PDA

View Full Version : How do you purchase a gun in a free state?

Muscles Glasses
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
What is the process for purchasing a gun at a store in a free state. As far as I know you go in, tell the guy behind the counter which one you want, wait anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour for the background check to go through and you go home with your gun. Is there anything else to it or did I pretty much dead on?
I am mostly interested in information on the background check process. How does the purchasing of a gun in a free state differ as opposed to California. For example why does it take 10 days for us to get our gun but a free state can pretty much walk right out the door the day of the purchase?

tdyoung1958
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
That's how it is in PA, and private sale rifles / shotguns don't need anything but a handshake, pistols still require NICS checks

And to get a License to Carry Firearms (PA is a license not a permit), You walk into the sheriff's office and fill out the paperwork, they check NICS and you leave with the license if your all good (does depend on the county) but PA is a "shall issue" state where you get it if your not prohibited

NytWolf
02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
We've been through this before time in and time out. The 10 days has nothing to do with the process. It's just a "cooling off period".

Muscles Glasses
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
We've been through this before time in and time out. The 10 days has nothing to do with the process. It's just a "cooling off period".

So we have the exact same background check as any other state?

Massan
02-27-2012, 11:20 PM
The background check is still the same NCIS check throughout the nation. In VA you walk in with your drivers license and registration and walk out 10-15 minutes later with your pistol/rifle/shotgun. Only in restricted states like CA force you to "cool off".

Muscles Glasses
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
The background check is still the same NCIS check throughout the nation. In VA you walk in with your drivers license and registration and walk out 10-15 minutes later with your pistol/rifle/shotgun. Only in restricted states like CA force you to "cool off".

You would think making somebody wait any longer then what is necessary would build up a bit of tension rather then let them "cool off".

trob
02-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I go in, pick a gun, fill out the normal paperwork, hand him the visa/DL/ccw, and take the gun home... Can be in and out in 5 minutes

also, since I have my ccw, they don't have to call in for a background check. Just doing the paperwork is sufficient because I was thoroughly checked out when I got my ccw.

wayneinFL
02-28-2012, 5:47 AM
I just picked up 2 shotguns and two handguns at a dealer yesterday. Took about 15 minutes. Have to fill out a 4473, wait for the call, show the dealer my CCW and DL. Picked up four rifles from a private seller in Miami yesterday, too- shook hands and handed him the cash. Drove home with 8 guns in the back seat.

Hardest part was sneaking them in past my wife.

zfields
02-28-2012, 5:51 AM
I just picked up 2 shotguns and two handguns at a dealer yesterday. Took about 15 minutes. Have to fill out a 4473, wait for the call, show the dealer my CCW and DL. Picked up four rifles from a private seller in Miami yesterday, too- shook hands and handed him the cash. Drove home with 8 guns in the back seat.

Hardest part was sneaking them in past my wife.

Here in tx, If you have a chl there is No background call needed. Private sales are....well.....private. No ffl needed for ftf transfers.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

TNP'R
02-28-2012, 6:24 AM
In TN you go in tell the guy what you want he brings it to the counter you show him ID, makes you fill out the DROS. Then he gets on the phone and does the background check and it can take any where from 5 minutes to an hour just depending on how busy they are but usually it only takes 5 minutes. After he gets the ok that you cleared the background check you pay the man and you leave with your new firearm.

Also TN is like PA and TX, you don't need an FFL for private purchases.

VegasND
02-28-2012, 6:25 AM
I don't know where any 'free states' are, but there are quite a few that only have Federal restrictions. In those places private party sales are cash and carry while dealer sales involve a CCW or 4473 with phone call. The phone call be as short as under 5 minutes to whenever somebody gets to the call (Christmas eve is a lousy time to buy a gun).
How do you purchase a gun in a free state?

dls
02-28-2012, 6:34 AM
I bought my first hand gun(GP100) while stationed in South Carolina 1991,
Since I was a Cali boy, I asked the guy " how long will it take to get it?"
He said "how long will it take you to fill this out?"
I walked out with my .357 in about 10 min.

