PDA

View Full Version : AR help please?

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 8:34 AM
So I took out the new AR this weekend. I had a blast with it but I've been having some issues. Its a spikes lower and Bushmaster (probably carbon 15, poly upper either way.)

I have a pic attached here and as you can see the groups moved down after say 5-8 rounds, I'd rotate to bring my impact down. This was at 25 yards, I kept my front post directly in the half way point of the orange circle and as level/centered as I could and as I rotated it down I got right next to the orange circle.

Strangely I gave up trying to hit it and went to a knee and put the vertical grip on and fired without any table support and started getting hits on the orange even during rapid fire. To get the hits I ended up putting the front post just below the orange circle. Is my front sight defective? Its up pretty high already. Take a look at the pic, and I'm not a rifle guy and mainly just shoot pistols and shotguns so excuse the aim, I know its not great and ignore the 4-5 9mm rounds that some person decided to do on my target :rolleyes:.

I used XM193 ammo, federal.

Out of 110/115 rounds I shot, I had 5 Jams (4 failures to seat the round and one double feed. That said I still feel confident in it but I think its magazine related even with pmags. I wish I had taken a picture.

It was weird since I practiced charging the weapon with the charging handle and the bolt catch and for some reason when evaluating my jams it showed the magazine follower/bullets tiled up almost as if a person or the bolt pushed back on the back of the cartridges and caused them not to get up the feed ramp properly. I used the right amount of lubrication. I suppose with the fact the magazine button doesn't click very loudly that I maybe didnt seat it properly but all 4 of them makes me wonder.

russ69
02-28-2012, 8:48 AM
If you were resting the gun or barrel on a hard surface, it will cause the shots to go high. Otherwise, your sighting equipment is loose.

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 8:50 AM
If you were resting the gun or barrel on a hard surface, it will cause the shots to go high. Otherwise, your sighting equipment is loose.

Guess I never thought of that, thank you. Yea I'm not to worried about the sights, I'm going to take the rear off and go with a flip up and do optics. I think it may even be my eyesight.

The jams are what worries me :/.

FourLoko
02-28-2012, 8:53 AM
Agreed. Loose optics and double check that you loaded the rounds properly in the PMAG.

I had a couple feed issues last week both of which were thanks to the way the rounds were sitting in the PMAG. Coupled with a bullet button that may have been too lose or too tight (still debating).

As for groups, I was still hitting my target at 100 yards but shooting high. Only a few days later did I realize my red dot was loose on its mount and needed some more loctite on the screws.

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 8:57 AM
Agreed. Loose optics and double check that you loaded the rounds properly in the PMAG.

I had a couple feed issues last week both of which were thanks to the way the rounds were sitting in the PMAG. Coupled with a bullet button that may have been too lose or too tight (still debating).

As for groups, I was still hitting my target at 100 yards but shooting high. Only a few days later did I realize my red dot was loose on its mount and needed some more loctite on the screws.

Yea you very well may be right about the rounds being seated as opposed to the mag being seated. I tried to do the SPORTS drill and when I tried to retract my charging handle and it took alot of strength. When I did get it back I had to fix a round on one of them and push it back in the magazine so I could eject it. (it was laying against the feed ramp and under the feed lips at the same time).

Yea I'm thinking of snatching a SPARC optic and a BUIS (magpul is really appealing but I hate the idea of plastic, but its so affordable).

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 9:20 AM
I hoping its not because there two different brand receivers.

NorCalK9.com
02-28-2012, 9:23 AM
I have the aimpoint compm2 and its awesome, if you look in the marketplace you can find good deals

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 9:33 AM
I have the aimpoint compm2 and its awesome, if you look in the marketplace you can find good deals

Yea I dont want to go through the trouble of having to replace my front sight (the post is one thing if its defective), but I want to be able to do quick detach of a optic (even if I lose zero just a bit). I find flat rails are just more comfy in the end and I thought going in that I'd like having the old type with carrying handle more.

So I'm thinking they may have been user error, afterall it was a brand new gun, there may have been a break in period. Looking at the front sight, its raised pretty high just to get close and looking at it, its loose, its not going anywhere but loose, you guys are right.

Lol I was about to clean it today since I took it out yesterday and realized I didnt buy a damn chamber brush......ugh toothbrush's seem to work well.

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM

I double checked my other targets. This but also loose optics must be it. When I stood up I wasnt even that steady but the moment I put the front post on the orange center I pull the trigger. It must have been me putting way to much weight and leaning onto the gun which had a special sandbag/v rest setup. I should have held it by the magwell really still.

Ziggy91
02-28-2012, 3:08 PM
I double checked my other targets. This but also loose optics must be it. When I stood up I wasnt even that steady but the moment I put the front post on the orange center I pull the trigger. It must have been me putting way to much weight and leaning onto the gun which had a special sandbag/v rest setup. I should have held it by the magwell really still.

Holding by the magwell isn't the best for a steady standing shot, it's just comfortable so it seems right. Getting a longer grip on the rifle will help steady shots. Think of it this way, if you wanted to have a stable table :facepalm: would you rather have legs in the middle.... or legs as far apart as possible while supporting the top?

BTW, i noticed you referenced "SPORTS" and I hope to god you didn't try shooting with Magpul's infamous hand grip position..... i don't need to tell you the lack of support you get, grabbing the rifle from the top with your index and thumb... :p

Sturnovik
02-28-2012, 4:14 PM
Holding by the magwell isn't the best for a steady standing shot, it's just comfortable so it seems right. Getting a longer grip on the rifle will help steady shots. Think of it this way, if you wanted to have a stable table :facepalm: would you rather have legs in the middle.... or legs as far apart as possible while supporting the top?

BTW, i noticed you referenced "SPORTS" and I hope to god you didn't try shooting with Magpul's infamous hand grip position..... i don't need to tell you the lack of support you get, grabbing the rifle from the top with your index and thumb... :p

I didnt mean by the mag but the front of it, but yea I see where your coming from budd. Like I said I hardly ever shoot rifles, its all pistol and shotgun range work.

That said, I dont get whats wrong with sports..? I was using it to clear the jam and realized that it was seated but the round was seated just a hair to far forward and didnt chamber correctly.

I dont know the magpul position your speaking of unless you mean wrapping your whole hand around the farrrrrr side of the foregrip, almost near the front sight? I used the vertical grip. I guess I should have remembered how much that resting it in the middle and that little bit of weight could have affected the angle of incident and hitting the target.