PDA

View Full Version : Avoid EXTREME Guns & Ammo for purchases.

keninsb
02-29-2012, 4:35 PM
I just wanted to pass along my experience with this seller.
I was looking for an Osprey Gas Piston Kit for my AR so like a lot of folks I shopped around on the net for the best price. EXTREME Guns & Ammo had the kit that I needed for $300 shipped and in stock so I ordered it.
I had to order another handguard for my AR to accomodate the piston system and it took a couple of weeks for me to receive it. In the mean time I decided to check the piston part of the kit to make sure it would clear the barrel, etc. As it turned out, it did not. I had been told by two emplyees at EXTREME Guns (I believe one of them was the owner) that the Osprey Kit WOULD work with my system.
Upon checking the website, EXTREME charges a 25% restocking fee (that is $75.00 just to return an unused item!!!). I called and talked to an employee to see if they could give me a break on the fee and was advised that:

That is the store policy.
It was MY responibility to make sure the kit fit my gun before I made the purchase.
I asked him to check with the owner to see if they could cut me a break. I didn't mind paying a restocking fee but $75 seemed a little steep. He told me that they would call me back, but they never did. I left two phone messages and sent two emails regarding the issue with no response, so rather than return the kit to them I sold it a more of a loss to a private party because I did not want to deal with them anymore.
Anyway, I would stay away from them, it is obvious they are not big on customer retention.
Ken

Oceanbob
02-29-2012, 5:55 PM
So what do you want them to do..? Refund the entire amount.? After a few weeks..?...

They had the return policy on the website. They didn't lie to you. Many companies have this policy.

I really can't blame them for not taking back parts you bought, kept for a few weeks and wanted to return for a full refund.

How is it fair to them to refund the entire amount after the already sold the kit to you..? What if they ordered more KITS to replace the one you bought and now they have NO MONEY and another Kit on the shelf they have to sell just to break even..?

I think you're being unfair to this company by posting an "AVOID" headline.

dieselpower
02-29-2012, 6:05 PM
I am on the other side of OceanBob... if the Owner and a Salesman told you, or informed you that the part will fit...either outright lie or honest mistake...its on them... No restocking fee. I seem to remember that its illegal in the sales industry. Even buyer beware law has its limits where negligence and deceit are tossed in.

The problem is unless you have it in writing or they are honest and say they remember telling you that, you have to pay the fee.

Also keep in mind you may be remembering things different from how they happened. For all we know you are making all this up.

zfields
02-29-2012, 6:11 PM
As a rule, I avoid any company / product with "EXTREME" in the title.

keninsb
02-29-2012, 7:29 PM
So what do you want them to do..? Refund the entire amount.? After a few weeks..?...

They had the return policy on the website. They didn't lie to you. Many companies have this policy.

I really can't blame them for not taking back parts you bought, kept for a few weeks and wanted to return for a full refund.

How is it fair to them to refund the entire amount after the already sold the kit to you..? What if they ordered more KITS to replace the one you bought and now they have NO MONEY and another Kit on the shelf they have to sell just to break even..?

I think you're being unfair to this company by posting an "AVOID" headline.

I guess I was not totally clear in my first post.
I don't expect the company to take back the product at no expense to them (even though Brownells and other companies do). I was hoping for, and even asked the employee at EXTREME Guns to maybe make it 10% ($30) instead of the $75 that they wanted. As I stated, I am more than willing to pay A restocking fee, it's just that 25% seems pretty exreme.
Also, I think I mentioned that the seller told me that this would fit my Rock River Arms AR-15 with SS Match barrel, so do I believe the seller or not?
Check out the diagram from Osprey that I was using prior to purchase (attached). It was taken directly from the Osprey site and does not mention the barrel thickness where the piston system rides over the barrel. I did my homework and then some. I just do not think it is right to charge 25% and expect to retain customers.
BTW The Adams Arms Piston Kit fit perfectly, no problems.
Ken

keninsb
03-07-2012, 5:53 PM
Just wanted to post a follow up to my original post and make a few things clear.
First and most importanatly, I post this type of post to make fellow members of the forum know about my experiences (good and bad) to help other members.
Second, I did a LOT of research on several brands of piston kits including making several phone calls. EXTREME Guns DEFINITELY told me that the Osprey kit would fit my Rock River Arms Upper with the match barrel. I do remember that very clearly. I am an honest guy and just want an honest deal.
I have done a LOT of private sales on eBay and GunBroker (username keninsb) and have an AWESOME record as a seller and buyer. The only reason that I posted this thread was to warn other members not to make the same the same mistake I did. Just trying to help, not be spiteful. The seller kept his money, but lost a loyal repeat customer.
Lastly, I just want two things noted:
1) I post the same type of posts on several other truck forums that I belong to and more are praising the business than are bagging on them.
2) I never asked for ALL of my money back, just a compromise. With the economy being what it is I would think that any good business would be willing to work things out.
That's my 2 cents.
Ken

Rob454
03-07-2012, 9:44 PM
I guess I was not totally clear in my first post.
I don't expect the company to take back the product at not expense to them .
Ken

I would. Especially since they told me that the item WILL work with my rifle. Its not my fault you don't know the product you are selling. i am going by YOUR advice as the salesman and expert of the items you stock and sell. i would expect a full refund. Yes even after a few weeks. just because you delivered it does not mean i dropped everything to work on that project.

BKinzey
03-08-2012, 1:17 AM
I'd expect a full refund. They said it would fit.

Legally that becomes part of the contract. Since they said it verbally it would be harder to prove if they denied it but let's say they said so in an email. If you took them to court you would win.

You are right. It's piss poor customer service to tell you it would fit and then later say it was your responsibility to find out if they knew what the were talking about.

The time you had it is a factor but I don't think a couple of weeks should matter. More like 30+ days. A lot of business is done on a 90 day schedule.