Hopalong
02-28-2012, 7:05 AM
I go in, pick a gun, fill out the normal paperwork, hand him the visa/DL/ccw, and take the gun home... Can be in and out in 5 minutes

also, since I have my ccw, they don't have to call in for a background check. Just doing the paperwork is sufficient because I was thoroughly checked out when I got my ccw.

Oh my God, the insanity of it all.

zfields
02-28-2012, 7:21 AM

10 minutes? You will get faster. I'm down to about 7 minutes, not including shooting the breeze with my ffl

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Don Edmondson
02-28-2012, 7:53 AM
In Idaho you pick out the gun fill out the DROS they call it in. if you have a ccw fill out the DROS pay for it walk the door. Don

high_lander
02-28-2012, 8:33 AM
Yeah I have done 2 FTF sales here in TX, one in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, and another in a Starbucks parking lot. Checked ID both times. Arranged the sales through Texes Gun Talk. No gov't interference.

I just got my TX CHL, and I am chomping at the bit to buy another gun (prolly another 1911) just not have a NICS check done on me. still have to fill out the 4473 though.

bloodhawke83
02-28-2012, 9:06 AM
In FL, you do the background check paper work. They fax it into NICS, call them, and they'll answer back you pass. Pay for gun and walk out the store with gun.

If they store had the NICS software on the computer, its a pass or fail as soon as they enter it.

tuna quesadilla
02-28-2012, 9:13 AM
So we have the exact same background check as any other state?

What's a background check? :confused:

SanPedroShooter
02-28-2012, 9:17 AM
I thought DROS was California specific acronym. I searched for 'Idaho DROS' and didny get anything.... (for good reason)

Fed 4473, Instant NICS, take gun home.

TNP'R
02-28-2012, 9:26 AM
I thought DROS was California specific acronym. I searched for 'Idaho DROS' and didny get anything.... (for good reason)

Fed 4473, Instant NICS, take gun home.

Well whatever, i'm used to calling it DROS since I started my gun buying in CA its kinda hard for me to switch over so I just say DROS for the background check.

Tiberius
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Whoa - for some reason I thought that many, if not most, states had some form of a waiting or "cooling off" period. Which, of course, makes zero sense for anyone who already has a weapon.

But is California one of the few states with a waiting period? I'm pretty sure I've heard of some state where there's a waiting period, unless you already own a gun.

zfields
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Couple other states have 3-5 day waits that I know of.

alfred1222
02-28-2012, 1:28 PM
Whoa - for some reason I thought that many, if not most, states had some form of a waiting or "cooling off" period. Which, of course, makes zero sense for anyone who already has a weapon.

But is California one of the few states with a waiting period? I'm pretty sure I've heard of some state where there's a waiting period, unless you already own a gun.

THIS. i dont get why there should be a "cooling off period" after someone has already bought their first gun...

Databyter
02-28-2012, 1:37 PM

It's a good thing that they have this cooling off period, because if I ever get mad, you know I have to go postal with a NEW gun and not one of the many I already own. :facepalm:

lil_jackal
02-28-2012, 2:44 PM
THIS. i dont get why there should be a "cooling off period" after someone has already bought their first gun...

CA would be slightly less of a headache if after your 1st gun they hand a certificate of some kind not needing to wait 10 days after your first purchase since you already have a gun ... what .. i can dream !!! :)

JamesY
02-28-2012, 2:50 PM
In NV, you walk in, pick the gun, fill out paperwork, wait for NICS check to be done, and you're free to go. If you're in Clark Co. and are buying a pistol, you might have to wait 3 days if you don't already have a pistol (need to show them "blue card" as proof).

The War Wagon
02-28-2012, 2:52 PM
At whim. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon10.gif

VegasND
02-28-2012, 4:31 PM
You forgot one important fact about Nevada; the $25 the state charges for a NICS check the feds do for free. It's just theft to appease the Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association.
In NV, you walk in, pick the gun, fill out paperwork, wait for NICS check to be done, and you're free to go. If you're in Clark Co. and are buying a pistol, you might have to wait 3 days if you don't already have a pistol (need to show them "blue card" as proof).

locktime
02-28-2012, 4:33 PM
I've found some nice ones at garage sales.

JAGACIDA
02-28-2012, 4:51 PM
Face to face in ME requires you be a resident and the buyer a resident, nothing else except age and oral statement. New purchase, fill out 4473, background check and pay. Check out the firearms section in 'Uncle Henrys' website. Some prohibiteds do try to purchase off private party ads however.

duc748bip
02-28-2012, 5:34 PM
You would think making somebody wait any longer then what is necessary would build up a bit of tension rather then let them "cool off".

Haha then its "premeditated"

ldivinag
02-28-2012, 6:09 PM
i hate this thread...

sigh...

RobinGoodfellow
02-28-2012, 11:46 PM
In Florida, my home state, there is a 3-day waiting period for pistol purchases from a retailer. For those of us with the Florida CCW, there is no waiting period--just the instant background check. I never had a background check last more than a few minutes.

Florida is a "shall issue" state, so qualifying for a CCW is pretty easy.

No waiting period or paperwork for private party transfers.

Overall, much more civilized.

smokinstang65
02-29-2012, 1:12 AM

hahaha this. I'm currently stationed in South Carolina and I bought my first AR here. I filled out all the forms and after the calls he said I was good to go and I asked, "Cool, so when do I pick it up?". He laughed and said, "You take it with you now, welcome to the South"

Quiet
02-29-2012, 1:29 AM
You forgot one important fact about Nevada; the $25 the state charges for a NICS check the feds do for free. It's just theft to appease the Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association.

At least if you have a NV CFP issued after 07-01-2011, you are exempt from the NICS check/fee.

chrisf
02-29-2012, 2:04 AM
How did I know z would chime in? I just don't get the 10 day "cool down" process. If I already have 10 guns at home, What would stop me from going loco on myself or others?? I believe it is a good rule IF YOU DONT ALREADY OWN A WEAPON. I believe down in florida they have a 10 day for first time gun owners but people who already own weapons are exempt. That there is what we call a "smart law"

dieselpower
02-29-2012, 5:48 AM
In TN you go in tell the guy what you want he brings it to the counter you show him ID, makes you fill out the DROS. Then he gets on the phone and does the background check and it can take any where from 5 minutes to an hour just depending on how busy they are but usually it only takes 5 minutes. After he gets the ok that you cleared the background check you pay the man and you leave with your new firearm.

Also TN is like PA and TX, you don't need an FFL for private purchases.

You have a DROS (DEALERS RECORD OF SALE) in TN? I don't think so. I think you mean you fill out the ATF Form 4473, which is a Federal New Firearms purchase application.

To the OP if this has not been confirmed to you...
California has the same checks as all the other States. We have two to eight extra steps other States do not have.

All States
New purchase
1) ATF Form 4473
2) Show State Resident ID which matches info on ATF 4473
3) NICS, NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL SYSTEM, FFL runs your name through a Federal maintained data base

California all above PLUS...
4) DROS, is a DEALERS RECORD OF SALE, The California DoJ has this system in place to take a closer look at you. They will stop the sale for other minor things NICS will not...like unpaid parking tickets and current bankruptcy filings.
5) 10 day wait. A ten 24 hour period said to make sure you are not mad at someone and are buying a gun to go murder them. Even people with 100 firearms must wait.
6) Buying Limits. You may not purchase more than 1 new handgun every 30 days.
7) AW Law. You may not purchase firearms with a certain name or certain features
8) Gun Locks. For every firearm you buy you MUST also buy a lock or sign a waiver indicating you own a safe also giving the information on type of safe and date of purchase of safe. Many FFLs will not offer the safe waiver.
9) HSC. HANDGUN SAFETY CERTIFICATE. If buying a handgun for the first time you must pass a test. You don't have to buy a handgun at the time you take the test, but you cant buy a handgun without first taking the test. many people just take the test, get the 5 year cert and do not buy a handgun.
10) Safe Handling test. In California you must be shown the correct way to load, unload, store a firearm. You must then demonstrate that to the FFL before he releases the firearm to you.
11) Safe handgun. Only handguns that have passed a certain "test" may be sold to a civilian. LEO and some others are exempt from this.

