PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Button Tool

Thompson-
02-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Would it be illegal to make and use gloves that have a small piece of metal into the index finger of the glove to remove mags from my AR?

kaligaran
02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
http://www.bulletbuttontool.com/

Some companies are way ahead of ya. :)

Calplinker
02-29-2012, 7:24 AM
No, its is not illegal as long as the "tool" is never fixed to the rifle. The link above for the BB tool is exactly what I just bought.

Recently took a carbine class and over half of the students had either removed their bullet button or stuck on some attachment (magnetic, etc.) that made it operate like a normal mag release. It was private land, but still not something I want to do myself. Couple of folks had RAW's, but most did not. Ugh.

Having one of these finger stylus things makes mag releases much faster than having to fumbe in your pocket for a bullet or other tool, particularly if you are running drills, 3 gun, etc.

BlindRacer
02-29-2012, 8:11 AM
Hold on! I seriously doubt that it would be legal!

By doing this, you would be making your finger the tool, which it can not be. This would be serious DA bate. I would expect a DA to prosecute and win with something like this. It makes it so that there is in essence, no tool required.

I could be wrong, but I definitely would not be willing to try it out.

The Tiger
02-29-2012, 8:30 AM

By doing this, you would be making your finger the tool, which it can not be. This would be serious DA bate. I would expect a DA to prosecute and win with something like this. It makes it so that there is in essence, no tool required.

I disagree. The manner in which a tool is held is not specified. If the tool is held between 2 fingers or is held by 1, the tip shouldn't matter. The key point is it held and not attached to the gun.

BlindRacer
02-29-2012, 8:50 AM
I disagree. The manner in which a tool is held is not specified. If the tool is held between 2 fingers or is held by 1, the tip shouldn't matter. The key point is it held and not attached to the gun.

Like I said, I could very well be wrong.

However, the way I see it, nothing in the PC states that it can not be attached to the gun. That is just how...CADOJ I think, interpreted it. I would see the same thing about being attached to the finger. It nearly negates the locking mechanism, because with a push of the button, by your finger, the mag will drop. I would definitely not go there. Maybe it is legal, maybe it isn't, but I could see it definitely getting people into lots of hot water, with lots of legal bills before it's all said and done. Maybe you won't ultimately be in prison or loose your rights, but say bye bye to 5-10k or more.

I'll just wait for someone else with more knowledge to chime in. But either way, I still wouldn't take the risk.

The Tiger
02-29-2012, 8:54 AM
I hear your point. But if it were attached it would nolonger be a "tool" it would ne part of the gun, no?

BlindRacer
02-29-2012, 9:19 AM
I hear your point. But if it were attached it would nolonger be a "tool" it would ne part of the gun, no?

That's what I'm talking about.

If it's attached to the gun, it's part of the gun. If it's attached to the finger, then it's part of the finger.

Either way, in their eyes, it negates the locking mechanism, and turns it into an AW.

The PC doesn't specifically state anything about the tool being attached to the gun, and also attached to the finger. But being attached to the gun has been ruled on, so we have that part of it. The same line of thinking that they used to come up with that ruling, would be the same line that they'd use about the glove-tool.

caboom
02-29-2012, 9:59 AM
No, its is not illegal as long as the "tool" is never fixed to the rifle. The link above for the BB tool is exactly what I just bought.

Having one of these finger stylus things makes mag releases much faster than having to fumbe in your pocket for a bullet or other tool, particularly if you are running drills, 3 gun, etc.

Not sure posting the deleted part of your post is a good idea. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :TFH:

Librarian
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM

You seem to have left off your sarcasm smily.

The issue is not that one can use one's finger, it is that a tool is required.