PDA

View Full Version : this should make my saiga legal in CA, correct?

jhutchens
02-29-2012, 7:30 AM
I moved down here from Oregon and I want to bring down my converted Saiga rifle. It is an off list Saiga so I don't have to worry about it being specifically named as an assault weapon. The only "evil features" it has right now are a pistol grip and folding stock. If I were to put a grip wrap on the pistol grip and pin the stock in place it will be in a featureless configuration and legal to own (and drop magazines without a bullet button!), correct? Am I missing anything?

Can I simply drill a hold in the stock and lock it in place with a nut and bolt or do I need something more? It is my understanding that it should require a tool to undo.

I appreciate any input I can get. Thanks guys.

SanPedroShooter
02-29-2012, 7:36 AM
Yeah, but if you are coming from out of state, I am going to assume you didnt possess any high caps, so you will be limited to dropping ten rounders.

Just clearing that up. I have heard people conflate featureless with an automatic abilty to use high caps, regardless of possesion status.

I am not sure the permancy req's for something like a pinned stock.

Welcome to California, and in Gods name why? I moved here from Medford, and I wouldnt have if I knew better. ;)

Of course I moved to follow a job, and I grew up here, but I think I would have been better served spending a few months a year in LA and flying back to my wife.

die2surf
02-29-2012, 7:58 AM
Please disregard my post below. I thought he was talking Saiga-12 shotgun (I missed where the OP stated "rifle"). My error.
Saiga's are semi-auto that can accept a detachable magazine. You still need a BB in CA, even if featureless.
See the flowchart above:http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding PC section 12276, assault weapon shall also mean the following:
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
>>(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
>>(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

duane_black
02-29-2012, 8:10 AM
Saiga's are semi-auto that can accept a detachable magazine. You still need a BB in CA. See the flowchart above.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding PC section 12276, assault weapon shall also mean the following:
>>(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

I " think " he is talking about the centerfire rifle , not shotgun.

ETA

Welcome to California !

dk94044
02-29-2012, 8:12 AM
he didn't say saiga 12, I'm guessing it's a 7.62 or 223, then no BB is needed if he pins the folding stock. You can't have the thumb space between the pistol grip and stock, you can use the grip tape to make a triangle to cover the area is correct.

jhutchens
02-29-2012, 8:13 AM
Its a saiga in 7.62x39, not a shotgun.

I know about the high capacity magazines... those will have to stay up in Oregon with family.

My biggest concern was the pinned stock. Does anyone have experience doing this? I will probably have better luck searching the forum when I can get on my computer instead of my phone.

I moved down here because I went to school at UCLA and met a great girl... oh the things we do for our women!

die2surf
02-29-2012, 8:19 AM
I missed the "rifle". Please disregard my comments.

sd_shooter
02-29-2012, 9:16 AM
Saiga's are semi-auto that can accept a detachable magazine. You still need a BB in CA, even if featureless.
See the flowchart above:http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

FUD. The whole point of going featureless is to avoid the BB.

SanPedroShooter
02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Its a saiga in 7.62x39, not a shotgun.

I know about the high capacity magazines... those will have to stay up in Oregon with family.

My biggest concern was the pinned stock. Does anyone have experience doing this? I will probably have better luck searching the forum when I can get on my computer instead of my phone.

I moved down here because I went to school at UCLA and met a great girl... oh the things we do for our women!

Congratulations.

Many people do this. Ask in the centerfire rifle section, or just google search it. I guarantee this has been covered very thouroughly, and at length.

Heres one on a permanant pin, with pictures, but I dont think you need to go that far even.
http://nyshooters.net/forum/showthread.php?351-Permanently-pinning-a-collapsible-stock

THE SOURCE:
Calguns wiki page on 'stock options'. Most of it deals with alternatives, the relevant portion says, "It is also common to see featureless rifles with what appear to be adjustable or telescoping stocks. These must be pinned or otherwise fixed in place so that they cannot adjust."

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Options_for_detachable_magazines#Rules_for_detacha ble_magazines