PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to put a compensator on a 1911 in CA?

spunk2
04-05-2007, 5:47 PM
A friend of mine asked me about this when I was visit the Bay working.
He is brand new and just getting into firearms. I had the unfortunate job of telling him about some of California's disapointing gun laws. 90% percent of the people really don't know about the ban. Everyone I've talked to has been surprised and pissed about it.

Is it legal? I didn't know the answer. I know flash hiders are illegal. But what about compensators (on a 1911 competition style pistol)?

Thank You

blkA4alb
04-05-2007, 5:48 PM
Pistols cannot have threaded barrels. However, there are barrels with built in compensators (muzzle brakes) built in.

spunk2
04-05-2007, 6:00 PM
Pistols cannot have threaded barrels. However, there are barrels with built in compensators (muzzle brakes) built in.

1911 compensators do not use threads to attach to the pistol.
They are part of the barrel bushing. Or rather they replace it.

Or am I wrong about that?

rips31
04-05-2007, 6:01 PM
if u can find angelina jolie's hk pistols, those have compensators built in (yea, i know op asked for 1911, but i couldn't help throwing in a reference for aj). some compensators fit on the rails of a pistol...basically just a weight. i've seen some like that for sale on gunbroker. you might get lucky and find one of them for a 1911.

xenophobe
04-05-2007, 7:06 PM
Some 1911 compensators do use threaded barrels, others replace the bushing, and others are permanently attached.

slick_711
04-05-2007, 7:49 PM
And unless it's a race gun they're all a disgrace to the honorable JMB. But legal, yes, as long as it's attached via bushing, or permanently attached somehow; any compensator that could be removed leaving you with a threaded barrel is illegal.

NeoWeird
04-05-2007, 7:56 PM
To clear things up:

- Threaded pistol barrels on semi-auto handguns (like 1911s) are illegal.

- Muzzle devices, of any kind (short of a sound suppressor), are not regulated in regards to pistols.

- There are several methods of attaching muzzle devices to a 1911 Whether it is threaded, permanently attached (usually via a pin), dual purpose barrel bushing, mounted on the frame/rail etc.

It doesn't matter so long as it does not have a threaded barrel, however it can have a threaded barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device. Also keep in mind that due to the rotating/tilting design of the barrel it might not be a good idea to mount a muzzle device to the barrel AND frame. Also, the bushing compensators are usually not as effective as ones attached to the barrel, might damage the barrel and/or pistol itself if improperly fitted/installed, and can not be used on all 1911s, especially those that do not use a bushing like bull barreled target pistols (which is one of the main reasons to attached a muzzle device to a 1911.

Honestly, your best bet is to buy athreaded 1911 barrel and/or have your barrel threaded, and then PERMANENTLY (ie weld, pin & weld, soldered, etc) attach the muzzle device BEFORE installing it back on your pistol. The 1911's design, since the barrel is removed through the front of the slide instead of through the bottom of the slide like many other semi-autos, allows the ability to permanently attach something to the barrel's end without interferring with function, disassembly, or cleaning.

bg
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I have a Wilson Combat comp for my 1911. Why I don't know,
but it replaces the barrel bushing. I've never had a prob regarding
LE with it on, but then again no LE has ever been around when I
did have it installed. >

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_barrel_multicomp.asp

elsolo
04-06-2007, 6:29 AM
99% of the open division shooters out there have a 1911 (2011 really) with a threaded barrel that has the comp "permanently attached" with solder. It is permanent until the comp cracks, then your smith replaces it.

acj415
12-05-2015, 8:20 PM
I was wondering if the sarco muzzled barrels are legal in California?
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911barrelroto5wcompensator.aspx

A friend of mine asked me about this when I was visit the Bay working.
He is brand new and just getting into firearms. I had the unfortunate job of telling him about some of California's disapointing gun laws. 90% percent of the people really don't know about the ban. Everyone I've talked to has been surprised and pissed about it.

Is it legal? I didn't know the answer. I know flash hiders are illegal. But what about compensators (on a 1911 competition style pistol)?

Thank You

SonofWWIIDI
12-05-2015, 8:25 PM
This is an example of a barrel bushing replacement model.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81j9GdMaaSL._SX522_.jpg

Amazon, about $40 I think.

hermosabeach
12-05-2015, 8:33 PM
I was wondering if the sarco muzzled barrels are legal in California?
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911barrelroto5wcompensator.aspx
based upon the description- yes
Takes a minute to install our barrel that comes with Barrel Bushing and permanently attached and ported Compensator.

Librarian
12-05-2015, 8:41 PM
Moved - see my .sig ...