PDA

View Full Version : how many have safes?

jubjubrsx
02-29-2012, 3:53 PM
Ok I'm quite curious here, and please be honest how many of you all keep all your guns/ammo in a actual safe?

Reason I bring this up I was searching and did some reading about how people kept guns by their door, or even strapped to the back of their door, in every room(paranoid people), or see them on gun racks on the wall, etc.

I totally 100% understand if you have kids to safe them. I've always had guns in the house even since I was a kid, typically in the corner of a room or what ever.

I for one keep them in a hidden cut out in the closet wall(behind the drywall). I have no kids, just me the g/f and 2 doggies. I will get a real safe when I do have kids though.

please no flames. so safe/no safe?

jben
02-29-2012, 4:53 PM
As far as you know...everything is in the safe(s):43:

ubet
02-29-2012, 5:51 PM
You arent going to get an honest answer. It would be to easy for a techy to back trace to see who the poster is, then find his/her address and steal said guns if not in a safe.

Ubermcoupe
02-29-2012, 5:54 PM
Guns, yes. Ammo - no.

I would need a safe the size of a bedroom for all the ammo.

And the way I keep buying guns, I already need a bigger safe. :43:

chim-chim7
02-29-2012, 6:04 PM
When I am home a defensive gun comes out. When I leave all guns go in safe. Nothing like coming home to a burglar who found your gun laying out and uses it against you.

Oceanbob
02-29-2012, 6:30 PM
2 large safes, one tall lock box. Rarely do I store Ammo in the safes. Perhaps a few magazines and a box of some rare exotic stuff I might have hoarded..hahah.

One safe I lost the combination to for 7 years. Seriously, I couldn't remember exactly WHAT was in it. Too busy to do anything about it. Going thru a box in the garage one day I found the COMBO....worked out fine.

My opinion for todays world: Your 4th GUN should be a safe. Get the largest safe you can afford because eventually you will need another one. :cool2:

Be well, Bob

bohoki
02-29-2012, 6:37 PM
i got a costco cannon but i only keep my guns and mags inside no ammo

Sutcliffe
02-29-2012, 6:41 PM
Had it for over twenty years. Should have got the twelve gun version. I have to store my extra's at my best friend's or my brother's.

chim-chim7
02-29-2012, 7:04 PM
IMO if a gun owner leaves his guns out when he owns a safe that is extremely irresponsible. There have been a few threads lately where homes have been hit with theft. The guns that were stolen were the ones not in the safe. Leaving out guns for criminals as presents is what makes a irresponsible gun owner. Lock them up. If you don't have a safe you had better find a good hiding spot. Usually a hidden crawl space.

JeremyKX
02-29-2012, 7:07 PM
On the topic of safes, Does anyone know of any decent safes for cheap? For a couple of rifles and a handgun or two.

Cnynrat
02-29-2012, 7:13 PM
Guns are in a safe, several in quick access varieties.

I don't have room to keep all my ammo in a safe.

craneman
02-29-2012, 7:35 PM
You arent going to get an honest answer. It would be to easy for a techy to back trace to see who the poster is, then find his/her address and steal said guns if not in a safe.

I'll give you an honest answer. Mine are in a safe. Not a gun safe, not a gun cabinet, but a big safe designed for banks and jewelers with a UL TL15 and fire rating. 2500lbs and bolted to the concrete floor. Positioned to not have good access to the door with large tools. Even a little surprise in store if someone thinks cutting it open would be a good idea. With a little bit of searching on CL they can be had for a fraction of what a new one would cost. I paid $500 and I had to transport it. I am in a position where I was able to move it myself, so that cost was next to nothing. There are companies that will move them for a few hundred dollars if you are local to them and purchase location. You would still be cheaper than a comparable sized safe from a box store, and it is a lot better quality. Its not as pretty and its not new, but it will do a better job.

With the house alarm and dogs here, there are easier targets I'm sure.

Bikertrash
02-29-2012, 7:38 PM
The only gun I have that is not in the safe is my. 38 snubby that goes to work with me everyday. I leave that in my work bag. I couldnt afford a safe big enough for my ammo. In fact my truck is only a half ton, so I might have to make a couple trips if I transported it somewhere.

Flintlock Tom
02-29-2012, 7:47 PM
Not enough options on your poll. The question is: "Do you have a safe?" But none of the options is: Yes.
Yes, I have a safe, but, no, not all of my guns are in it. Your poll has no correct answer for me. So, what information are you REALLY trying to get?

ShootinMedic
02-29-2012, 8:00 PM
I got rid of mine as there wasn't any need for it after my tragic boating accident.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

seanschevy
02-29-2012, 8:04 PM
I only own two guns, a good safe would probably cost me almost or as much as the guns are worth.

No safe for me, if they are stolen I can replace them for the cost of the safe.

Steve-O
02-29-2012, 8:50 PM
Be responsible, get a safe. It is worth the piece of mind.