Other States have other laws... In most other states person to person sales are just like buying a skill saw at a garage sale... guns are nothing more than tools. As long as you don't know or have reason to believe the buyer is a criminal then you can just hand them the firearm.

VegasND
02-29-2012, 5:56 AM
Yeah. We had that once before too; the Sheriffs' and Chiefs' screwed us out of that due to their greed. It can happen again. Nevada needs to revise and eliminate many laws. It should be obvious by now that working hard to be California-Lite isn't a smart move.
At least if you have a NV CFP issued after 07-01-2011, you are exempt from the NICS check/fee.

wayneinFL
02-29-2012, 6:44 AM
How did I know z would chime in? I just don't get the 10 day "cool down" process. If I already have 10 guns at home, What would stop me from going loco on myself or others?? I believe it is a good rule IF YOU DONT ALREADY OWN A WEAPON. I believe down in florida they have a 10 day for first time gun owners but people who already own weapons are exempt. That there is what we call a "smart law"

Florida has a three day waiting period on handguns. Counties can impose up to 5 days on any gun. According to FL law, you can get around the waiting period with a CWFL, or when trading a firearm.

Another little quirk in our laws here- we had an instant background check system before the Brady Bill was passed. Our CWFLs are issued by the FDACS, but the background check for buying a firearm is through FDLE. So the CWFL does not exempt you from the instant check.

I remember when they passed the background check bill. I was working the sporting goods counter at Kmart at the time and had some PO'ed customers over that one. I remember when a customer pointed out that anyone could come in and buy the firearm to pass the instant check, then hand it to someone else outside the store. 20 years later, we still haven't figured out how to stop straw sales.

TNP'R
02-29-2012, 8:22 AM
You have a DROS (DEALERS RECORD OF SALE) in TN? I don't think so. I think you mean you fill out the ATF Form 4473, which is a Federal New Firearms purchase application.

To the OP if this has not been confirmed to you...
California has the same checks as all the other States. We have two to eight extra steps other States do not have.

All States
New purchase
1) ATF Form 4473
2) Show State Resident ID which matches info on ATF 4473
3) NICS, NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL SYSTEM, FFL runs your name through a Federal maintained data base

California all above PLUS...
4) DROS, is a DEALERS RECORD OF SALE, The California DoJ has this system in place to take a closer look at you. They will stop the sale for other minor things NICS will not...like unpaid parking tickets and current bankruptcy filings.
5) 10 day wait. A ten 24 hour period said to make sure you are not mad at someone and are buying a gun to go murder them. Even people with 100 firearms must wait.
6) Buying Limits. You may not purchase more than 1 new handgun every 30 days.
7) AW Law. You may not purchase firearms with a certain name or certain features
8) Gun Locks. For every firearm you buy you MUST also buy a lock or sign a waiver indicating you own a safe also giving the information on type of safe and date of purchase of safe. Many FFLs will not offer the safe waiver.
9) HSC. HANDGUN SAFETY CERTIFICATE. If buying a handgun for the first time you must pass a test. You don't have to buy a handgun at the time you take the test, but you cant buy a handgun without first taking the test. many people just take the test, get the 5 year cert and do not buy a handgun.
10) Safe Handling test. In California you must be shown the correct way to load, unload, store a firearm. You must then demonstrate that to the FFL before he releases the firearm to you.
11) Safe handgun. Only handguns that have passed a certain "test" may be sold to a civilian. LEO and some others are exempt from this.

Other States have other laws... In most other states person to person sales are just like buying a skill saw at a garage sale... guns are nothing more than tools. As long as you don't know or have reason to believe the buyer is a criminal then you can just hand them the firearm.

I just say DROS out of habit i'll get in the habit of calling a background check a 4473 I've only been in TN for a few months so.

audiophil2
02-29-2012, 9:03 AM
Here in AZ we have a few choices all of which I have done.
1. Go to FFL, pick out gun, fill out 4473, hand over CCW, pay bill.

