PDA

View Full Version : Smith and Wesson M&P 15 sport

cjh
02-28-2012, 8:02 PM
I am pretty convinced i want to buy this AR very soon. What are every ones opinions when it comes to this particular rifle? It is cheap in price and that is what is attracting me the most. I plan on shooting it in the desert and at the range not to drastic.

If you could let me know any information you have to offer that would be great! Thank you! Especially if you have experience or own one yourself.

dieselpower
02-28-2012, 8:23 PM
That model doesn't have an Ejection port door or a Forward Assist button. Its up to you if those are things you want. They are not totally needed, but there is reasons for them on rifles.

For years I ran with a plug where my FA was to be. In those years I never had an issue or need to use one. I got an FA in a trade last year, so I removed the plug and installed the FA...I still haven't had to use it. The Sport doesn't have the hole for it at all.

The Door is nice when using the rifle in a sandy place...but again its not water tight nor is there anything major going to get past the BCG when the door isn't closed. The Sport doesn't have the Door hinge pin support ears, so you can't mount a door.

All M&P15s come with a new special treatment to the barrel. Melonite QPQ. Its akin to the treatment Glock uses. Its better than chrome lining and protects the barrel from corrosion. The only other manufacturer I know to use this is CMMG. They call it WASP. Others do use it but I have no informaton on what level or type they use, so I can not comment on it.

If you are budget minded, look into a New Frontier Armory Polymer Lower and a BCM/LMT/DD/Stag/CMMG/DTi upper.

cannon
02-28-2012, 9:05 PM
I think they are a great bargain for the money.

My friends that have them are impressed with the function and have not had problems with them.

I have never used the forward assists on my ARs so the lack of one on the S&W is not an issue for me.

ChaneRZ
02-29-2012, 1:03 AM
I own one and it is very accurate and reliable!

cjh
02-29-2012, 7:53 PM
Thank you guys for the help! Although ARs look sweet with them, I am not super concerned with the lacking dust cover and forward assist.

ChaneRZ: Do you have any other words of advice or guidance?

Bobby Ricigliano
03-01-2012, 3:21 AM
Great rifle. Buy it and shoot it. It is an entry level value rifle that is all the AR you need. I've seen some people spend as much on the accessories as they did on the rifle. Silly.

Zartan
03-01-2012, 7:12 AM
Love mine. Link in my siggy.

PS- $725 OTD

MXRider
03-01-2012, 7:24 AM
I have given serious thought to picking up one of these as well. I already have an LMT and a BCM, but this would be handy to let others use on range outings and for plinking in general.

Having said that, if I could only have one AR, this would not be it.

YMMV

Jack L
03-01-2012, 7:50 AM
Whatch this regarding the M&P AR15 Sport;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwXhm45x3WM&feature=relmfu

CALI SHOT DOC
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I pick up mine on the 4th. For me having a dust cover or forward assist isn't a huge deal for me. I don't plan on crawling through sand/mud/dirt anytime soon with it so there isn't much of a need for a dust cover. The originals didn't even have a forward assist. It was later added. Look at the bolt and you will see an indentation, that was designed as your forward assist in the original design.

it's a solid gun with good warranty. GET IT!!!!!

cjh
03-01-2012, 2:58 PM
I'm not planning on kicking mud, dirt, or sand in mine either. I'm excited to get it. How much did you recently pay for it?

Jack L
03-01-2012, 3:26 PM
Bottom line in my mind.............if you use an AR for work as security, a LEO, or in the military, get the full Monty Colt or whatever.. But for fun around the ranch or range and/or popping off a couple of coyotes, the Sport will work excellent. $650 to $699 in most shops.

CALI SHOT DOC
03-01-2012, 3:28 PM
I'm not planning on kicking mud, dirt, or sand in mine either. I'm excited to get it. How much did you recently pay for it?

it was $599 plus dros and tax. then picked up a case of pmc 223 for 6.99 a box. i will probably pick up a 10/20 or 10/30 pmag so i can have an extra mag.

cjh
03-01-2012, 11:42 PM
it was $599 plus dros and tax. then picked up a case of pmc 223 for 6.99 a box. i will probably pick up a 10/20 or 10/30 pmag so i can have an extra mag.

where did you purchase yours?

CALI SHOT DOC
03-02-2012, 4:33 PM
where did you purchase yours?

guns and fishing in vacavile

cjh
03-08-2012, 9:32 AM
All said and done! Just the 10 day wait now...

pontiacpratt
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
1/8" twist and 5r rifling is a nice plus too.

dieselpower
03-08-2012, 7:14 PM
All said and done! Just the 10 day wait now...

you have 10 days to buy a camera....

:useless:

cjh
03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Will do! Anyone know where I can get cheap mags?

jtkkz
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
www.mparms.com have good pricing on mags

cjh
03-15-2012, 2:02 PM
Thank you. I really like the 10/20 pmags but can't find them for cheaper then $20.