PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok for my pregnant girlfriend to still shoot?

essayearly
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
So at 1:20 AM 27/2/2012 I found out my girlfriend is 6 to 7 weeks pregnant so I'm going to be a father... I'm pretty excited and so is she, but my girlfriend asked me a question that I'm really not sure about the answer to;Is it OK for pregnant women to still use this kind of firearms (http://www.giftmadesimple.com/product/personalized-gift-ideas/33904/?rid=28910516) and if so, how late into the pregnancy? (yes, she's that awesome to wonder if she's still going to be able to shoot the Glock lol)
I figured that there are enough guys and females on here that at least a few people should have some experience with this subject. She (and I) would appreciate any advice and / or wisdom that anyone can give.
Thank you in advance and as always,
Have fun and stay safe!

Librarian
02-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=pregnancy+and+shooting+sports&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

AfisBoy
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
No. Her exposure to lead could be harmful to the baby.

MrPlink
02-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Nope and congrats!

AlliedArmory
02-28-2012, 4:12 AM
Absolutely not.

drclark
02-28-2012, 6:03 AM
General consensus is no.

1. Potential for lead exposure would have a greater impact on a developing fetus than a full grown adult.

2. No way to effectively protect the baby's ears from the muzzle blast.

Shooting for liesure or sport is just not worth the potential health risks to the child. A self defense situation would be different... As health of the baby depends on the health and safety of the mother.

Risks for lead exposure means that she probably shouldn't shoot until after she is done breastfeeding.

Consider this one of the many small sacrafices you and your gf will have to make for the sake of your child. I'm a fairly new father with a 2yr old and a 2month old and my wife and I rarely have any time to do a lot of the things we did prior to having kids. Shooting along with many other hobbies are on the back buner until they are older and a bit more independent (which a lot of oldtimers would probably tell me that doesn't happen til they're 25).

Congrats on the new baby, and if you "love" the gf enough to make a kid, I hope you "love" her enough to marry her....

DSB
02-28-2012, 6:13 AM
Congrats. No. No. No.

scottunit1
02-28-2012, 6:26 AM
I had the same question a few months ago so when we were at the doctor we asked they said no. i trust them so we didnt.

Oceanbob
02-28-2012, 6:39 AM
Congrats..DAD.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..WHOOP-WHOOP..!

Gonna be beyond explanation raising a little one up..!:)

I would say NO...play it safe.

Be well Dad, Bob :)

mark2203
02-28-2012, 6:48 AM
I would not take the chance.

TMC
02-28-2012, 7:11 AM
So it looks like we've covered that she shouldn't shoot. Depending on how much you shoot and if you reload at home you should try and keep the dust from the range and your reloading out the house and away from her. If she washes the clothes you wore to the range it can be just as bad, or worse, than if she went herself. The dust form public ranges can have very high levels of lead and she can inhale or ingest if from handling the clothes.

Search the web and read up on how it minimize the dust on you and your clothes when you return from the range.

Andy Taylor
02-28-2012, 7:12 AM
Congrats.
As to your question, no.
When I worked at a gun range, we had big signs posted: :NO PREGNANT WOMEN ALLOWED ON THE FIRING RANGE.

Exposure to lead is harmful to the fetus. Exposure to the noise of gunfire is harmful to the fetus.

Zartan
02-28-2012, 7:33 AM
My son (first kid) is due 4/23, wife was pissed when I got my AR, she wants to go shooting again so bad. So yea, HECK NO! Keep her away from the range, and LEAVE YOUR RANGE SHOES OUTSIDE. Shoot, I strip my shoes and clothes off in the garage and go take a shower first thing.
Congrats to you both!

live2suck
02-28-2012, 7:53 AM
1. Potential for lead exposure would have a greater impact on a developing fetus than a full grown adult.

2. No way to effectively protect the baby's ears from the muzzle blast.

This.

