PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the AppleSeed way at full distance?

KnowFear
02-28-2012, 6:24 AM
Shooting at 25 yds is a blast, and is obviously desirable given time constraints (and shear volume of info that must be absorbed in 2 days). But it would be nice to put it all together, from stability factors up through come-ups and clicks, out at full range.

Are there AppleSeed events (or AppleSeed friendly ranges that allow the positions) near the Bay Area that shoot out to full the 400 or 500 yd range?

PurplePeople
02-28-2012, 6:39 AM
The closest full distance shoot that I know of is:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27687.0
check out the 6/30-7/1 shoot. A longish drive, but pretty up there.

There's a 300 yd public range (and a 1000 yard members-only range) at the Sacramento Valley range (http://sacvalley.org/)

And a 200 yd (only) range at Chabot.

Rock6.3
02-28-2012, 6:59 AM
Red Bluff will include full distance for Center Fire rifles on Sunday, of the Nov 17-18 Appleseed, but it is more productive if you have already got yourself dialed in (Rifleman patch earned).

Hat Creek will run a full distance for Center Fire rifles on Sunday of the June 30-July 1 Appleseed, but it is more productive if you have already got yourself dialed in (Rifleman patch earned).

Note: Hat Creek will not offer full distance on April 21-22.

Notepad and good notes are critical for success as you build your own DOPE sheet for your rifle.

Both of these Appleseed locations offer free camping (no electricity, no running water).

PurplePeople
02-28-2012, 8:11 AM
Red Bluff will include full distance for Center Fire rifles on Sunday, of the Nov 17-18 Appleseed, but it is more productive if you have already got yourself dialed in (Rifleman patch earned).

Hat Creek will run a full distance for Center Fire rifles on Sunday of the June 30-July 1 Appleseed, but it is more productive if you have already got yourself dialed in (Rifleman patch earned).

Note: Hat Creek will not offer full distance on April 21-22.

Notepad and good notes are critical for success as you build your own DOPE sheet for your rifle.

Both of these Appleseed locations offer free camping (no electricity, no running water).

The OP already made his score at Chabot with a 22LR a couple of weeks ago, and came very close with a .308 that he was shooting from positions for the first time. He's ready.

KillerRabbit
02-28-2012, 9:05 AM
Appleseed has many similarities to shooting High Power competition. What you might want to consider is shooting one of the 3X600 events at Coalinga or Sacramento. If you enjoyed Appleseed the next step for you might be High Power. Many people get a little nervous about competing, but most matches are a very low key atmosphere and a lot of fun.
Dirk

KnowFear
02-28-2012, 9:50 AM
Ha Ha - me nervous? My wife has to poke me once in a while to make sure I'm not dead :)

Only thing I worry about at Sac long distance range is not getting to shoot close in enough at 100, 200, etc. - it looks like the gang there is focused on 400+, which is fine. Just might not be what I am looking for at this point.

But will check it out, as well as Hat Creek.

With any luck, the Garand will be here by then :) Might be a bit easier to use than the Euro-rifle with the magazine in the way.

ocabj
02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
If you have a 100 yard zero, you can shoot High Power Rifle "Across the Course" matches (200 yard standing and sitting, 300 yard and 600 yard prone) and get on target with the 2-3-11 rule.

2 MOA up from your confirmed 100 yard zero to get rough 200 yard zero. 3 MOA up from your confirmed 200 zero to get a rough 300 yard zero. 11 MOA up from your confirmed 300 yard zero to get a rough 600 yard zero. When I say rough, I mean rough. You'll be on paper, and usually in the black.

PurplePeople
02-28-2012, 2:38 PM
Re High Power, once you have the Garand you might want to check out the Zouaves in San Jose. Rather than repeat a lot of stuff, I'll just refer you to this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=8088125&postcount=12
They shoot out to 200yds at the Metcalf Range just south of San Jose - a pretty easy run down 680.