PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense regular vs. lightweight.

BlueSun
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Anyone with experience with these have an opinion? Is it a matter of preference or is there a noticeable performance/quality issue aside from the weight itself?

problemchild
02-29-2012, 6:11 AM
Got the light for the wife.

Cons:
Gets HOT fast (like 15 bullets and its really hot).
Not the greatest accuracy. 1.5" avg with wife shooting
Did I mention it gets hot fast?

Pros:
Light

BlueSun
03-01-2012, 9:41 PM
I'm assuming then the regular barrel doesn't have an overheating issue?

SIGSHOOTR
03-01-2012, 9:58 PM
What do you plan to do with the rifle? Are you going to take it to the range and put it on a bench-- with the occasional shooting unsupported, off the shoulder-- then it really doesn't matter. If you plan to run the gun hard in tactical courses where you'll will be carrying the gun on a sling all day carrying ammo a secondary on a chest rig; constantly bringing it up to shoot from low-high ready and doing movement drills-- then getting a LW barrel might be a better option (believe me, you will appreciate even shaving off ounces from your kit). I run a DD 16" carbine with a CHF M4 profile barrel-- 6,600 rounds through it-- range trips and numerous courses. No worries and accurate as hell. And yes, the "regular" barrel gets hot too-- in fact, ALL barrels get hot. I have a Centurion Arms 14.5" middy with a LW CHF barrel-- over 2,000 rounds through it now- range trips and one tactical carbine course where I went through 1,200 rounds--often shooting rapid fire such as hammer/failure drills. I've heard or read about LW barrels "failing"-- but only on the internet. I personally-- and the guys I shoot with-- have had no problems whatsoever with LW barrels. As for accuracy, I didn't see any noticeable difference-- again, not sure what you're going for-- but my intended purpose for these guns is as a CQB tool. I plan on using these guns from 100 meters in-- I don't need to be hitting sub-MOA, just effective center mass. With a good quality barrel-- and since you're considering DD, you're getting the best barrel in the biz IMO-- I wouldn't be too concerned about regular vs. lightweight barrel as a civvie/sport shooter-- get what feels good to you. I guarantee you will never shoot so many rounds during your shooting lifetime where you will overheat a LW barrel. Lastly, FWIW-- I found the LW barrel on my 14.5" to handle quicker than my 16" carbine. I know the extra inch or so doesn't seem like a huge deal-- but when we were doing room clearing drills, the shorter/lighter gun seemed to me easier to drive. Plus, my support arm wasn't burning from holding up a heavier/longer barrel. YMMV.

BlueSun
03-02-2012, 6:36 PM
Yes I plan on taking courses with it and becoming proficient in its use for tactical purposes. Thank you for your input.

Hoop
03-02-2012, 7:20 PM
I would get the midlength regular/medium whatever as they seem to be a bit more accurate than most other carbine barrels out there.

BlueSun
03-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Yup. I plan on midlength. Since some of you have the rifle, in your experience, whats the best ammo for it?

ScottsBad
03-05-2012, 2:16 PM
The light weight barrel may or may not have the same accuracy. Yes, they heat up faster, BUT they also cool down faster. It really is nice to have a light rifle. But the heavier barrel may give more accuracy.

I have both and I enjoy shooting my light rifles more when off the bench.

HK Dave
03-05-2012, 2:18 PM
If you are asking... then the answer is... it does not matter. Go with the one you can get for cheaper and have fun shooting the heck out of it. :)