PDA

View Full Version : Woodland arrest: drugs, etc + possession of a high capacity magazine

mrmichael
02-27-2012, 7:25 PM
http://woodland.news10.net/news/crime/93904-woodland-men-arrested-assault-weapon-drug-search

This jumped out at me because "possession of a high capacity magazine" was listed in the charges ... and because I commonly walk by this house when I'm walking around my neighborhood. Eek!

Anyway, I think it's probably pretty typical in that the "possession of a high capacity magazine" was tacked onto a bunch of other illegal acts. It's still disturbing that the professionals -- by this I mean media and law enforcement -- are reporting a nonexistent crime.

d4v0s
02-27-2012, 7:39 PM
That is not exactly true, lets just go with the idea that he is 23. he would not have been 18 when the ban was put in place. And he could have had a magazine that was made for a gun that was manufactured after the ban.

He could have also opened his mouth during the arrest. I realize the law doesn't specify ownership as against the law, but isn't that assuming you somehow acquired them legally.

mrmichael
02-27-2012, 7:46 PM
This may sound stupid but I didn't know that ownership was illegal even if you acquired a high capacity magazine illegally -- short of stealing them, I mean. That would be "possession of stolen property" I would guess.

I would have thought that the charge would be manufacture, or importation, etc, not possession.

kel-tec-innovations
02-27-2012, 7:50 PM
That is not exactly true, lets just go with the idea that he is 23. he would not have been 18 when the ban was put in place. And he could have had a magazine that was made for a gun that was manufactured after the ban.

He could have also opened his mouth during the arrest. I realize the law doesn't specify ownership as against the law, but isn't that assuming you somehow acquired them legally.

I purchased AK mags when I was 11 as collectible for future guns I want to own. There is no age requirement to own magazines. Unless you have high cap mags for guns that never existed before the ban.

Most likely the LEO asked questions which tricked him in admitting. BUT then again NEWS love to over blow the story and call any form of guns as "assault weapons" Any black rifles are called "AK47" any bullets as "armor piercing cop homing bullets"

dirtyJ
02-27-2012, 7:51 PM

Show me where it says he had to have been 18 to own a magazine. Last I check, you could legally own most items when you were 1 hour old. Not necessarily cognizant of it, but there's nothing that says you have to be 18 to own ANY magazine. Possession isn't against the law, if he got popped for it they were just shotgunning charges hoping something sticks.

choprzrul
02-27-2012, 7:51 PM

???

2 year olds could have been given std cap mags and legally possess them.

vmwerks
02-27-2012, 7:53 PM
Seriously who gives a crap -play stupid games win stupid prizes

cdtx2001
02-27-2012, 7:54 PM
Crimeny folks!!!!! Must we go over this again???

This is how the media views firearms:

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae90/cdtx2001/JournalistsGuideToAWs.jpg

mrmichael
02-27-2012, 8:38 PM
Seriously who gives a crap -play stupid games win stupid prizes

I guess I do! I don't want a drug house next door, but I care about about our Constitution, and I hate that something that is normal, legal, and proper (even in California) becomes something subversive. Possession of subversive materials!

I'm really not trying to beat the dead "high cap" horse anymore. I know the media is what it is. But I don't have to like it. And I care enough to finally, for the first time in my life, donate to political causes: SAF, NRA, and Calguns. So there! :)

SVT-40
02-28-2012, 7:05 PM
http://woodland.news10.net/news/crime/93904-woodland-men-arrested-assault-weapon-drug-search

This jumped out at me because "possession of a high capacity magazine" was listed in the charges ... and because I commonly walk by this house when I'm walking around my neighborhood. Eek!

Anyway, I think it's probably pretty typical in that the "possession of a high capacity magazine" was tacked onto a bunch of other illegal acts. It's still disturbing that the professionals -- by this I mean media and law enforcement -- are reporting a nonexistent crime.

Your assuming the "professionals" and I mean law enforcement actually used the term "possession" of a high capacity magazine. The news media are far far from being "professionals" when dealing in legalese. In fact they usually go to the extreme and sensational to sell papers. "To hell with the "truth"

Remember just because a newspaper prints something does not mean it's true, or that the actual charges are in fact listed as what they claim.

The subtle nuances in the high capacity law are in news terms to hard to translate into words the unwashed masses can understand. Thus it's easier for them to paraphrase and simply say "possession" of a high capacity magazine.

Shellshocker66
02-29-2012, 4:51 AM
Michael Persyn, 23, is accused of possession of an assault rifle, possession of a high capacity magazine, cultivation of marijuana, possession of marijuana for sale, possession of a destructive device in inhabited dwelling, conspiracy, being armed during the commission of a felony, and possession of stolen property.

Somehow I have a feeling these boys were not playing by the rules (I dunno maybe the drug charges made me think that). For all we know the bad guy has said he purchased the magazine in Nevada and put it on his non bb AR or AK. Most of these guys are not the brightest when it comes to keeping silent till the lawyer arrives.

Either way, I'm sure they are in more trouble for the gardening then they are for the standard capacity magazine. Or even better that destructive device?

It might be an extra charge or like I said it might be just a stupid criminal running his mouth off.