PDA

View Full Version : maglock tool tethered to rimfire upper

mdimeo
02-28-2012, 3:23 PM
One of these days I'm going to get a dedicated rimfire upper.

What I'd *like* to do is to permanently tether a stay-attached bullet button tool to the rimfire upper, so that I could freely drop mags on the rimfire upper without worrying that I might forget to take the tool off before attaching the lower to a centerfire upper.

By "stay-attached" tool, I mean something like the mag magnet (though I'd hate to give those people money).

Has anyone put together anything like that?

roc
02-28-2012, 3:31 PM
yes. that is fine. rimfire with evil features are not considered AWs.

tonyxcom
02-28-2012, 3:44 PM
If you permanently tether a tool to the gun I believe it will no longer be compliant when using the a non .22 uppers.

tonyxcom
02-28-2012, 3:44 PM
If you permanently tether a tool to the gun I believe it will no longer be compliant when using the a non .22 uppers.

deviljon
02-28-2012, 3:48 PM

He would be attaching it to a 22 upper, so the tool would not be on a centerfire upper.

OP, what about a raddlock? You can switch it between locked or unlocked depending on whichever upper you're planning to use.

mdimeo
02-28-2012, 4:17 PM
yes. that is fine. rimfire with evil features are not considered AWs.

I wasn't asking a legal question. I'm asking how to make something.

mdimeo
02-28-2012, 4:21 PM
OP, what about a raddlock? You can switch it between locked or unlocked depending on whichever upper you're planning to use.

Since I'm mostly worried about forgetting to make the change, or somebody else swapping uppers (clueless friend, or an evil/clueless/careless cop), that wouldn't solve the issue I'm worried about.

vta
02-28-2012, 4:28 PM
I wasn't asking a legal question. I'm asking how to make something.

You are asking how to attach a bullet button tool to an upper? however the heck you want to. it doesn't really matter.

Since I'm mostly worried about forgetting to make the change, or somebody else swapping uppers (clueless friend, or an evil/clueless/careless cop), that wouldn't solve the issue I'm worried about.

doesnt really sound like you need much of anyone's opinion.

deviljon
02-28-2012, 4:33 PM
Get a vertical grip with a storage compartment for your .22lr upper and store it in there. Maybe zip tie it?

tonyxcom
02-28-2012, 4:46 PM
He would be attaching it to a 22 upper, so the tool would not be on a centerfire upper.

Ah, got it... attaching it to the 22 upper. Clever actually.

I would probably use some steel braided fishing line to attach it where the tether would be as short as possible and not in the way. Maybe to the dust cover hole/pin or the dust cover itself via a small hole I drilled in it.

mdimeo
02-28-2012, 6:24 PM
I would probably use some steel braided fishing line to attach it where the tether would be as short as possible and not in the way. Maybe to the dust cover hole/pin or the dust cover itself via a small hole I drilled in it.

That's a really good idea. I was thinking I'd have to drill and tap a hole or something somewhere, but hooking to the dust cover somehow sounds better.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-28-2012, 6:33 PM
Drill your device, attach a lanyard, tie it around the forward assist (if your rimfire upper has one), the optic/optic mount (if so equipped), or if neither of those two work, a rail attachment like this (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=picatinny+sling+stud&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=669l3778l0l7529l16l16l0l5l5l0l175l1366l3.8l 11l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17817611449782549609&sa=X&ei=7o1NT-bSA6SHmQWZ4_jjDw&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAg) attached to the upper's optic rail. I'd consider something more substantial than fishing line if it were me.

Interesting idea, although the possibility of "an evil/clueless/careless cop" is just a little bit :TFH: - and I speak from a couple of decades' experience in the field.

mdimeo
02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Interesting idea, although the possibility of "an evil/clueless/careless cop" is just a little bit :TFH: - and I speak from a couple of decades' experience in the field.

There's some evidence of such issues happening in Sacramento.

See the "Caesar's wife" thread by bwiese.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=533622

I don't know exactly what happened, or if it was evil, careless, or clueless. But it's a risk worth mitigating.

mdimeo
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
a rail attachment like this (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=picatinny+sling+stud&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=669l3778l0l7529l16l16l0l5l5l0l175l1366l3.8l 11l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17817611449782549609&sa=X&ei=7o1NT-bSA6SHmQWZ4_jjDw&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAg) attached to the upper's optic rail.

That sling swivel attachment looks perfect.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-29-2012, 1:52 PM
There's some evidence of such issues happening in Sacramento.

See the "Caesar's wife" thread by bwiese.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=533622

I don't know exactly what happened, or if it was evil, careless, or clueless. But it's a risk worth mitigating.

There are no specific incidents of altered evidence contained within that thread. I stand by my statement. An "assumption" does not an alteration make.

JaMail
02-29-2012, 2:04 PM
combo of two of the ideas, go with the magnet device, which is attached to the upper via 550 paracord or the braided wire.

when you detach the .22 upper, the mag tool comes with it. no chance of forgetting.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-29-2012, 2:59 PM
combo of two of the ideas, go with the magnet device, which is attached to the upper via 550 paracord or the braided wire.

when you detach the .22 upper, the mag tool comes with it. no chance of forgetting.

Much as I dislike the Mag Magnet, this makes sense. Not much chance of having the Mag Magnet in place with a centerfire upper installed if done this way.

Probably wouldn't be a good idea to do this if the upper in question uses a conversion kit instead of being a dedicated LR upper. Heaven forbid that some "evil cop" might slip a 5.56 BCG into it just to screw with the owner (this comment NOT made towards either JaMail or the OP). :TFH: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :sarcasm: :tt2: