View Full Version : AK74 Plum Parts Kit on the Way!

02-29-2012, 6:13 AM
My first AK! I am high as a freaking kite in excitement right now! The barrel has already been installed and headspaced. It will be a screw build kit once I get my AK-Builder flat bent, heat-treated and reamed!

Sorry, just had to voice my excitement on the boards! :D

02-29-2012, 7:31 AM
ALRIGHT!!!!actually I am thinking about doing a build but dont have the confidence or the money to start it now. And posts like these give me courage to consider building my own AK.thanks for sharing your excitement which go me excited lol.

02-29-2012, 7:44 AM
Enjoy brother!

02-29-2012, 7:45 AM

Please consider a real rivet build. It's easy to modify a Harbor Freight bolt cutter to create a rivet smasher tool. $10 when on sale.

02-29-2012, 9:32 AM
Nice! Just as sd shooter stated, go with rivets instead. There is a build party in the Bay Area next weekend, I think it is being held by chiz. Look him up and attend the build party and build your ak right :)

02-29-2012, 9:53 AM
I won't be here that weekend. :(

02-29-2012, 9:58 AM
There will be more build parties in the Bay Area. The major drawback to screw builds is egging the trunnions. I would seriously consider building it the right way especially since your barrel is already headspaced and ready to go.

02-29-2012, 10:20 AM
i am also considering a screw build.. where did u get you kit?

02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

02-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Only if ak builder had the 74 builds in stock when I was ordering, even if I can't shoot it at many local ranges, It would be nice to look at.

But then that gives me an excuse for another build hehe. 47 to AR to 74 to 1911 is the build goal :D

02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Congrats! I really do encourage a rivet build though. There are enough calgunners with the proper tools, there's bound to be someone near you willing to help.

02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Dont listen to the screw build nay sayers!i have over 1300 rounds through mine and it is still shooting great. Just make sure u use JB weld (no loc-tite) & prep the thread on both the screws and the theaded trunnion holes. Another thing...dont use assembly lube just anti sieze on the barrel when assembling. If u use any type of lube it will get into the jb weld when it gets hot from shooting and losen the bond and u will have to re do the JB weld process. Good luck and enjoy!!!

This guy also thought screws would be secure:

Just kidding, all in good fun :D

02-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I've built my fair share and have about 7 kits sitting here rite now, I telk you this a rivet build is going to be your best bet!
Guy above brags about 1300 rounds in his screw build, but I tell you this, I have over 13,000 round thru my bulgarian ak74 and 40% of that is bump firing and mag dumps, my polish 81 kit has a tad over 5000 in 3 months thru it, my amd65 just hit over 7k rounds, ive never done a screw build but I do have many ak's and all have rivets and all stand uo great to SERIOUS shooting!
Please do rivets!
heres some oics of a couple builds

02-29-2012, 4:42 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. My argument against screw builds isn't safety/longevity based.....it's aesthetic. IMO Screw builds look like sh*t. Not to mention tapping all the holes takes longer than setting rivets on two rifles.

02-29-2012, 7:49 PM
WELD IT!!!! I think the plum AK74s are the best looking aks of all time. Also a joy to shoot as long as you have somewhere to shoot all that cheap surplus.

03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Just as a warning to you. I was cleaning my 74 today, after shooting it on tuesday, and it looked like i just pulled it out of a swamp. I shoot corrosive ammo all the time, most of my rifles are c&r, and i never do anything special just clean them like i always do. I have never had a problem with rust. but that surplus 5.45 must be "super corrosive", as well as super cheap. Good ammo, just make sure you jump on the cleaning right away. I see using lots of water to clean that pig in the future.