop a smash and grab oppurtunist??? possibly

tileguy
03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
your home is is like a giant safe. lock the doors and windows and a normal person would assume its secure. i have more than 1 safe and still keep firearms in the main house like dieselpower does. have you seen the videos about how easy it is to break into most safes.

paul0660
03-01-2012, 12:47 PM
You don't need a safe, and you should have one. $100 will get you a stack on cabinet which will lower your exposure by 99%.

Curley Red
03-01-2012, 2:19 PM

You leave loaded guns laying around when you are gone? The OP asked for when he was gone.

RedFord150
03-01-2012, 2:40 PM
What about bolting the little gunvault to a peice of furniture? Piece of mind and it is secure? Well more secure than under your mattress...

I bolted a Homak safe inside of a nightstand for the one handgun I leave outside of my big safe. I open it when I come home, I lock it when I leave or when small kids enter the house.
It can be cut open, but would likely require some power tools. This should stop (or slow down) the average amateur or random gangbanger.
I would hope this would prevent an intruder from grabbing my gun and using it against me.
This is a lot of 'Peace of mind' for a very small price.

theduece
03-01-2012, 5:38 PM
Thats all your ever going to do. Nothing is absolutely theft proof.

In a time not so long ago....lol before I had kids loaded unlocked guns were ALWAYS around the house. But I lived in the country and had Good neighbors and large angry dogs.....

They never went off, they didn't get used against me, they sat there unused..... but like I said in the country good neighbors angry dogs. And some foolishness mixed in.

Now in suburbia with kids, even nice suburbia with loud dogs and good neighbors.... I leave they get locked up.