PDA

View Full Version : Biograhpy of a Gun:Chicago Magazine.

SilverTauron
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Sometimes, the press actually does their job, which is why I wish to share this informative article with the Calguns membership here:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/June-2004/Biography-of-a-Gun/

Here is an interesting excerpt on the effectiveness of the Brady instant NICS check:

The most common sources of guns used in crimes, the ATF reports, are "straw purchasers," individuals with valid firearm owner's identification cards who have passed criminal background checks and can buy guns legally, but do so on behalf of others. In most straw-purchase situations, Mike Smith says, a shill—typically a drug user, perhaps a family member or girlfriend with a clean criminal record—buys a gun and either gives it or resells it to someone else. Prohibited purchasers are mainly convicted felons, gang members, drug dealers, and juveniles.

Agent Orange
02-28-2012, 1:13 PM
"Gun dealers are not legally liable for straw-purchase sales if they reasonably believe the buyer is the real owner. But a study released last June by researchers from the University of California at Los Angeles school of public health found half of 120 gun dealers surveyed nationwide admitted they would sell a handgun to someone they knew was a straw purchaser."

Mesa Tactical
02-28-2012, 1:26 PM
"Gun dealers are not legally liable for straw-purchase sales if they reasonably believe the buyer is the real owner. But a study released last June by researchers from the University of California at Los Angeles school of public health found half of 120 gun dealers surveyed nationwide admitted they would sell a handgun to someone they knew was a straw purchaser."

Within the last week or two, several Calgunners said in this very forum they would happily sell a gun to a prohibited person if we had paperless transfers here.

mag360
02-28-2012, 1:28 PM
depends on what causes of "prohibited" are just.

aklover_91
02-28-2012, 1:30 PM
Within the last week or two, several Calgunners said in this very forum they would happily sell a gun to a prohibited person if we had paperless transfers here.

I mean you figure that, lots of people will do anything to make a buck.

But who the hell is boneheaded enough to cop to something like that? The stupidity almost bothers me more than the willingness to do it.

dantodd
02-28-2012, 1:46 PM

Link please.

LockJaw
02-28-2012, 2:20 PM
"120 dealers surveyed by UCLA"
A very small sampling by a Liberal Organization, in a very anti gun town. Gee I'm surprised.

vantec08
02-28-2012, 2:51 PM
depends on the definition of "is"

Sutcliffe
02-28-2012, 3:08 PM
"120 dealers surveyed by UCLA"
A very small sampling by a Liberal Organization, in a very anti gun town. Gee I'm surprised.

Doesn't quite pass the smell test.

Mesa Tactical
02-28-2012, 3:28 PM
Link please.

This thread was intriguing, and finally a member asked a direct question, and other members danced around without answering:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8008268#post8008268

I mean, the answer to the question should have been "no," shouldn't it?

anothergunnut
02-28-2012, 4:30 PM
This is a clever anti gun tactic. By making the story about the gun, you blame the gun. The story should be about the criminals who use guns but that doesn't support their agenda. How about four pages discussing the criminal records of the shooter and the criminal justice system failures that led to the shooting? How about a page or two on the welfare system or school system that breeds this kind of behavior?

On a side note, who bought the 56,367 machine guns manufactured in 2001?!

QQQ
02-28-2012, 4:48 PM
On a side note, who bought the 56,367 machine guns manufactured in 2001?!That was me!

dantodd
02-28-2012, 5:00 PM
This thread was intriguing, and finally a member asked a direct question, and other members danced around without answering:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8008268#post8008268

I mean, the answer to the question should have been "no," shouldn't it?

I think you are somewhat suffering from confirmation bias.

I believe people were "dancing around" the question not because they would sell to someone who they believed were prohibited but rather because the question was asked in such a way that a direct answer would lead to the conclusion that background checks are effective. The people answering seemed to want to address this conclusion in their total answer.

But perhaps I too am seeing what I want in the answers.

Either way no one said outright that they would knowingly sell to a prohibited person. Your statement sounded as if you were claiming some CalGunners were claiming they would sell guns to people they believed would use them for nefarious purposes.