PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with opticsplanet.com

omgwtfbbq
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
This might be a "cool story bra" kind of tale or it might be a cautionary story about the business done with opticsplanet, I'm not sure, but I'm sure you guys will let me know ;)

Anyways just over two weeks ago I ordered a DeSantis Facilitator OWB holster from opticsplanet. I had heard that they tend to have reasonable prices and on most items shipping is free. After shopping around I found that the price was about even with other retailers but with the free shipping it was going to be the best deal. When I ordered the holster at the selection screen and the checkout the item was listed as "In stock, read to shop", but after placing the order I received an email explaining that the holster had been put on back order and would ship in a couple of days. I emailed them back asking to be sent a shipping confirmation.

They responded ensuring that I would be notified when the order shipped and that they expect it to be sent off on or about the 21st-24th of feb. It's now the 28th and I've heard nothing. I decided to email them notifying them that I've found the holster elsewhere not on backorder and would cancel my order.

On the upside the representative I spoke with via email was respectful and answered my questions, however, I'm moving soon and don't feel that I should have to wait for a holster that may or may not come in time. In any case, have any others had similar experiences with optics planet or have I just been an over-eager brat? I was very polite when I cancelled my order but it's the first time I've ever felt the need to do so, so I'm curious as to whether or not I handled it properly. Should I have given them more time?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE
I log into my email accound this morning to find an email from Opticsplanet explaining that my order has been cancelled, but instead it's a shipping confirmation for the item. Now I have two holsters being send to me... I understand that they might not check their email everyday but how likely is it that the day I decide to cancel is the day they decide to ship it?

I send them an email explaining that I have already cancelled my order with them and have purchased the item through a different company, and if the holster does show up, I will send it directly back to them and will not be charged or will have my charges removed from my card.

alfred1222
02-28-2012, 1:03 PM
i think you handled it just fine. when a company gives you a time window, they need to stick to it, and you gave them a clear week after their deadline before canceling your order.

thomashoward
02-28-2012, 1:07 PM
I just got notice that my back ordered scope has shipped.
Good prices, Free ship that's all I need to know

sd_shooter
02-28-2012, 1:10 PM
Typical outcome at opticsplanet. Just buy it somewhere else if they don't have it in stock after all.

omgwtfbbq
02-28-2012, 1:15 PM
I just got notice that my back ordered scope has shipped.
Good prices, Free ship that's all I need to know

How long did they keep it on backorder before shipping? I'm just curious. I probably would have just waited if it weren't for the fact that I'm relocating soon and they made a commitment to have it shipped by a certain date and didn't meet that commitment.

Oceanbob
02-28-2012, 1:16 PM
Opticsplanet is a large and usually well stocked with competitively priced items. Once in a while, like any company, demand may sell out a popular item. Consider that they also may see that they are getting low on certain items and the supplier simply can't meet the delivery schedule. Not really anything they can do about it except try hard and refund your money if you can't wait. :)

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

I've used them for years; always happy with their performance and pricing. :)

Good luck with the move...I hate moving....Arrrgg.

Be well, Bob

PhantomII
02-28-2012, 2:53 PM
I quit doing business with them when a Red Dot I wanted showed as 'in-stock' so I placed the order, received a confirmation, then... Nothing for three days.

I called and asked when it would ship and was told it was back ordered for three weeks.

I would think they would at least have the courtesy to send out an e-mail letting customers know when an item is back ordered rather than leave them guessing.
I chalked it up to poor customer service and moved on.

Anyway, their prices are competitive but not the best. I can usually get a better deal by shopping around.

Shellshocker66
02-28-2012, 2:56 PM
It's probably for the best you canceled the order. While I've had good luck with the couple of orders I've placed with Opticsplanet.com, that free shipping comes with a wait. They use that very slow, "I could of walked faster out there" UPS shipping.