MudCamper
02-29-2012, 9:00 PM
Your poll doesn't have enough choices. Most of my guns are in a safe. Some are not. Once you start growing your collection, you'll realize that not having a safe is unwise.

CaliforniaLiberal
03-01-2012, 12:36 AM
2 large safes, one tall lock box. Rarely do I store Ammo in the safes. Perhaps a few magazines and a box of some rare exotic stuff I might have hoarded..hahah.

One safe I lost the combination to for 7 years. Seriously, I couldn't remember exactly WHAT was in it. Too busy to do anything about it. Going thru a box in the garage one day I found the COMBO....worked out fine.

My opinion for todays world: Your 4th GUN should be a safe. Get the largest safe you can afford because eventually you will need another one. :cool2:

Be well, Bob

That's like a time capsule! What did you find? Did anything rust?

CaliforniaLiberal
03-01-2012, 12:38 AM
I only own two guns, a good safe would probably cost me almost or as much as the guns are worth.

What about your responsibility to keep your guns out of the hands of thieves and criminals? How would you feel if one of your guns was stolen and used for murder?

Bobby Ricigliano
03-01-2012, 2:08 AM
Big safe downstairs. Smaller one upstairs. Almost always someone home. Everybody is proficient with firearms. Good alarm. Mean dogs. Watchful neighbors. Good luck.

xoutxkastx
03-01-2012, 2:11 AM

If not a safe then at least a locking cabinet. Turners had a stack on for $100

Bert Gamble
03-01-2012, 2:24 AM
All guns and some ammo in the safe. the rest of the ammo is in a lockable cabinet.

760knox
03-01-2012, 3:00 AM
It's a part of being a responsible gun owner, buy a safe. There was a thread about this recently I think.

Curley Red
03-01-2012, 8:54 AM
If I ain't carrying a firearm on me then it is in the safe along with all my ammo.

theduece
03-01-2012, 9:34 AM
As far as you know...everything is in the safe(s):43:

LOL

Guns, yes. Ammo - no.

Not quite to the point with ammo that it would be that large....yet.

But yes if I keep buying I'm going to have to get another....soon.

When I am home a defensive gun comes out. When I leave all guns go in safe.

This is actually my norm.

Be well, Bob

7YEARS????? :eek: That had to be like finding many old friends.... And here I am *****ing about 10 days...

I got rid of mine as there wasn't any need for it after my tragic boating accident.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

LMAO yes Me too

doug-y-doug
03-01-2012, 9:35 AM
Does a Stack-On count? Upstairs apartments in old buildings with hardwood floors aren't conducive to safe-owning.

Iknownot
03-01-2012, 9:44 AM
Sure a stack on counts.

I think the concept should be some method of securing firearms vs under the bed or on the top shelf in a closet.

doug-y-doug
03-01-2012, 9:57 AM
Then yes. As of a couple weeks ago, after I posted about my Berkeley apartment debacle, I am the proud owner of a Stack-On.

Gio
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
If I am not home all of my firearms are locked away along with the ammo. I usually keep my pistol on or near me when at home. I got a good deal on my safe, beats hiding them under the mattress and or random spots in the closet.

stix213
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a new 30 long gun safe getting delivered and installed on monday. You have until then to rob me of the overflow from my small safe I have now. :p

JAGACIDA
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
I've got a safe but there's no room for guns on account of all the gold I've got stored in it.

Roach_Infinity
03-01-2012, 2:55 PM
What about your responsibility to keep your guns out of the hands of thieves and criminals? How would you feel if one of your guns was stolen and used for murder?

I always lock my door when I leave the house... and I have never put up a sign saying "Come steal my guns and use them to do evil."

I always ensure my ensure that my guns are stored so that a juvenile can not access them.

How does murder, done by criminals with stolen implements in any way reflect responsibility on the owners whether or not the guns were stored in a safe? Tragedies like this are a result of a malicious act of human will, shifting blame to a well meaning home owner because the implement used to do harm was a gun, and because the gun was not stored in a safe is insane.

If someone broke into your house, stole a frying pan, and used the frying pan to beat an old lady to death would it be your fault?

Just my 2 cents I guess.

-Eric

RedFord150
03-01-2012, 4:46 PM
Guns, yes. Ammo - no. ...

I lock up the ammo in a place other than the safe, in a different room.
One gun is in a drawer safe, outside the big safe.
I think the perps will need a lot of time to cover every location they must breach and they will need power tools.

timmyb21
03-02-2012, 6:17 AM
A safe and a locking cabinet. The ammo is all stored in the garage in ammo boxes.

ckprax
03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes I store my firearms in a residential security container. I am not currently able to have a true safe for my valuables due to space requirements and load bearing capacity of my apartment. Hopefully when I own a home.

JNunez23
03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Guns, yes. Ammo - no.

I strive to be like you one day ;) lol

bsg
03-02-2012, 11:01 AM
i own, and use a safe.

desertjosh
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes...except my 12g mossy is out by the bed at all times. I've got a little girl due any day now so things will be changing soon. Oh well its about time for the XD to see some HD action anyways.

