PDA

View Full Version : Can I legally sale?

jpwups
02-27-2012, 10:38 PM
I have a bushmaster AR-15 that I bought before the ban took place. It is registered to me as an assault weapon. My question is can I legally sale it if I chose to. Would it have to be sold to someone out of state or what? If you KNOW please help. I just dont get to use it much.Thanks

emy
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
you can sell it out of state, legally where are you located?

alfred1222
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
as far as i know, it has to be sold out of state. it cannot be sold or transferred in california. someone correct me if im wrong.

jpwups
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Im in California. I wonder if an LEO in Ca could buy it?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
as far as i know, it has to be sold out of state. it cannot be sold or transferred in california. someone correct me if im wrong.

In theory, not correct. The weapon can be purchased by an FFL with an AW permit, or by anyone willing to jump through the hoops set up in the AWCA. In practice, it does seem that selling it to an FFL or selling out of state are the most practical options in most cases as the requirements for a non-LEO to purchase a RAW are roughly similar to those involved in the purchase of a select-fire weapon. I do recall seeing a post somewhere here on Calguns within the last couple of days in which the poster states that they, a non-LEO, managed to negotiate the Byzantine process of law and purchase an AW. Perhaps they'll see this in chime in.

As to an LEO purchase, I don't see why not, but the transaction would (if I understand the statutes correctly) have to be processed through an AW permitted FFL and the officer would have to produce the required letter.

Librarian
02-27-2012, 11:37 PM
As to an LEO purchase, I don't see why not, but the transaction would (if I understand the statutes correctly) have to be processed through an AW permitted FFL and the officer would have to produce the required letter.

No direct sales - PC 30910
Except as provided in Section 30925, no assault weapon
possessed pursuant to this article may be sold or transferred on or
after January 1, 1990, to anyone within this state other than to a
licensed gun dealer or as provided in Section 31100.

31100 is Any individual may arrange in advance to relinquish an
assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle to a police or sheriff's
department. The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle shall be transported
in accordance with Sections 16850 and 25610.

No strong motivation to buy used when they can buy new, though.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-28-2012, 7:34 PM
I cheerfully stand corrected! Thanks Librarian.

Intimid8tor
02-28-2012, 7:46 PM
Don't sell it. You will never get it back. If you want, sell the upper and accessories and keep the lower. As far as I know it is only the lower that is registered as a RAW just like a lower is the only part that is dros'ed.

axel4488
02-28-2012, 8:15 PM
I don't know. Can you SALE anything? I can SELL anything all day long if I find the right buyer.