2. Take wife to FFL, pick out first gun of her own, fill out 4473, hand over CCW, pick out holster, get free ammo, pay bill. Get ready to walk out the door. FFL tells wife unloaded gun is just a chunk of metal. Tells her to put holster on, load weapon, holster weapon, then leave armed.

3. Call FFL. Tell him I want gun "x". FFL delivers gun to house, does 4473, takes cash. Transaction completed outside by pool.

The face to face cash and carries are more fun.

Chief2Guns
02-29-2012, 9:46 AM

OH man this made my morning thanks for the laugh. LOL

Kalderis40
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

2. Take wife to FFL, pick out first gun of her own, fill out 4473, hand over CCW, pick out holster, get free ammo, pay bill. Get ready to walk out the door. FFL tells wife unloaded gun is just a chunk of metal. Tells her to put holster on, load weapon, holster weapon, then leave armed.

3. Call FFL. Tell him I want gun "x". FFL delivers gun to house, does 4473, takes cash. Transaction completed outside by pool.

I like #2 :)

greybeard
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Well there is NY can take 6 months.

DevilDog1988
03-19-2012, 1:20 PM
In North Carolina to buy a rifle you just fill out some paperwork and you can walk out with as many rifles as you want. For a pistol you go to the sheriffs dept fill out some paperwork which takes about 3 minutes and they give you up to 5 pistol purchase permits. Take those to the gun store and walk out with your 5 new guns. If you have a CCW or are LEO you dont need to get permits. Just walk into a gun store and buy what you want. I LOVE LIVING IN A FREE STATE!!

VegasND
03-19-2012, 7:44 PM
Going to the police officer station to get permission to purchase private property is a requirement of a FREE STATE?

There's the problem boys and girls -- America has forgotten what 'free' means.
In North Carolina to buy a rifle you just fill out some paperwork and you can walk out with as many rifles as you want. For a pistol you go to the sheriffs dept fill out some paperwork which takes about 3 minutes and they give you up to 5 pistol purchase permits. Take those to the gun store and walk out with your 5 new guns. If you have a CCW or are LEO you dont need to get permits. Just walk into a gun store and buy what you want. I LOVE LIVING IN A FREE STATE!!

USMC 82-86
03-19-2012, 8:01 PM
In my home state of South Carolina it would take on average about 20 minutes done. Buying from an individual exchange the cash and exchange the gun. I always had them sign a note with name, address and license number. I only sold to people I knew personally but that was just me.

Capybara
03-19-2012, 8:04 PM
The only good thing about out ridiculous 10 day cooling off period and one handgun every 30 days is that without it, I would be a lot more broke than I am. If I could walk into a well stocked gun store and just walk out with all of the handguns I want, I would be so broke.

If I ever move to a free state, I have already decided I will be a machine gun owner x 5, at least two suppressors, an SBR or two, my mind is swirling, I think I would go on quite a buying spree.

RobinGoodfellow
03-19-2012, 8:12 PM
In Florida, my home state, I walked into the gun store, looked around, waited 5 minutes for the background check, then just laid my greenbacks on the counter. Since I had a Florida CCW permit I walked out a few minutes later with my NIB pistol. I spent more time shopping than waiting on the background check.

Much more civilized.

Vanguard
03-19-2012, 9:14 PM
I walked into Cheaper than Dirt (which happens to be 10 minutes from my house), told the guy I wanted a Glock 26, I filled out the paperwork, they ran the check and walked out with the gun (along with 3 x 30 round pmags for my AR) in less than 30 minutes. From my doorstep, back to my doorstep was 50-55 minutes total. It was an amazing feeling.

My CCL is on the way so when I get that, I can skip the check altogether. Freedom feels good.

huntercf
03-19-2012, 10:37 PM
In WA state if its a rifle just the background check and you walk out with the gun, even if you are out of state. Pistol is a 5 day wait period and if you are out of state they have to ship it to a FFL in your home state.

TNP'R
03-19-2012, 11:09 PM
You don't have to have a trigger lock with your purchase here in TN.

Colt-45
03-19-2012, 11:22 PM

Oh man:eek:, sounds like something I just HAVE TO have the pleasure of doing some day.