View Full Version : uf i swap magazines does it make it legal?

02-28-2012, 5:18 PM
This one is long so bear with me and my bad wording. If I want a gun and the only difference between 2 models is the mag size, can the mags be removed and the gun be purchased. Like if model 1 has 15 round 9mm clips and they are removed completely can it be FFL'd as model b 10 round mags? On the flipside if you swap mags( take out 15 rounds put in 10) is it model 2 now? Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

02-28-2012, 5:28 PM
It's possible that a manufacturer would have two different packages of the same gun, one for CA laws, and one for sensible places.

Removable box magazine capacities do not change the essential character of a gun; it's on the Roster or it is not.

Example: a Glock 21 is on the Roster. I cannot buy the 13-round magazines, because I am not exempt from the magazine law. But I can buy that Glock 21 with 10-round magazines in California.

Some out of state sellers will swap in 10-rounders; some will not, and that package can't be sold here unless the buyer is exempt.

02-29-2012, 7:00 AM
The CA FFL can also swap out the magazines if they have a high capacity permit.

It can get interesting though since some models list determined by whether it has high capacity magazines or not and the list can have the wrong version. A Glock is easy since they don't encode the magazines in the model number, but S&W and Sig do.

For example, on the list is a "E29R-40-ESE", but this is the high capacity magazine version. The 10 round magazine would be 229R-40-ESE, add to that Sig claims that the 229R-40-ESE is not on the list and that you have to get the CA version, which is different.

For S&W, often the SKU number is listed, which also indicates the magazines. If that does not match, the FFL might not do the transfer even though the firearm is the same exact model that is on the list.

Without the box, it can be hard to determine what the firearm actually is, which creates yet another problem and with the box it can create a problem is the model number involves the size of the magazines.

Then you have the listing differences such as with Ruger, which has the model numbers listed, not the name (which is marked on the firearm), so then you need to figure out which one is which.

After you figure out if it is on the list, then the list on the DROS system can be different and you have to figure out what the match is between the web page list and the DROS system list.

02-29-2012, 9:37 AM
Thank you for responses now I have a better understanding.