PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Stocks

Psykoasn
02-29-2012, 7:39 AM
What kind of stock does everyone use on there AR?

I'm putting together my first AR, and want to keep it CA legal length wise, I'm getting a 16" complete upper, so that leaves me with 14" to get to the minimum of 30", all the stocks I've been looking into have been the adjustable stocks, but going by the specs for them they go from around 10" to 14", i saw the stag A2, but i don't like the way that stock looks, any suggestions?

thanks in advance

msand951
02-29-2012, 7:42 AM
Take a look at these setups and see what you like.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7277296#post7277296

dlewis7
02-29-2012, 7:46 AM
This is the stock I use.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7064021

Im a big fan of how it rests against your shoulder properly. You can adjust the pad up/down to position it perfectly. You can also turn these into fixed stocks if you're going featureless.

Psykoasn
02-29-2012, 7:58 AM
thanks,
i like the way the Magpul MOE carbine or the Stag tactical stock looks, is there a fixed version of that style of stock? it's just the collapsible part that worry's me, in the shorted configuration, the OAL will be less then 30"

Chuck67
02-29-2012, 8:02 AM
Im running a Magpul STR and it's very comfortable with a excellent cheek weld.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/rocafella1524/photo-21.jpg

ChrisO
02-29-2012, 8:10 AM
I'm a fan of a few stocks in order of preference.
LMT SOPMOD
VLOT EMOD
Old school CAR stock

Sicarius
02-29-2012, 8:18 AM
Vltor emod for the carbines. PRS on precision rifles. A2 for standard 20 inch A2(no bells and whistles). Honestly looking back, as cool as some of the stocks look, compartments, spiffy features... they really can't justify the cost. Would I spend the extra money on the PRS for my precision rifle again? no. I hardly use the adustments because the A2 fits me well. Do I use the compartments on the emod? nope. The cheek weld is really nice but not 200 dollars nice for the whole stock kit. Magpul MOE is nice, simple and fairly inexpensive. I will probably go that route if I ever build another ar...
Kevin

Arkangel
02-29-2012, 8:36 AM
I run a Magpul CTR, many people use collapsible stocks and still meet the 30" OAL requirement.

IIRC my 16" middy is 31.5" with the stock fully collapsed, so you should be good to go with almost any collapsible stock out there.

triggs75
02-29-2012, 9:20 AM
I have a UBR, CTR, Moe and a EMOD currently.

For my next 16" Dissy build I am leaning towards another EMOD. The Emod is only 1/2" longer then the CTR when the CTR has the Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad on it and the EMOD, to me, has a much better check weld then the CTR. I have not tried the new Magul STR yet.

RuggedJay
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
What kind of stock does everyone use on there AR?

I'm putting together my first AR, and want to keep it CA legal length wise, I'm getting a 16" complete upper, so that leaves me with 14" to get to the minimum of 30", all the stocks I've been looking into have been the adjustable stocks, but going by the specs for them they go from around 10" to 14", i saw the stag A2, but i don't like the way that stock looks, any suggestions?

thanks in advance

16" upper means the barrel is 16" But there is still the rest of the reciever which adds more length to the upper.

clutchy
02-29-2012, 10:44 AM
If you have a 16" barrel it's going to be nearly impossible to find a stock that will get you under 30" OAL

in fact i don't think you even can b/c of the length of the buffer tube.

magpul anything
LMT SOPMOD
VLTOR IMOD
TROY stocks

they're all good and better than a stock stock.

Psykoasn
02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
16" upper means the barrel is 16" But there is still the rest of the reciever which adds more length to the upper.

If you have a 16" barrel it's going to be nearly impossible to find a stock that will get you under 30" OAL

in fact i don't think you even can b/c of the length of the buffer tube.

magpul anything
LMT SOPMOD
VLTOR IMOD
TROY stocks

they're all good and better than a stock stock.

OK i got it now, thanks guys, i had a brain fart and thought 16" meant from the muzzle to the charging bolt area

BobbyZ
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Check out the Mako group. I like their GShock Stock. I think that's the name of it. I personally like a good cheek rest most of all.

Crowesnest
02-29-2012, 3:05 PM
MAGPUL STR

joshxcuh1
02-29-2012, 3:07 PM
magpul ctr / vltor emod

baih777
02-29-2012, 4:07 PM
dont go to turners for magpul.
riflegear has the best price local. i have the ACS , PRS. i also have the MOE version. its a little loose on the buffer tube. the CTR has an added lever to take out the lose feeling. the STR looks good too. for the magpul you can get a thicker recoil pad also.
i also have the no name 6 position stock. these are a little loose also .
also make sure which ever stock you get, you get the correct buffer tube.
mil-spec vs commerical.

AeroEngi
02-29-2012, 4:10 PM
I'm running a VLTOR IMOD on my carbine and I like it a lot.

jasonnorcal
02-29-2012, 6:57 PM
I have an LMT SOPMOD and it's nice but a little heavy and it's a really tight fit on the receiver extension ( no rattle) I have a Magpul MOE on my other rifle and though it does rattle a tiny bit I still like it alot.
I'll probably go with with a Magpul CTR on my next rifle or maybe a Vltor EMOD to replace my SOPMOD for better prone shooting.