PDA

View Full Version : Stockton nearing bankruptcy. Opportunity to suggest virtual Shall Issue to raise $$$?

Paladin
02-29-2012, 5:29 PM
Title says it all.

Since "Shall Issue" has reduced violent crime around the nation, that will save the PD and city some $$$. So, they can both increase their income and reduce their expenses by issuing more LTCs. Sounds win-win to me.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stockton-could-become-biggest-city-062559370.html

Can't tell if Stockton PD issues LTCs:
http://www.stocktongov.com/government/departments/police/default.html

The article also says, "In 2008, Vallejo became the biggest California city to file for bankruptcy, and it emerged from bankruptcy last year."

Can't tell if Vallejo PD issues LTCs:
http://www.ci.vallejo.ca.us/GovSite/default.asp?serviceID1=79

Connor P Price
02-29-2012, 5:36 PM
Personally I don't think it is wise to go down the path of turning the licensing of a fundamental right into a fund raising strategy for our government.

taperxz
02-29-2012, 5:38 PM
I was under the impression that the government can not profit from LTC's

Glock22Fan
02-29-2012, 5:40 PM
Personally I don't think it is wise to go down the path of turning the licensing of a fundamental right into a fund raising strategy for our government.

That's what I thought the moment I read the thread title.

Sets dangerous precedents.

radioman
02-29-2012, 5:40 PM
the state should go BK and get out of all the union contracts

wildhawker
02-29-2012, 5:41 PM
I was under the impression that the government can not profit from LTC's

You are correct.

The licensing authority of any city, city and county, or
county may charge an additional fee in an amount equal to the actual
costs for processing the application for a new license, including any
required notices, excluding fingerprint and training costs, but in
no case to exceed one hundred dollars ($100), and shall transmit the
additional fee, if any, to the city, city and county, or county
treasury.

Cal. Penal Code Sec. 26190(b)(1).

-Brandon

Librarian
02-29-2012, 5:44 PM
They have 29 out for civilians.

At $100 max income each, LTC would be only a minor profit-center - somewhere around 200,000 adults might be eligible. That's $20 million, if everyone were to apply and qualify, nothing to sneeze at, but nowhere near that many would apply - probably more like 5% of that number, for about $1 million.

And there's some overhead to processing the apps, so the profit would not be the whole $1 million.

But it would be fun to watch the city explain why it didn't want almost a million dollars.

Veggie
03-01-2012, 12:54 AM
They would rather file bankruptcy.

scarville
03-01-2012, 6:31 AM
Interesting idea but...

More guns -> Less crime.

Less crime -> Less need for police.

Less need for police -> Smaller police departments.

Smaller police departments -> Fewer union members.

Fewer union members -> Less power for the unions.

Do you really think that SEIU etal will let that happen without a fight?

CCWFacts
03-01-2012, 8:55 AM
Interesting idea but...

Fewer union members -> Less power for the unions.

Do you really think that SEIU etal will let that happen without a fight?

Exactly. And SEIU et al control this state and that's why we're going to win in the courts, not in the legislature.

Wherryj
03-01-2012, 9:09 AM

That path has already been pretty well used unfortunately.

Gray Peterson
03-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Exactly. And SEIU et al control this state and that's why we're going to win in the courts, not in the legislature.

Good cause & moral character is courts. Smaller changes can be done.

Connor P Price
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
That path has already been pretty well used unfortunately.

We don't need to encourage it though.

CCWFacts
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
The pattern seems to be that the unions here will pilot towns into the ground. Look at Vallejo. The unions could have made concessions on their pensions and compensation to avert Vallejo's bankruptcy. Of course they did not. The same is happening in Detroit by the way. The unions there could easily avoid Detroit being placed into receivership, but they will not do it. In other cities like Oakland, the unions have had a choice between layoffs and compensation cuts. They choose layoffs, because the senior members know it will only lay off the bottom 20% (or whatever) and so the 80% who won't be laid off, vote for layoffs.

Getting back to LTCs, the unions run the city which is why it's going into bankruptcy and the unions will oppose LTCs as long as they can breathe.

Remember, cities don't care about bankruptcy, or money, or services. The city government works for the unions, and that's all you need to know to understand what's happening in this state.

FatCity67
03-02-2012, 12:04 PM
They have 29 out for civilians.

At $100 max income each, LTC would be only a minor profit-center - somewhere around 200,000 adults might be eligible. That's $20 million, if everyone were to apply and qualify, nothing to sneeze at, but nowhere near that many would apply - probably more like 5% of that number, for about $1 million.

And there's some overhead to processing the apps, so the profit would not be the whole $1 million.

But it would be fun to watch the city explain why it didn't want almost a million dollars.

I know one of the coveted few who have City PD issued LTC's and he has had it since the 1990's.

Not going to happen under this City Administration. You'd have a better chance with Sheriff Moore and that would be a snow ball in hell.