TROYSD
03-02-2012, 12:20 PM
bought a safe the day after my truck got stolen out of my driveway. and i live in a town pop is 650

Fjold
03-02-2012, 2:58 PM
I have a large safe in the gunroom and a couple of small pistol safes in strategic locations.

My ammo is in a cabinet in the gunroom or in crates in the garage.

cbaer5
03-02-2012, 3:15 PM
Ill be honest I have a small safe and it's no where big enough for my stuff. so some things are left out. my biggest problem is currently I live in an upstairs 25+ unit apartment complex so (A) a bigger safe I dont think I could get it up stairs and (B) if i were to get it up stairs I dont think I could do so without others noticing it. (witch i think might be just inviting people to break in)

But on the other hand I live in a 25+ unit complex witch is in a decent part of town. I dont think I need to worry that much about a break in since I dont advertise that I have guns.

CEDaytonaRydr
03-02-2012, 3:20 PM
Just to clarify, I have a safe, but I also keep some stuff, readily accessible...

rg_1111@yahoo.com
03-03-2012, 2:24 AM
I only have one safe now. No kids. I keep one gun out.

oldsmoboat
03-03-2012, 8:45 AM
You poll doesn't have enough answers.
I have a safe. Not all guns are in the safe unless the grand kids come over.

Bad Voodoo
03-03-2012, 9:39 AM
I have a kid. 'Nuff said.

daveinwoodland
03-03-2012, 9:43 AM
Both guns and ammo in safe.

drdanno84
03-04-2012, 9:39 AM

West coast
03-04-2012, 7:06 PM
All guns in the safe... Some Ammo in the closet.

chris
03-04-2012, 7:49 PM

and what makes you think that you would leave said address not laid out in a gurny with a white sheet covering your dead body?:rolleyes:

runway1
03-04-2012, 8:26 PM
Uuuuhhhh, it's CA law that you have a safe and you sign off swearing to that when you pick up your firearm. As much as I think that's not the role of government and an intrusion to my liberty - it's still what it is....for now.

So, your question may also be; Who owns a firearm and has committed fraud on a legal affidavit? Who answered "NO" to the safe question? Please move to the other list.

runway1
03-04-2012, 8:33 PM

I would suggest you explore the ideas of "IP address", "Internet tracking", "ATF internet", "Patriot Act" and maybe a few others that would have your previous statement put you in jail in certain circumstances.

runway1
03-04-2012, 8:40 PM
... and I have never put up a sign saying "Come steal my guns and use them to do evil."

-Eric

Dear God. What do you think you're doing now?...And with your name, no less! Heck, just post the google maps link - It'll save them a mouse click or two!

Just my 2 cents I guess.

-Eric

Well, you got the value correct....Eric.

03-04-2012, 8:41 PM
+1, always have something with in reach...

When I am home a defensive gun comes out. When I leave all guns go in safe. Nothing like coming home to a burglar who found your gun laying out and uses it against you.

pacifico23
03-04-2012, 8:42 PM
I don't have one cause I live in an apt and don't want to deal risking with the deposit. So all my longuns and pistols are stored in my family safe. I just keep a nightstand pistol at my place, I live alone so it sits right in my nightstand for easy access if necessarry.

CaliforniaLiberal
03-04-2012, 9:19 PM
Uuuuhhhh, it's CA law that you have a safe and you sign off swearing to that when you pick up your firearm. As much as I think that's not the role of government and an intrusion to my liberty - it's still what it is....for now.

So, your question may also be; Who owns a firearm and has committed fraud on a legal affidavit? Who answered "NO" to the safe question? Please move to the other list.

I'm thinking you may have misunderstood California Gun Law (Damned easy to do, for sure!) and are inadvertently sharing FUD with your CalGuns brothers and sisters.

Under California Law, owning a gun safe is completely optional; convenient for those gun buyers who don't want to do the gun lock thing. The gun safe affidavit allows you to avoid having to use a newly purchased gun lock (ie a DOJ-approved firearms safety device).

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist

"Effective January 1, 2002, no firearm may be sold, transferred, or manufactured within California unless that firearm is accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device (California Penal Code section 12087, et seq).

The safety device requirement does not apply to the following:

Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device.

The commerce of any firearm defined as an "antique firearm" pursuant to federal law.

The commerce of any firearm intended to be used by a salaried, full-time peace officer for law enforcement purposes.

Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe. Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations."

tankerman
03-04-2012, 9:33 PM
I have no idea why anyone would store ammo in a safe, aside from a couple of loaded guns and magazines.

aermotor
03-04-2012, 9:33 PM

Oooooooooookkkkkayyyyyyy :TFH:

jmpgnr24k
03-04-2012, 9:47 PM
I got a safe. It's cheap insurance, peace of mind from the kids. And it's always nice to just sit there and look at your guns all nicely stacked. And for sure get the biggest one you can afford. Or look foward to buying another safe when you get more guns.