PDA

View Full Version : state probation officers and RAW's?

mag360
02-29-2012, 9:13 AM
Just curious, I only know sheriff and cops from calguns that had this. Any CHP or other state agencies who are getting agency approval for Registered banned semi-automatics?

BigDogatPlay
02-29-2012, 9:43 AM
DFG guys have historically always gotten them. That agency has long had a lot of leeway for it's peace officer personnel and personally owned firearms on duty. State Parks does not give letters, issue rifles only for those specifically trained.

CHP far less so as they issue rifles to each car, pretty much, and officers have not been able to carry a personally owned sidearm on duty in ages. I'm sure there's probably been some CHP guys that have gotten a letter, but my understanding from talking to a few of them is that it is not the norm.

Probation officers are, typically, county employees. I am not aware of any state employed probation officers. If I recall correctly deputy probation officers may only carry firearms if authorized by their employing agency. That varies greatly from county to county. In my own county only the felony probation officers doing apprehensions and the PO's assigned to the gang task force are authorized use and carry of firearms.

Parole agents are state employed and are with CDCR. Don't know whether or not their employer will give a letter, but they are certainly eligible.

bwiese
02-29-2012, 10:48 AM
There is a large problem with NorCal corrections officers with unreg'd personal AWs.

It appears to be less 'brass pass' issue than bad info moving down rumor mill such that they think they are exempt from 12280.

Some fraction of these guys incorrectly think they can also use hicap mags in BB'd semiauto centerfire rifles.

Tripper
02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
There is a large problem with NorCal corrections officers with unreg'd personal AWs.

It appears to be less 'brass pass' issue than bad info moving down rumor mill such that they think they are exempt from 12280.

Some fraction of these guys incorrectly think they can also use hicap mags in BB'd semiauto centerfire rifles.

and for some odd reason
there is no way of telling them otherwise.

mag360
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I think I wrote it wrong, Parole Officer is what he is. I am aware that some Leo's have illegal configuration rifles. I know of an SBR AR-15 style that I've already been told would be ilegal to be configured in that fashion for a personal rifle. In this case, I was shown a picture and saw the 30rd mags which would be legal to buy as a parole officer. But was the rifle an RAW?

I was told by our mutual acquantance he needed to wait 30 days but it would have been less wait with direct supervisor approval? He got it from a sacramento area store. I have no intention whatsoever of trying to get someone in trouble, I was asking him "are you sure it is an RAW?" and got the response "of course it's legal for him to own it, he said so, he carries a gun for his work, he said he didn't have to use the 10rders like you, he doesn't have a bullet button, he's a parole officer"...

in the end, even if someone see's him with it "are you LEO, yes, heres my badge". It's end of story, they are leaving him alone regardless. I think only on a separate issue would a DA even look up to see if the rifle they got was unregg'd (ala Haack).

mag360
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
sorry for spelling punctuation and grammar, on the mobile.

BigDogatPlay
02-29-2012, 1:26 PM
I think I wrote it wrong, Parole Officer is what he is. I am aware that some Leo's have illegal configuration rifles. I know of an SBR AR-15 style that I've already been told would be ilegal to be configured in that fashion for a personal rifle. In this case, I was shown a picture and saw the 30rd mags which would be legal to buy as a parole officer. But was the rifle an RAW?

I was told by our mutual acquantance he needed to wait 30 days but it would have been less wait with direct supervisor approval? He got it from a sacramento area store. I have no intention whatsoever of trying to get someone in trouble, I was asking him "are you sure it is an RAW?" and got the response "of course it's legal for him to own it, he said so, he carries a gun for his work, he said he didn't have to use the 10rders like you, he doesn't have a bullet button, he's a parole officer"...

in the end, even if someone see's him with it "are you LEO, yes, heres my badge". It's end of story, they are leaving him alone regardless. I think only on a separate issue would a DA even look up to see if the rifle they got was unregg'd (ala Haack).

SBR and SBS cannot be personally owned, unless of course they were owned and papered by the LEO prior to AWCA, which would be pretty rare, I think. They pretty much have to be government owned / agency issued. I'd not be that surprised at all if a Parole Agent was issued was issued an SBR and / or an SBS. Claiming personal ownership would be, I think, a very large problem for them.

A number of agencies have had issues with employees or contractors having illegal personal possession of Class 3 weapons in the past few years. The City of Rohnert Park is one example that actually made the press. LEOs who think they are wholly immune from AWCA and SBS / SBR laws are playing with fire. They can / will lose their career in a heartbeat if their actions get exposed and their employer embarrassed by that exposure.

mag360
02-29-2012, 9:36 PM
assuming he has agency approval can the RAW be bought from any FFL and maybe turned into what would be an assault weapon by the officer, or does it have to be an FFL with an assault weapons permit?

bwiese
03-01-2012, 2:50 PM
assuming he has agency approval can the RAW be bought from any FFL and maybe turned into what would be an assault weapon by the officer, or does it have to be an FFL with an assault weapons permit?

The DOJ does NOT like people taking OLLs and then LEO RAWing them.

This may actually have been an attempt to dig into OLL sales.

However, there's no legal/regulatory support backing DOJ's stance.

If an LEO has an OLL that he wants to make into an LEO RAW gun, then for best results [i.e., least grief] should have that gun run thru a CA FFL w/AW permit (and that gun may have to bounce outside CA and come back in without a BB straight to the FFL w/AW permit)

mag360
03-01-2012, 3:14 PM
is sacramento black rifle an ffl w/ an aw permit?