I remember my last order took 10 days to get here after I got shipping confirmation.

thomashoward
02-28-2012, 5:11 PM
How long did they keep it on backorder before shipping? I'm just curious. I probably would have just waited if it weren't for the fact that I'm relocating soon and they made a commitment to have it shipped by a certain date and didn't meet that commitment.

They told me B.O. until March 20 emailed me today shipping
They have great prices and they are moving a butt load of merchandise. You can pay more and get it quicker if you like. Your choice

dobek
02-28-2012, 7:48 PM
When they have it in stock - you can't beat opticsplanet - when it is out of stock - sit back - relax - it will be there in a month.... what I have done is when you get the backorder notice - call and see if they will discount for the extra wait time - I have only had one order backordered (out of maybe 6-7) but they took an extra 5% just for asking.

Steve

omgwtfbbq
02-28-2012, 9:14 PM
I found it through MidwayUSA and it was on clearance for 31 bucks. With shipping, insurance, and the NRA round up donation it was $38.00, which is cheaper than what Opticsplanet had it for in the first place.

I'm assuming the back order was due to maybe the product getting discontinued or something like that. That would explain the short supply, long wait, and the clearance price at Midway.

I don't plan on swearing off opticsplanet entirely, especially since they seem to have some great reviews, and the free shipping is awesome. Just probably going to be a little wary about holsters. I guess it's just my luck that the holster I want ends up being in short supply haha.

voiceofreason
02-28-2012, 9:50 PM
I ordered 2 holsters in stock from Opticsplanet recently.

One shipped a few days after. The other was on backorder.

A few weeks later, still hadn't received it. Needed it and wasn't going to have it. Sucks, but I knew it was on backorder.

Emailed them a cancellation. They answered back acknowledging the cancellation with an apology for not being able to fulfill the order.

Not the best IMO, but not bad or negative either.

Would probably order again based on this last experience. Would order from somewhere else if it was on backorder.

831Shooter
02-28-2012, 11:47 PM
When they have it in stock - you can't beat opticsplanet - when it is out of stock - sit back - relax - it will be there in a month....

Agreed, except I'm impatient.. if I get the email that it is backordered I call and cancel.

It is QUITE annoying that they list things as "in stock, ready to ship" when they know damn well that it is not. I would expect that a business as large as OP would have real time stock info on their website.

So, if they have it, you get a good deal. If not call and cancel. They will give you no hassle about canceling.

SOCAL INFIDEL
02-28-2012, 11:59 PM
My lady friend ordered me some night sights for my M&P from them. They sent her the exact ones she ordered (the WRONG ones). When I told her I wanted night sights for my M&P and NOT my Glock she contacted them, told them the story and they shipped and sent the new sights before even receiving the Glock ones without double charging her, AND it was free shipping. Any place that'll do this WITHIN A WEEK is OK in my book.

negolien
02-29-2012, 4:14 AM
I have used them alot as with their partners dvor have had 0 issues however if you were moving canceling the order seems smart /shrug.

K7addict
02-29-2012, 4:22 AM
Never had an issue with them myself I've made about 6 purchases over the past 3-4 four years. Although, aside from the free shipping and low prices, I've found a 5% off coupon code online every time I've ordered. Seems it always works and it hasn't changed. Gotta make the decision that works for you though.

1 SIG fan
02-29-2012, 7:15 AM
They stock very little but take orders for it regardless. Sooo.... Lots of back orders and delays you don't know about until after u expected to have it shipped. Argh

omgwtfbbq
02-29-2012, 7:28 AM
UPDATE

I log into my email accound this morning to find an email from Opticsplanet explaining that my order has been cancelled, but instead it's a shipping confirmation for the item. Now I have two holsters being send to me... I understand that they might not check their email everyday but how likely is it that the day I decide to cancel is the day they decide to ship it?

I send them an email explaining that I have already cancelled my order with them and have purchased the item through a different company, and if the holster does show up, I will send it directly back to them and will not be charged or will have my charges removed from my card.

