PDA

View Full Version : LUCC - help finding the pertinent threads

BlindRacer
02-28-2012, 9:16 AM
I'm starting to think that LUCC may be a viable option for me, until the tides change a bit more.

I've been searching all afternoon yesterday to find all the ins and outs about it. Tried to find the info on the wiki, and through searches here, and elsewhere, but I just can't find the straight skinny.

Could someone point me to a thread...or 5 that give the low down? Pertinent laws. Where you can, where you can't, and also like bullets on a k-12 school issues and such.

I've been finding bits and pieces, and also the controversial issues about when and where it's allowed, but just not finding enough info to feel confident enough to know I'm not breaking the law.

Thanks for all your help, and I know this all has been discussed over and over, I just can't seem to search well enough these last two days.

ojisan
02-28-2012, 9:35 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=447700

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397026

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=278739

BlindRacer
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for those links. Very informative.

I'm still having a problem with this, which was increased by reading one of these links.

The wording in the law...specifically the 'lawfully possess' section, seems to be what people are using to say that this is okay to do. Gene is anyways...or so it sounds.

It looks like there's still a great deal of debate about this though. I want to make sure that this is 100% legal, what I am thinking of doing.

What I'd like to do...
Say I have a belt pouch, in which I carry a gun and mag. This pouch is locked, and stiff enough to not allow manipulation of the gun from the outside. I strap it on, and go out of the house with my wife and two kids to take a walk in the park, then head back home...the whole time with the gun, LUCC in the belt pouch. Same situation, but then to the movies, or to the mall, or to dinner.

It sounds like LUCC may be completely legal to do if I'm taking it from my house to a friend's or family member's house, or the like. But what if I have no other destination that just being out for dinner and a movie, or a walk in the park or around my neighborhood?

Also, one more facet. If I walk around my neighborhood, the 'no bullets on k-12' applies, but is there a 1000' rule to this, or is it the actual property?

BlindRacer
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Reading a little more, it looks like the property in which I'd want to do this, would HAVE to be private property as well.

So going for a walk in a public park would be a no-no.

But going to dinner and/or a movie would be okay.

Beach: no-no.

Shopping Mall: okay.

Am I even close to understanding this correctly? This almost seems like it may not be worth it. If it's this difficult to understand, and make sure that I'm not breaking the law, then what is a DA and prosecutor going to make of it, if I were ever arrested. I don't want to put my family or myself through that.

What does everyone here think about it? Is there a wiki section about LUCC, that lays things out a little more clearly?

And does the new UOC ban, and/or the renumbering of the PC affect anything as well?

BlindRacer
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Delving deeper into all these thread, it looks like the head honchos here don't even agree on all the points with regards to LUCC. Seems to risky to do. Since it all hinges on what is considered being in possession of the space in which you reside at the given moment, it looks like it's too easy for a judge to interpret it in anyway he/she wishes.

Looks like it's not the option I was looking for, unfortunately. Thanks for the help in pointing me to those threads.

aermotor
02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Not sure if you're reading to far into it or not. But if you LUCC, I don't think you're ever going to have issues... Don't carry in schools, post offices, Gov buildings etc. No one is ever going to know you have it and it will give you peace of mind. There's plenty of defense on your side. I don't see the conflict you're talking about either. Hoffmang and Librarian both site the legalities and it is legal.

BlindRacer
02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Not sure if you're reading to far into it or not. But if you LUCC, I don't think you're ever going to have issues... Don't carry in schools, post offices, Gov buildings etc. No one is ever going to know you have it and it will give you peace of mind. There's plenty of defense on your side.

Whether it would be found out or not is irrelevant. It's whether I'd be breaking the law at any point. I do not want to do this, because with a wife and 2 young kids, I can't risk not being there for them...no matter how small of a chance of getting caught there is.

If it's not legal (or only legal in very few situations), then I'm not going to do it. Not worth the risk.

aermotor
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
In all that discussion form the many threads I don't see anything that implicitly states it's illegal (besides the few specific locations). If you can maintain your 4th and 5th rights, you will have no worries. My point about no one knowing only further solidifies the very low key nature of LUCC and almost imperceptible nature of it.

cmmgar15
02-28-2012, 1:12 PM
From what I have read it is legal as long as you don't carry in the few places your not supposed to. I live in salinas,ca,I carry LUCC all day every day if I go to a place that I know I can't carry I put it in the trunk of my car. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I have an 18mo son and in my town I will not take any chances. I say do it just make sure of school zones and places you know you shouldn't carry.
Good luck and be safe

advocatusdiaboli
02-29-2012, 12:03 PM
One other point no one addressed and why legality is important even if no one knows you are carrying: the legailty of the carry becomes an important factor in staying out of incarceration or being fined or added to the prohibited list once you draw it and use it which is why you are carrying it. Most of us will never find out, fortunately, but the OP is right to be concerned.