PDA

View Full Version : I just purchased a Rem 700 / .338 Lapua

Ding126
02-29-2012, 6:21 PM
I wanted a new bolt gun...was leaning towards a .308 cal and then started reading.......

Thinking of adding:

base n rings- Night Force
Scope- Night Force
ammo? I'm leaning towards the Remington & Berger

Any Feed back or suggestion would be appreciated..

I will also add a AI stock in the future

Thanks

Lostsheep
02-29-2012, 6:26 PM
No suggestions but I want to go a similar route AND:

:useless:

Ding126
02-29-2012, 6:46 PM
In FFL hold for 10 days

skkeeter
02-29-2012, 6:49 PM
Get ready to invest in some reloading equipment. It will save you lots of money in the long run. Plus you will get the best accuracy out of your gun if you develop a load for your specific rifle. They are a blast to shoot, have fun. Hopefully your rifle came with a muzzle break. If not, GET one:)
Happy shooting.

Iloveguns
02-29-2012, 6:51 PM
^^

Reloading is the way to go for that thing. NF is a great way to go.

Iloveguns
02-29-2012, 6:51 PM
^^

Reloading is the way to go for that thing. NF is a great way to go.

G60
02-29-2012, 6:55 PM
Get ready to invest in some reloading equipment.

This.

bearstatearmory.com
02-29-2012, 7:14 PM
My plan is to start doing the same thing, purchase the 700/338LM and start builiding it into a custom rifle. Congrats on the new firearm!

HK Dave
02-29-2012, 9:49 PM
Awesome round.

I think you can NOT go wrong with Nightforce.

Phil3
02-29-2012, 9:51 PM
I will own a 338 Lapua Mag one day. Utterly useless on my local 100 yard range, but so are 180+ mph sports cars and they are still fun. Reloading will drive the $6/round cost to little more than $1. Even with a muzzle brake, you may done after $20 in ammo is gone. The thing IS deafening with the brake when fired under a hooded rifle range. Your neighbors will not like you.

Phil

RONIN.
02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I wanted a new bolt gun...was leaning towards a .308 cal and then started reading.......

Thinking of adding:

base n rings- Night Force
Scope- Night Force
ammo? I'm leaning towards the Remington & Berger

Any Feed back or suggestion would be appreciated..

I will also add a AI stock in the future

Thanks

if your gonna buy off the shelf ammo, I strongly recommend you buy some black hills..

then SAVE ur brass and reload...

as for optics.. nightforce is nice, I would go elsewhere but to each there own..

dstewart
03-01-2012, 8:05 AM
Put this link in your favorites,
http://www.brunoshooters.com

Best prices on 338 projectiles, Lapua Brass, Redding Dies, and great inventory of powder. You cant own a 338LM and not reload, that or Mitt Romney does YOUR taxes.

What ever factory ammo you decide to buy MAKE SURE they use Lapua brand brass! The Lapua brass will last far longer and give you less problems sticking in your chamber then others. I recommend you call these guys in Phoenix, http://www.southwestammunition.com/ They use new Lapua brass for their loads. Good guys and a good price for factory ammo. I've bought and used some of there 338LM ammo.

I run a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 ZS-HS MIL/MLR with NF rings on my 338LM. Its a very nice scope and I do not regret it one bit. I think its a very hard scope to beat for overall reliability and quality under 2K. There are a few others in the same ballpark you may want to look at like SuperSniper and Vortex Razor HD (or the PST if cost is an issue), great glass quality but they don't have the same reputation for durability as NF yet. If I was to have my first choice it would have been a Premier Heritage or Zeiss Hensoldt but you need to add another 1K.

There is allot of 338LM info on snipershide.com and longrangehunting.com (I'm dstewart51 on both).

wsmc27
03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
^^^ dstewart is EVERYWHERE! ;)

Love your Savage, thanks for bringing to Corona the other day.

OP, where's the pics? :confused: How do you like it?? Range report!