TNP'R
02-29-2012, 7:31 AM
Typical outcome at opticsplanet. Just buy it somewhere else if they don't have it in stock after all.

Yep opticsplanet done that a time or two to me as well. It annoying and inexcusable. Just take your business else where.

sholling
02-29-2012, 7:59 AM
There is a secret to doing business with Optics Planet and that secret is call and check stock. The way Optics Planet keeps their prices low is that they avoid the high cost of maintaining large inventories of hundreds of items and use drop shipping instead - that's a legitimate business model. When an order comes in they have the manufacturer or distributor send it directly to you. The downside to that is their website cannot tell if the manufacturer/distributor has any in stock and you sometimes get caught in backorder limbo. The way to avoid that is call and talk to a customer service rep because they have access to their vendors' inventory systems and can tell you how many are in stock.

A larger company would be able to tie their website's inventory system into the vendors' inventory systems but that is a huge investment with huge ongoing maintenance costs that would have to be passed on to the customers in the form of higher prices.

OpticsPlanet
02-29-2012, 9:36 AM
I responded to something similar to this a few days ago.

We don't have the stock status on our website, and it sucks. It's something we're working on right now, but it's been quite difficult because our website doesn't update in real-time and the sheer number of items we ship everyday. But it's a priority for guys like me (in marketing) and development all the way to the president and CEO of the company.

If you call us at 800-504-5897, one of our reps can look up the stock of any item on our website for you right through our warehouse. You can then order over the phone, order online, or check on the availability of other items. Our live chat reps can check availability too. It's not something we're trying to hide from customers - it's something we just haven't gotten a working fix for yet.

Once again, really sorry for the frustration this has caused.

Just to address a common misconception in this thread -

We do have inventory. I don't know if anyone can match the amount of product we keep on the shelves in our warehouse. The only thing holding us back from having an even larger inventory is space - and I know we never stop looking for more/better warehouse space.

Alessandro M.

negolien
02-29-2012, 7:16 PM
UPDATE

That's your bad dude really...:facepalm: Canceling an order should be done over the phone that would have solved that issue before it happened. As for they don't stock alot o always have back orders.. Maybe you've had bad luck Sig or are just a hater because I have NEVER had a back order and always recieve my shipments promptly.. Well Done Optics Planet keep up the good work.

DasBoost
02-29-2012, 7:32 PM
I've heard both good and bad about Optics Planet and usually I can find the same item for roughly the same price elsewhere. However, I am a member of Dvor, their daily discounter site. Got some cool items and flat rate shipping isn't bad at $9.99 except for small stuff. I had two issues with Dvor and each time I have called their CS dept and spoken with someone and had a RMA label in my inbox within 10mins. You have to pay for shipping but both of my issues were handled promptly and left me still a customer.

omgwtfbbq
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
I responded to something similar to this a few days ago.

Just to address a common misconception in this thread -

We do have inventory. I don't know if anyone can match the amount of product we keep on the shelves in our warehouse. The only thing holding us back from having an even larger inventory is space - and I know we never stop looking for more/better warehouse space.

Alessandro M.

I called and talked to a representative this morning. She was extremely helpful and emailed me instructions on how to return the holster if I decide to do so.

I supposed I've learned a bit about patience this go around, but what can I say, I am a gear hound. :(

DasBoost
02-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I called and talked to a representative this morning. She was extremely helpful and emailed me instructions on how to return the holster if I decide to do so.

I supposed I've learned a bit about patience this go around, but what can I say, I am a gear hound. :(

Only thing I would've changed OP was to call first instead of email. Seems like youve got it sorted now though.

krisjon
03-03-2012, 8:41 AM
I'm not dealing with OpticsPlanet again. I just canceled the other half of an order I had with them.

