PDA

View Full Version : Guns vs Cars

rojocorsa
02-28-2012, 3:26 PM
I'm just curious:

If someone gets an old car and tastefully improves its body panels by patching them up, removing rust, and re-painting it---do people get pissed off like when you refinish an old gun?

I asked, because I used to be a strict C&R purist but I now changed my position after giving it some thought. I realized what actually upsets me are tasteless and pointless modifications/bubbas.

There is nothing wrong with improving a rifle so that it lasts another 50 years. Case in point: There are better finishes than shellac, for example.

lil_jackal
02-28-2012, 3:40 PM
as long as it doesnt look like it belongs to a 5 year old :) , kinda upsets me when a classic car turns into a modern one with spinners :mad: same with guns !

Cuda440
02-28-2012, 4:09 PM
If you take a "survivor" car, completely unrestored, unmolested, and in great shape, then re-paint it with racing stripes, put fancy wheels and brakes, and a modern stereo, car guys will get mad.

Do the same to an old rustbucket, and nobody cares.

It's roughly the same with guns. Take a perfect wwII GI issued 1911, then re-finish it with black diamond, add VZ grips, adjustable sights, and custom checkering, and you have just ruined the value.

Do the same to a rusty, beat, broken wwII 1911, and you will end up with a cool gun.

axel4488
02-28-2012, 4:12 PM
I'm just curious:

If someone gets an old car and tastefully improves its body panels by patching them up, removing rust, and re-painting it---do people get pissed off like when you refinish an old gun?

I asked, because I used to be a strict C&R purist but I now changed my position after giving it some thought. I realized what actually upsets me are tasteless and pointless modifications/bubbas.

There is nothing wrong with improving a rifle so that it lasts another 50 years. Case in point: There are better finishes than shellac, for example.

as long as it doesnt look like it belongs to a 5 year old :) , kinda upsets me when a classic car turns into a modern one with spinners :mad: same with guns !

As long as its done tastefully. I like resto-mods where they restore say a 70 mustang, but put upgraded brakes, gauges, and other 21st century tech in a retro way. However, if you are just going to put JDM TYTE YO fart can mufflers and a big wing, then I would say no.

Same goes with guns. If it is done tastefully and not Taticooled out, then go for it.

rojocorsa
02-28-2012, 4:43 PM
Oh yeah, if something is perfectly fine---then I would not see the point in messing it up.

I'm talking about when the finish is halfway worn or something like that?

stix213
02-28-2012, 5:11 PM
Classic rare guns that have crazy upgrades would annoy me, but common ones like an m91/30 not so much. Though I might look at you funny if you're running an EOTech and a forward vertical grip on your m91/30 :p

A 1964 1/2 Mustang with a giant wing, lowered, with extended axles would kinda piss me off by the way.

RTE
02-28-2012, 7:58 PM
Classic guns leave alone to retain classic value

Cars if you can help then by all means do so :)
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/gallery_imgs/1224127108/med_gallery_4554_28_25389.jpg

rojocorsa
02-29-2012, 6:26 PM
British Cars, right?

Either MGs, or Austin-Healeys? Or Nash-Healey?

russ69
02-29-2012, 6:31 PM
The refinish job on a car or a gun should be in accordance to the original finish. In other words, we don't want to see a high polish blue job on a M1 Garand, as example.

Fishslayer
02-29-2012, 9:51 PM
Depends on the gun and the car...

...and whatever the **** it is that I want to do with MY gun or car...

...except for lowered trucks, wings and foo foo rims... those are just messed up man... ;)

Batman
03-01-2012, 8:14 AM
Depends on the owner's taste and what they want for either the car or the gun. If they're not selling, what's it matter? Some people are purists, who want original everything. Others want to restore or improve. Still yet are the Bubbas of the crowd that want to bling everything out.

And as far as a high polish blue finish on an M1 Garand, if it were mated with a high gloss burlwood walnut stock it would probably blow you away in person and you might change your mind. With a plain stock? It'd probably stick out like a fart in church.

russ69
03-01-2012, 8:57 AM
...And as far as a high polish blue finish on an M1 Garand, if it were mated with a high gloss burlwood walnut stock it would probably blow you away in person and you might change your mind. With a plain stock? It'd probably stick out like a fart in church...

I've seen some, not my cup of tea. It's right up there with gold plated Desert Eagles.

chuckdc
03-01-2012, 9:10 AM
British Cars, right?

Either MGs, or Austin-Healeys? Or Nash-Healey?

That one is a Triumph Spitfire (MkIII, I think.)

rojocorsa
03-01-2012, 9:25 PM
Well, I guessed British. Close enough! :p