PDA

View Full Version : AB 1559 (Portantino) 2012

Inoxmark
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
This bill was heavily edited on 4/11/12 and currently is only about importation of short barreled rifles and shotguns by entertainment industry.
The entire discussion below refers to the original text of the bill and is now outdated.
------------------
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_1559&sess=CUR&house=B&author=portantino

Looks like that bill is looking, among other things, to end paperless PPTs of C&R long guns a year sooner. (5) Existing law requires parties to a transaction to
transfer a firearm to complete the transaction through a licensed
firearms dealer if neither party to the transaction holds a dealer's
license. Existing law provides, until January 1, 2014, that the
requirement to complete the transaction through a licensed firearms
dealer does not apply if the transfer is infrequent, the firearm is
not a handgun, and the firearm is a curio or relic manufactured at
least 50 years prior to the current date, but is not a replica.
This bill would instead provide that, until January 1, 2014, the
requirement to complete the transfer through a licensed firearms
dealer does not apply to the transfer of a firearm if the transfer is
infrequent, the firearm is not a handgun, the firearm is a curio or
relic, the person receiving the firearm has a current certificate of
eligibility, and the person receiving the firearm is licensed as a
collector.

Don the savage
02-27-2012, 11:41 PM
From what I read all ffl 03's would be required to have a COE and be registered by the DOJ like ffl 01's. And all buyers would also have to have a COE for C&R purchases.
Does it ever end?

Mesa Tactical
02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
What problem are we trying to solve here?

jrr
02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
^ Nail. on. the. head. Look at the current crop of bills. Any argument that they are trying to stop crime goes out the window when you look at what they are doing now. Its getting guns out of the hands of everyone, not criminals, that they are after.

Stop Cops from owning their own "assault weapons", stop cops from doing PPT of non roster pistols, stop C&R licensees from getting guns from out of state. None of these things contribute to crime. But they are avenues of gun ownership that the grabbers can't abide by, so they want to take them away.

The current crop of laws REALLY drives home the old trope that Gun Control isn't about guns, its about Control. They just want to control all means of access to guns so they can choke them out, a little bit at a time.

littlejake
02-28-2012, 4:12 PM
From what I read all ffl 03's would be required to have a COE and be registered by the DOJ like ffl 01's. And all buyers would also have to have a COE for C&R purchases.
Does it ever end?

You mean: "...This bill would additionally require the Department of Justice to
include collectors of firearms, and dealers, importers, or manufacturers
of ammunition on its centralized list who are likewise federally licensed
and likewise claim the exemption from the specified state licensing
requirements..."

Librarian
02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
'Bad bill' is almost the default position in California law making.

But this thread is about the specifics of the bill, not gripes about how awful CA is.

Stay on topic, please.

stitchnicklas
02-29-2012, 1:16 PM
^
Stop Cops from owning their own "assault weapons", stop cops from doing PPT of non roster pistols, stop C&R licensees from getting guns from out of state. None of these things contribute to crime. But they are avenues of gun ownership that the grabbers can't abide by, so they want to take them away.

c&r holders can go out of state and buy any damn c&r they want,atf overrides state.

Petra
02-29-2012, 2:58 PM
Does it ever end?

Actually, it looks like this bit makes it so that the buyer must have both a COE and an 03FFL... no?

27966. (a) Until January 1, 2014, if all of the following
requirements are satisfied, Section 27545 shall not apply to the
sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm:
(1) The sale, loan, or transfer is infrequent, as defined in
Section 16730.
(2) The firearm is not a handgun.
(3) The firearm is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11
of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.
(4) The person receiving the firearm has a current certificate of
eligibility issued pursuant to Section 26710.
(5) The person receiving the firearm is licensed as a collector
pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of
the United States Code and the regulations issued thereto.

Well, if this thing passes, it means that I'm going to have to get a COE to complement my 03FFL ahead of my original schedule. I swear... sometimes it seems like the politicians are testing us just to see how many hoops we're willing to jump through.

Kodemonkey
02-29-2012, 6:02 PM
I swear... sometimes it seems like the politicians are testing us just to see how many hoops we're willing to jump through.

Incremental change... they are just chipping away at our liberties piece by piece. Soon, C&R guns will be the "loophole" that they need to close and will require registration.