I previously had an order in for a RDS sight and Safariland holster, both of which went immediately to backorder. I was willing to wait, but then when I started receiving further delay emails after they indicated a time it was expected to stock/ship, I started wondering if I had made a mistake with these guys.

I went ahead and canceled the order on the sight (found it through another retailer IN STOCK), but still wanted to give them a chance on the holster. What happens today? Another email indicating another month-long delay on the holster when they said they'd have it this week. I need it for a class April 7th, so no dice. I'm done with these guys selling things 1) they don't stock 2) can't seem to even get in stock when they say they can.

Regardless of what their employees and shills say, be forewarned CalGunners....

Edited to add: And yes, I dealt directly both by phone and online chat MULTIPLE times with OpticsPlanet (Starr, Kathleen and a few others) customer service. Can't say they were unpleasant, just completely unable to deliver as a company.

Steve-O
03-04-2012, 4:07 AM
I have always been satisfied with my dealings with OpticsPlanet.

And on a side note, I am very happy with their OPMOD 8x binocs I recently bought.

amd64
03-04-2012, 7:30 AM
If I don't need something fast, I order from them.

lrdchivalry
03-04-2012, 8:58 AM
I have only ordered from them once (a safariland holster) and it took almost three months to get it, especially, as others have pointed out, the item was listed as in stock and ready to ship. I haven't ordered from them since and not sure I ever will.

Databyter
03-04-2012, 5:43 PM
This might be a "cool story bra" kind of tale or it might be a cautionary story about the business done with opticsplanet, I'm not sure, but I'm sure you guys will let me know ;)

Anyways just over two weeks ago I ordered a DeSantis Facilitator OWB holster from opticsplanet. I had heard that they tend to have reasonable prices and on most items shipping is free. After shopping around I found that the price was about even with other retailers but with the free shipping it was going to be the best deal. When I ordered the holster at the selection screen and the checkout the item was listed as "In stock, read to shop", but after placing the order I received an email explaining that the holster had been put on back order and would ship in a couple of days. I emailed them back asking to be sent a shipping confirmation.

They responded ensuring that I would be notified when the order shipped and that they expect it to be sent off on or about the 21st-24th of feb. It's now the 28th and I've heard nothing. I decided to email them notifying them that I've found the holster elsewhere not on backorder and would cancel my order.

On the upside the representative I spoke with via email was respectful and answered my questions, however, I'm moving soon and don't feel that I should have to wait for a holster that may or may not come in time. In any case, have any others had similar experiences with optics planet or have I just been an over-eager brat? I was very polite when I cancelled my order but it's the first time I've ever felt the need to do so, so I'm curious as to whether or not I handled it properly. Should I have given them more time?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE

It happens.

I had a similar situation with Lucky Gunner, and they actually sent me an extra 1000 rounds of ammo, and didn't even charge me for it.

I fought off my greed and need and ended up sending the ammo back with an RMA.

Regarding Optics Planet, I had an issue with a weapon light they sent me being defective from the factory. I found them easy to deal with, good communication, got my RMA and had the new light sent out virtually simultaneously.

They will get my business in the future both for their prices, and for their ability to actually provide customer communications and service in those rare instances where it is necessary.

toby
03-05-2012, 4:57 AM
Optics planet does not even make my list of where to look or buy things from, not even if no one else has it in stock, I'll just wait it out....imo

negolien
03-06-2012, 4:47 AM
Cool more stuff for us...

Rob454
03-07-2012, 3:54 AM
Bought a scope there. Ended up being bent slightly so it never was able to be correctly adjusted. Called them up they gave me a RO # and I got a new one 3-4 weeks later. No big deal. You guys will live longer if you stopped stressing over a item being late or not in stock or you get it in 7 days rather than 4 days.

ahren111
03-07-2012, 7:13 AM
I've only used them once, it was a good experince. Called them to make sure my part was in stock, they said it was so I ordered it on a Friday. I had my part Thursday 4 working days later.