PDA

View Full Version : How to order a rifle online

SFgiants105
02-28-2012, 11:15 PM
So I've been looking for a .308 semi-auto and it seems that any decent rifle has to be custom ordered. The best deals I have found have been online, however I have never ordered a gun online and am wary of these sites that have a really good deal.

Here is one:
http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/model-p308-regulated-piston-recon-rifle-r308-fluted-semi-auto-fixed-stock-wmod-railed-rcvr-p-33607.html

That site, hinterland outfitters, is under POF's list of FFLs.
http://www.pof-usa.com/ffl/texas.htm
Does that mean for sure that it is legitimate (I think so)?

Also, I found a cool gun on gunbroker, and it is in California (so cal, unfortunately). Does that mean I have to pay tax on it if it's shipped to an FFL, on account of the new tax collection policy? I don't think so, since it seems to pertain to out of state orders. Any ideas on this?

Also, if I order from a site that is unwilling to install a bullet-button, could it be shipped into CA if they simply disassemble the mag catch (so that it doesn't hold a mag at all; assuming that they would do this for me)?

This is all so complicated. Why does the gun I want have to have a 20 week lead time? So lame :(

HermanH
02-29-2012, 5:26 AM
20 weeks? Are you serious?
I would imagine that if it were to ship to a broker that "could" disassemble the mag catch, why not simply have them install a bullet button, and pay for a $19 BB?

Good luck either way. But 20 weeks.....?

SFgiants105
02-29-2012, 11:42 PM
20 weeks? Are you serious?
I would imagine that if it were to ship to a broker that "could" disassemble the mag catch, why not simply have them install a bullet button, and pay for a $19 BB?

Good luck either way. But 20 weeks.....?

If I'm not mistaken, the gun has to be CA compliant before it comes into the state.

I have only heard this from the one FFL I contacted about shipping the gun, but it doesn't make sense to me. If FFLs are allowed to keep guns for LEOs and Class 3 guns and whatnot, and considering that the DROS doesn't even start until I come in person to start the process, I don't see why an FFL couldn't just install a BB when they get the gun.

Any FFLs/friends-of that can school me on this matter?

Atlantaboi2012
04-25-2012, 10:41 PM
EBR Works in Thousand Oaks can SSE it for you before u take possession of it or he may even be able to get it for u

TheHammerOfTruth
04-25-2012, 11:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the gun has to be CA compliant before it comes into the state.

I have only heard this from the one FFL I contacted about shipping the gun, but it doesn't make sense to me. If FFLs are allowed to keep guns for LEOs and Class 3 guns and whatnot, and considering that the DROS doesn't even start until I come in person to start the process, I don't see why an FFL couldn't just install a BB when they get the gun.

Any FFLs/friends-of that can school me on this matter?

Unless the dealer has a CA Aassault Weapons Permit the gun must arrive in a CA compliant configuration. FFL's are not just allowed to sell AW's to law enforcement because they want to. They must have the permit.