PDA

View Full Version : Gun being reported stolen and recovered...

Ub3rDorK
02-27-2012, 7:46 PM
So lets say someone had their house broken into a little over a year ago and thought their pistol was stolen from them....had a police report about it being stolen and ....Come to find out, it was misplaced in a box in a closet and now doesn't know what to do with it? Assuming they have all the original paperwork and documentation for it....So what would be the next steps to get it to be legal...or possibly sell it to a friend?

Keep in mind this is hypothetical.

0321jarhead
02-27-2012, 7:57 PM
If you still have the police report number or not, go downtown and tell the police your story. They won't bite. That's what I would do. I would also give the police the serial number and gun info too. But, leave the gun at home.

Ub3rDorK
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
That's what I thought too. Anyone have experience like this?

paul0660
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Sounds like one of those rare instances when the truth works.

Jeepers
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
just go to the PD and get it straiten out , just hopefully he didnt have a insurance claim on the loss, i am not sure what the insurance company would say if discovered not to be stolen .....

SVT-40
02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
It's important to make a follow up report so the LEO's can remove the serial number from the computer showing it as stolen.

It's actually not uncommon for these type of things to happen. Depending on the agency they may need to see it to verify it was actually found.

alfred1222
02-28-2012, 12:26 PM
ya i would go with just being honest and telling them the truth

A-J
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Honesty is hte best policy, as granny always said.

From a legal standpoint WRT ownership - if the loss was covered by insurance and they paid up, then technically it belongs to them.

Ub3rDorK
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Assuming there was no insurance claim on it.... Still the owners property?

Rockit
02-28-2012, 1:02 PM
It's important to make a follow up report so the LEO's can remove the serial number from the computer showing it as stolen.
This.
Not a big deal at all.

Rockit
02-28-2012, 1:16 PM
AND.....If you ever report a vehicle stolen and then find out a few days later that your kids just borrowed it to go to camping at the coast.....
#1..call and clear it up.
#2..Don't get pissed at me when I do a vehicle stop, and thinking you're driving a stolen car treat you like a bad guy.:facepalm:

The guy could not believe that I had the audacity to think that a mid 50's white guy could have stolen an 70's era Chevy PU.

woods
02-28-2012, 1:27 PM
Call the insurance and police and be honest. Honesty is awesome when it's possible. You will be paying back some money maybe but you got your gun back.

Seen a similar situation where something was reported stolen with a vehicle and found at home later. The insurance was notified but the company never wanted the money back.

cannon
02-28-2012, 3:50 PM
Sounds like one of those rare instances when the truth works.

The police won't care. They just do another form and the situation is cleared up.