PDA

View Full Version : AK Question: Can I use a AR15 style muzzle device on a 5.56x39 barrel?

red_star_republic
02-28-2012, 6:18 PM
Can I use a AR15 style muzzle device on a 5.45x39 barrel?

That is if the barrel is threaded 1/2x28 is there any difference in the round exiting and causing damage, etc.

Thanks

Richard Erichsen
02-28-2012, 6:27 PM
Can I use a AR15 style muzzle device on a 5.56x39 barrel?

That is if the barrel is threaded 1/2x28 is there any difference in the round exiting and causing damage, etc.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you mean 5.45x39 mm. The bullet is slightly smaller in diameter than 5.56 so it should clear any muzzle device designed for 5.56 just fine. It's down to thread pitch if it's compatible or not. Since you said this was an "AK" question, then more typically the AK74 barrel's muzzle will have a 24 mm RH thread from the front sight block, but there are inserts to adapt from or to 14x1 mm LH and 1/2"x28 that will allow you to screw one into the other.

R

red_star_republic
02-28-2012, 8:00 PM
I'm pretty sure you mean 5.45x39 mm. The bullet is slightly smaller in diameter than 5.56 so it should clear any muzzle device designed for 5.56 just fine. It's down to thread pitch if it's compatible or not. Since you said this was an "AK" question, then more typically the AK74 barrel's muzzle will have a 24 mm RH thread from the front sight block, but there are inserts to adapt from or to 14x1 mm LH and 1/2"x28 that will allow you to screw one into the other.

R

Typo on 5.56x39

I was going to use a new barrel and have it threaded for the the muzzle device of my choice.

I'm going to order a Krebs front sight base gas block They're a little much at $100 but the other option from RifleDynamics is about the same.

Thanks for the feedback. New to the AK so trying to plan out how to put one together. Looking at some of the build parties but live in Nor-Cal

Richard Erichsen
02-29-2012, 7:01 AM
Typo on 5.56x39

I was going to use a new barrel and have it threaded for the the muzzle device of my choice.

I'm going to order a Krebs front sight base gas block They're a little much at $100 but the other option from RifleDynamics is about the same.

Thanks for the feedback. New to the AK so trying to plan out how to put one together. Looking at some of the build parties but live in Nor-Cal

You can thread the muzzle however you choose. With the integrated gas block/front sights, the barrel will extend quite a way out. Normal AK74 arrangements places the threading for the muzzle device on the front sight base close to the muzzle. It's not a problem, just something to be aware of.

The Bulgarian integrated gas block/sight is another option based on your description. I chose the Venom Tactical model that Rifle Dynamics sells.

https://www.venomtactical.com/shop/gas-block-p-72.html?eCOMid=92jl4bn8k9839co67beghk7o70

The "Bolton" block by Larry Bolten.

R