PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 7.63x39 Questions

Kelster1574
02-28-2012, 3:07 PM
I know there has been other (I have searched and read a ton) posts on Saiga's but since I just put my first one in jail today I have a couple to ask.

I see a bunch on Calguns with pistol grips......I was told you have to change out like 20 parts to make this legal.....How hard and how much does this cost?

What is the most reliable magazine for a Saiga 7.63x39?

Has anybody used a Carolina Billet Quad Rail and what do you think?

Thanks for the information I am sure there will be more to come.

lawhite92
02-28-2012, 3:33 PM
I believe to have those evil features you just need a mag lock

vta
02-28-2012, 3:33 PM
I see a bunch on Calguns with pistol grips......I was told you have to change out like 20 parts to make this legal.....How hard and how much does this cost?

google 'saiga 922r compliance'

this is a useful tool: http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

What is the most reliable magazine for a Saiga 7.63x39?

not a lot to choose from unless you do the bullet guide and fit the mag release. saiga factory mags or surefire mags are probably the most popular.

MrPlink
02-28-2012, 3:42 PM
to sum it up,

You CAN add a pistol grip to a Saiga.

This brings up two different laws you must address in order keep the rifle in a legal format.

FIRST, would be Federal 922(r). Saigas are imported from Russia in a "sporting configuration" adding a pistol grip (among other things) takes a rifle out of sporting configuration, and as such would require that a certain number of parts be replaced with American parts in order to comply with the law. Once again, google this or check the wiki on how to stay compliant. It is easy.

NEXT, would be California's Assault Weapon Ban. In stock form the Saiga has a detachable magazine, and adding any "evil feature" as per the ban would be illegal. A pistol grip being one such feature, as such you will need a device called a magazine lock which will allow you to have all the "evil features" you desire. There is a bit more to it than that, so please check the links at the top of the forum and educate yourself fully before doing any of this.

Most reliable magazine? Just about any old com bloc steel magazine, hands down.
But as mentioned, on a Saiga this would require the installation of a bullet guide, which once again would trigger 922(r)
Still, simple stuff

As far as the quad rail goes, could not tell you. Im usually against them (on any gun) unless you actually need them or are going to use them. But it is your gun!

BlackTydeTactical
02-28-2012, 3:43 PM
I have a few parts on my site, really cheap if you like coyote tan.

Kelster1574
02-29-2012, 6:14 AM
Okay, so the way I understand it. If I just replace the foregrip with a quadrail and I replace the stock with another of the same style I am compliant and I have no worries because I am keeping it as a "sporter" type rifle?