Stay away from fish in general as well. Mercury accumulation is bad enough in adults, but for a developing fetus it's a life sentence for central nervous system problems.

Congrats on the forthcoming child. :)

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
02-28-2012, 9:32 AM
Shoot, I strip my shoes and clothes off in the garage and go take a shower first thing.
Congrats to you both!

Same thing here MHShooter. I was at the range last weekend and they hardly ever have soap in their bathroom. I bring my own. I was with a buddy and asked if he wanted to wash his hands. He said no I'll just use sanitizer. I got about half way to the bathroom and walk back to his car and insisted that he wash his hands since we were going to Sonic right after range. He listened.

Agree with all do not risk taking her. Also when handling your ammo at home be sure to wash your hands before you feel that baby kicking in the belly ;)

Congrats OP. Your in for a fun ride.

JAGACIDA
02-28-2012, 9:57 AM
Now take this advice and present it to your wifes physician. Our prayers go with the wife and baby.

SGGear
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
HECK NO! Keep her away from the range, and LEAVE YOUR RANGE SHOES OUTSIDE. Shoot, I strip my shoes and clothes off in the garage and go take a shower first thing.
Congrats to you both!

That is exactly what I do too. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant and I wouldnt risk lead exposure.

MrExel17
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
-1 Wouldnt recommend it, and Congrats!

metalliman545
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
If you wanna chance a disabled child/potential social security check then by all means go shoot! But if you'd rather have a healthy gun loving kid just wait :). I know I'd hate guns if they made me retarded. Lol

GettoPhilosopher
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Nope. My wife hasn't even shot her new Sig yet. It sucks, but wait till after the baby is born.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

paul0660
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Interesting. There was a thread last year and I recall it was sort of 50-50.

Anyway, don't shoot, do get married.

NorCalK9.com
02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
ummmi clicked the link and an airsoft rifle showed up. Yes she can shoot airsoft as much as she desires!!!!

AVID HUNTER
02-28-2012, 1:41 PM
I'm just curious because my wife is pregnant as well. Since it is the lead that we are fearful of, what about having her exposed to the ammo. I have a safe in the house and have ammunition throughout the house. Do I need to move all the lead stuff outside?

maschronic
02-28-2012, 1:46 PM
Congrats..DAD.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..WHOOP-WHOOP..!

Gonna be beyond explanation raising a little one up..!:)

I would say NO...play it safe.

Be well Dad, Bob :)

if you listen to Bob, he will talk you into getting G17, G19, G20, G20, G20sf, G21, G27, G29, G29, G29sf, G29. haha.

i have to agree with the general consense. i asked my DR. about shooting when my wife was preg. Dr. said the same thing. I even stopped reloading at the house.

alfred1222
02-28-2012, 1:52 PM
i would go with NO. congrats tho!!

h0use
02-28-2012, 1:55 PM
congrats on being a dad! i was wondering what if you loaded her magazines and shot at a outdoor range? less harmfull?

gun toting monkeyboy
02-28-2012, 1:58 PM
The exposure to lead is wildly overstated. The ammount you would be exposed to while shooting is negligable. Wash your hands afterwards, and you will be fine. The noise is more of a problem after about 20 weeks when the ears start to develop. Prior to that, there are no ears to damage. It is interesting how much opinion on this changes with no new data to support anything. 10 years ago it was more than 75% yes. Now it is almost all no. It is your choice, but I don't see a problem with it. Nor have any of the OB/GYNs I have talked to about it over the years. But ultimately the decision is between you two, not what you hear on the internet.

-Mb

gl0ckc0ma
02-28-2012, 2:19 PM
I wouldnt risk it......congrats btw!

Eljay
02-28-2012, 3:02 PM
The exposure to lead is wildly overstated.

Bull****.

vta
02-28-2012, 3:05 PM
no go. congrats and please make an honest woman out of her :)

Bongos
02-28-2012, 3:06 PM
not worth it.. but glad to see she is into it.. also,,,, no reloading as well